Easiest to hardest for transportation? OKW/SSR/AKL?

luv2sleep

DIS Veteran
I've been trying to figure out how easy/ hard transportation is to/ from these resorts (OKW/SSR/AKL) to the parks (HS, EPCOT and MK only for this trip). If you had to rank them in order from easiest to hardest what would that order be?

I would put AKL at the top of the list with OKW and SSR tied for last place. With AKL, the bus goes to Kidani first, then to Jambo House, then to the park...no other stops. Yes, it is a bit further out, but I like the lack of addtl stops. If you are going to DTD, the bus will stop at Jambo first, then to Kidani.
I have found the mulitple stops within OKW and SSR to be a bit annoying. If you are at the first stop, then it could be at least 15 mins before you leave the actual property!!!! There are mulitple stops within each resort.

goofy4tink said:
I would put AKL at the top of the list with OKW and SSR tied for last place. With AKL, the bus goes to Kidani first, then to Jambo House, then to the park...no other stops. Yes, it is a bit further out, but I like the lack of addtl stops. If you are going to DTD, the bus will stop at Jambo first, then to Kidani.
I have found the mulitple stops within OKW and SSR to be a bit annoying. If you are at the first stop, then it could be at least 15 mins before you leave the actual property!!!! There are mulitple stops within each resort.

Thank you!!!! I will try for AKL then if its available at 7 months. Want to go Jan 1-4, 2014 or Jan 2-4, 2014.

Agree with goofy4tink. We prefer the busing from AKV over SSR and OKW. I think you should be ok at the 7 month mark unless you are trying to get into concierge level or value studios.

Agree with goofy4tink. We prefer the busing from AKV over SSR and OKW. I think you should be ok at the 7 month mark unless you are trying to get into concierge level or value studios.

Oh great!!!! I will take whatever is the available cheapest (less points) studio at the time.

OKW and SSR are right next to each other and both are significantly closer to EP and DHS than AKL is. When we stayed at OKW we had a car, but we took the bus to DHS once and it was easy. We just walked 5 min from our room in the Turtle Pond section to the HH to get the bus.

Our worst bus / transportation experience EVER was at OKW. We were miserable the entire week over the entire transportation situation. We used water taxis when we could but we literally spent close to an hour and a half one night trying to get to MK on the bus. Very frustrating. One night we had dinner ressies at Boma. We were so frustrated with the buses at OKW we took the water taxi to DTD but then had to wait forever on a bus at DTD. It took us a good hour and 45 min. if not just almost 2 hours to get to AKL (and of course we were late even tho we allowed 90 minutes).:sad2: Our experience at SSR was excellent and AKV has been OK for the most part. But OKW :scared:.

Anal Annie said:
Our worst bus / transportation experience EVER was at OKW. We were miserable the entire week over the entire transportation situation. We used water taxis when we could but we literally spent close to an hour and a half one night trying to get to MK on the bus. Very frustrating. One night we had dinner ressies at Boma. We were so frustrated with the buses at OKW we took the water taxi to DTD but then had to wait forever on a bus at DTD. It took us a good hour and 45 min. if not just almost 2 hours to get to AKL (and of course we were late even tho we allowed 90 minutes).:sad2: Our experience at SSR was excellent and AKV has been OK for the most part. But OKW :scared:.

Since the two resorts are near each other what accounts for this difference on transportation delay?

The one time we stayed at OKW, we took the bus back from Epcot. We spent the same amount of time within the resort, getting to our bus stop, as we did getting to OKW from Epcot!!! Boggled my mind.
And I don't see SSR as all that much better. It's a very beautiful resort. I enjoyed my stay there, although I did find it somewhat confusing to find my way around that first night!!! My bus stop, Grandstand, was the first to be picked up...so after we made all the addtl stops, it was quite awhile before you actually left the resort. Same situation as with OKW.
Much prefer AKL...especially Kidani!!!

I would definitely put AKV over SSR and OKW. I haven't stayed at OKW so I base it on what I've heard. Bus service at AKV isn't bad. We've stayed there when there has been average attendance in September as well as high attendance during spring break.
I like SSR but if we stay there I usually drive to the parks and definitely drive if we have dinners ressies outside of a park. It's not too bad if you're staying near the first bus stop, but its a nightmare if you're not. We were at the last stop and every bus was full. I was traveling with a baby and my 70+ father in a scooter. Bus after bus passed us because it was full. Everyone at the bus stop got very frustrated. I felt sorry for the CM who kept radioing that we needed a bus for MK. After that we popped the scooter in the car and drive.
In my opinion, BCV and BWV are great because you don't have to do bus service all of the time. You can walk to Epcot easily. While you can walk to HS, it's a quite a trip. We take the boat there.
Good luck and enjoy your trip!

I would definitely put AKV over SSR and OKW. I haven't stayed at OKW so I base it on what I've heard. Bus service at AKV isn't bad. We've stayed there when there has been average attendance in September as well as high attendance during spring break.
I like SSR but if we stay there I usually drive to the parks and definitely drive if we have dinners ressies outside of a park. It's not too bad if you're staying near the first bus stop, but its a nightmare if you're not. We were at the last stop and every bus was full. I was traveling with a baby and my 70+ father in a scooter. Bus after bus passed us because it was full. Everyone at the bus stop got very frustrated. I felt sorry for the CM who kept radioing that we needed a bus for MK. After that we popped the scooter in the car and drive.
In my opinion, BCV and BWV are great because you don't have to do bus service all of the time. You can walk to Epcot easily. While you can walk to HS, it's a quite a trip. We take the boat there.
Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Wow that sounds horrible! I doubt I will get an Epcot resort but if I do that would be wonderful. I hope at least AKL is available.

Having stayed at all 3, many times, I would call it a draw. One was no better or worse than others.

SSR and OKW do have more internal stops but they are more centrally located to all of the parks and closer to MK, DHS, and Epcot than AKV. Even the Epcot resorts get horrible reviews for the buses to the MK>

I would never ever pick a Disney resort because of transportation, there are simply too many variables you can never control.

For example say you pick AKL and when you walk up to get the MK bus, it is just pulled out or, you get to the bus stop and it is crowded and you have to wait for another bus.

However say you are at OKW or SSR and just as you walk up, there comes the MK bus and it is not crowded. Also when it makes the rounds to the other bus stops if no one is waiting they don't stop unless someone needs off the bus.

If you do a search you will find horror tales for each one of them in relationship to buses. It also depends on when you go. Going in January is not going to be the same as someone that was at any of these resorts, say during the summer or other busier times.

So you really can not tell.

Having stayed at all 3, many times, I would call it a draw.

SSR and OKW do have more internal stops but they are more centrally located to all of the parks.

I would never ever pick a Disney resort because of transportation, there are simply too many variables you can never control.

For example say you pick AKL and when you walk up to get the MK bus, it is just pulled out or, you get to the bus stop and it is crowded and you have to wait for another bus.

However say you are at OKW or SSR and just as you walk up, there comes the MK bus and it is not crowded. Also when it makes the rounds to the other bus stops if no one is waiting they don't stop unless someone needs off the bus.

If you do a search you will find horror tales for each one of them in relationship to buses. It also depends on when you go. Going in January is not going to be the same as someone that was at any of these resorts, say during the summer or other busier times.

So you really can not tell.

Actually transportation is very important. My son can only handle so much waiting. It will be very hard on me if there are lots of waits for transportation because that will be added to waiting and the sensory overload of the parks, fatigue and jet lag. Anything that I can do to make things easier is important. If all of the places available at that time of year are pretty inconvenient in terms of transportation then I may just stay at the Hyatt MCO the night before our cruise and skip a park visit entirely.

I may look into cash rates but I was trying to save money by using DVC points. Will see...

Thanks for adding that. Makes me rethink it all.

Actually transportation is very important. My son can only handle so much waiting. It will be very hard on me if there are lots of waits for transportation because that will be added to waiting and the sensory overload of the parks, fatigue and jet lag. Anything that I can do to make things easier is important. If all of the places available at that time of year are pretty inconvenient in terms of transportation then I may just stay at the Hyatt MCO the night before our cruise and skip a park visit entirely.

I may look into cash rates but I was trying to save money by using DVC points. Will see...

Thanks for adding that. Makes me rethink it all.

I understand completely, just saying everyone can give their experiences and it might not be what you experience at all when you are there. Predicting the weather is easier.

There are simply too many variables to predict what your experience will be. How about pick a resort you can get and like and take a taxi, they truly are not that expensive. There were times our AKV was so packed I could hardly breathe and then once I rode by myself. Same at SSR and OKW. I have been packed in like a sardine at both and then rode by myself there too. I have waited long times at all 3 and sometimes did not wait at all.

Where you thinking of flying cross country and doing a park day before your cruise?

I understand completely, just saying everyone can give their experiences and it might not be what you experience at all when you are there. Predicting the weather is easier.

There are simply too many variables to predict what your experience will be. How about pick a resort you can get and like and take a taxi, they truly are not that expensive.

Where you thinking of flying cross country and doing a park day before your cruise?

The cruise leaves Jan 4th. I wanted to see some of the decorations at the parks at the holiday time. Was planning on flying out Jan 1st or 2nd and leaving the 4th to head to port.

Are taxis readily available at all times everywhere? I've never been to WDW so I don't know. I'd like to not spend extra money when the transportation is free though. We are going to WDW this June for 7 nights so the winter trip is purely to see the holiday decorations. I visit DL often and always go at Christmas time because I LOVE the park decorations during the holidays.

luv2sleep said:
The cruise leaves Jan 4th. I wanted to see some of the decorations at the parks at the holiday time. Was planning on flying out Jan 1st or 2nd and leaving the 4th to head to port.

Are taxis readily available at all times everywhere? I've never been to WDW so I don't know. I'd like to not spend extra money when the transportation is free though. We are going to WDW this June for 7 nights so the winter trip is purely to see the holiday decorations. I visit DL often and always go at Christmas time because I LOVE the park decorations during the holidays.

Taxis are available pretty easily. I have never had to wait long for one. The most I have ever paid on property for a cab ride was about $25. We started renting a car, and it has made our trips so much nicer. The buses took forever, and I dreaded going anywhere because of the transportation issues.

If you are diligent about checking codes/rates/coupons you can usually get a great deal. Parking at OKW is awesome, usually right outside your villa. Some folks don't want to drive on vacation, but it can save a ton of time and aggregation.

schoen said:
Taxis are available pretty easily. I have never had to wait long for one. The most I have ever paid on property for a cab ride was about $25. We started renting a car, and it has made our trips so much nicer. The buses took forever, and I dreaded going anywhere because of the transportation issues.

If you are diligent about checking codes/rates/coupons you can usually get a great deal. Parking at OKW is awesome, usually right outside your villa. Some folks don't want to drive on vacation, but it can save a ton of time and aggregation.

I've always had pretty bad rental car experiences with my son. Having no one to watch him while I take care of everything is one reason. Then there's the lugging around the car seat factor from the very beginning to the end of the trip. I only have so many arms. So I'd rather avoid it. Some airlines even charge a fee for them. I'd prefer to go with the available transportation. If I don't get AKL or an Epcot resort we will just stay overnight at the airport and try a holiday trip another time. That's actually sounding pretty good right now, lol. Heck, I may need to buy a few points this year at WDW just to have an 11 month booking window somewhere!

In June we are staying at BLT purely for transportation ease. I wanted to be walking distance to MK park and be on the monorail line.

We had the worst at SSR which is why we prefer not to stay there. OKW isn't fabulous but it was better than our SSR stay.

I should add that the way we make OKW work is we book HH section and get on bus at HH (which is the last stop when going out to the parks...so we go right to the parks) and then we hop off at the 1st stop coming back from the parks (Penninsular Rd near building 26) which is right next to HH and just a short walk to our HH building. So, we avoid all the internal stops and just have the longish rides to the parks and back (and whatever wait you have for the bus to come). Not sure how that can be done at SSR (not sure the order of internal stops over there). If you get OKW at 7 months out you could request building 16 or 62 or 27 (63 has noise issues being near the gate the cars and buses go through).

OKWMapcolor2_zps4589f895.jpg

We have not stayed at OKW so I cant comment on that one, but between SSR and AKL, AKL was much better. Everyone previously was right...all the internal stops at SSR was a pain for us and took a bit of time, whereas once the bus is there for AKL, you know you are going straight to the park or straight back without other stops. Also, we've never had too much of a wait for AKL busses, most was a 20 min wait when one just pulled away, but most are there within 10 minutes or less (in our experience of course).

But like the others said, all of them have their positives and negatives. For instance, we LOVE BCV, we love being able to walk to Epcot or take the ferry to DHS, but going to Magic Kingdom or AK were terrible bc you had to take the bus, which seemed to never come, and when it did it was full bc they also stopped at Swan and Dolphin, and Boardwalk. So the busses were insane and took us much longer to get to and from those particular parks because of all the other stops. It actually took longer from BC to Magic Kingdom because of this than just waiting for a bus at AKV to Magic Kingdom!! And going back at night was the same. Also, no transportation is perfect of course...the ferry for BC to DHS was great, but if you ever saw the lines to get on it at night to go back to the hotel, it was half hour wait or more, plus the 20 minutes to get to the BC dock after it stopped at Swan and Dolphin and Boardwalk first. So none are foolproof!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter