• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ears & Planes....

cinmell

DIS Veteran
I don't know if this is the correct board to post this on, but for those of you who have ear trouble or children with ear trouble when flying, what do you do or take to help with your ears on flights. Do 'earplanes' work?

We've flown twice when our older DD was age 13 months and age 18 months. We never had a problem. We had bottles packed in case of ear problems. I can't remember if we ever had to use them.

I've had all kinds of ear trouble in my adult years. I recommend Benadryl to help dry out any congestion or fluids and Advil if there is any inflamation. Just an aside - this combination can make you sleepy so consider that if you plan to drive...

I can't say enough good things about this product. They came highly recommended from my pharmacist. We pack them for every trip. You can check out their web site www.earplanes.com :D

My younger son has always had problems with his ears. He's now 12 and occasionally still has a problem when flying. He uses the antihistamine before a flight and that usually helps. I myself used the earplanes when I had acold and they really help. You don't mention ages but a bottle of water may be helpful it seemed to work better than just swallowing on your own.

When we went in 2000 it was my daughters first trip. Don't know if it was the earplanes but she had no problems. We'll be getting them again when we go in November!

Earplanes!!!

I have had chronic ear problems for my entire life. Cannot land in a plane without coming close to tears. I tried earplanes for the first time on a business trip (did not think I should cry in front of my VP ;) ).

THey worked like a charm!!! I plan to get these for my DS for his first trip to WDW in January.

Debbie

We have always used Earplanes along with a dose of sinus medicine (given at least one hour before take-off, so it has a chance to start working). Never any problems with our little one.

I have a 1-yo and a 3-yo and are flying in Nov. Are kids apt to remove the Earplanes? I am planning on buying them but am wondering if my kids will try to take them out. I just keep remember trying to put hats on them to no avail! Thanks for any info!!

Last time we flew dd just turned 3. We used the earplanes and didn't have a problem. She didn't touch them at all.

My two year old has chronic ear problems - she was fine sucking on a bottle (which is why we didn't get rid of it before the trip). My three year old chews gum.

(Though the earplanes sound very nice).

Both my kids are off the bottle. I think we'll be getting the Earplanes for sure but just in case either take them out...do you think sippy cups would be a good alternative?

I read the instructions on the box & it said that you should put them in 1 hour ahead of time. Is this true - I can't imagine that my son would keep them in while waiting to board.
thanks

The box DOES say to put them in 1 hour before, but since my daugters ears only hurt during landing ( and she too, cries the whole time were are descending) we just put them in on the plane. We have a 2 hour flight so once we take off, and get in the air, we stick them in. We used them once, and she said it still hurt a little, but she didnt cry or whine at all. Usually shes making a scene crying ..lol.. and shes 9!!

Aimee

PS.. where do you get the disney countdown things at???

Originally posted by Distriv
I read the instructions on the box & it said that you should put them in 1 hour ahead of time. Is this true - I can't imagine that my son would keep them in while waiting to board.
thanks

I put dd's in as soon as we got settled into our seat on the plane. They seemed to work fine. Good luck to you!! :D

My daughter has difficulty on shorter (2 hour) flights. It seems that the entire flight is spent going up or coming down. Once she outgrew bottles, we would give her gum and that helped alot. Now, she has braces and can't chew gum, so we give her lollipops. Anything that keeps a person swallowing is going to help.

I've never heard about the earplane things and will look into them.

Benadryl worked great for my DD when we flew across country two years ago. It decongests and helps them get drowsy too so they sleep and miss the whole landing thing.

PLUTO2,

The directions on the box, says you should not keep them in for the whole flight. I don't need them for takeoff, but put them in a hour or so before we are scheduled to land.

Good Luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter