East coast folks acclimating to Aulani....

psimon

Will travel for turkey legs!
How early are the restaurants / snack bar / gym etc open at Aulani?

We know we will be up early at least the first morning and I am sure it will be NJ time, not HA time.... consequently I am wondering what is available at, say maybe 4AM?

thanks...

---Paul in Southern NJ

I don't remember anything being open then( i was last there in 2012) but lots of workers were out cleaning. There were a couple of us up just walking around the resort, down by the beach, etc. lamenting the fact that we were still on east coast time.

I've read of someone (with a rental car) driving to Waikiki beach or further east to watch the sunrise over the water since they were already up.

At 4 I don't think you will find anything.

We were up every morning by 6, usually at the pool by 8. My DS was little (7 months) and I would take him for a walk and there were always a few folks, reading the paper etc out and about by 7.

I don't think we ever fully got used to the time. We were in bed most nights by 9 after full days of sun and swimming and then up bright and earlier. But we didn't venture far from Aulani and it was pretty quiet after about 8pm. We loved it!

I read on another thread that it's good to do Pearl Harbor that first morning. If you don't have advance tickets for the USS Arizona memorial, you need to get there when it opens or sooner to have any hope of getting them. Wish I'd read that thread before going to Aulani instead of after! :/

I read on another thread that it's good to do Pearl Harbor that first morning. If you don't have advance tickets for the USS Arizona memorial, you need to get there when it opens or sooner to have any hope of getting them. Wish I'd read that thread before going to Aulani instead of after! :/

I booked those months ago... for the second morning. I'm sure we won't be acclimated then either! Had I not already booked, PH would have been the thing to do.

I figure by the time our bodies get into the proper sync, it will be time to head east and screw it all up again! :confused3

---Paul in Southern NJ

Hey Paul,

We arrive there tomorrow from Jersey with our 2 little ones in tow (11 and 9). We will try to post here to let you know our experience.

I expect some challenges as I've never gone this fat west before. We shall see how it goes.

Hey Paul,

We arrive there tomorrow from Jersey with our 2 little ones in tow (11 and 9). We will try to post here to let you know our experience.

I expect some challenges as I've never gone this fat west before. We shall see how it goes.

Counting the days!

We get there next weekend.

How long will you be there?

---Paul in Southern NJ

How early are the restaurants / snack bar / gym etc open at Aulani?

We know we will be up early at least the first morning and I am sure it will be NJ time, not HA time.... consequently I am wondering what is available at, say maybe 4AM?

thanks...

---Paul in Southern NJ

We are from Seattle and we had a hard time adjusting! I was up by 4:30-5 each day (I normally am at work by 7 Seattle time so this was sleeping in!)

The gym is 24 hours but be warned- even at 4am it was packed (during our week anyway). Lots of people mingling out and about by 6am.

At 6 is when Olelo room opens (breakfast sandwiches, to go items, coffee, juice, milk). By 7am the other 2 restaurants open (Ama Ama and the character breakfast), a well as the gift shop.

At 8am the pools open:)

I have the daily Iwas posted http://s272.photobucket.com/user/mom2aidannpiper/library/Daily Iwa collection?sort=2&page=1 - on the 4th page of each date (the backside of each daily Iwa) it has operating hours for everything.

Hope that helps!

Counting the days!

We get there next weekend.

How long will you be there?

---Paul in Southern NJ

We arrive tomorrow, check out on Saturday for a cruise on NCL, then check back in on the 17th and out on the 21st. How about you folks?

We arrive tomorrow, check out on Saturday for a cruise on NCL, then check back in on the 17th and out on the 21st. How about you folks?

We are arriving on 8/17 and leaving 8/21, heading to the Big Island for a few and then Maui, before a stopover at Disneyland on the way home!

Maybe we'll run into each other there. We are us (the parents), DD24, and twin DS/DD 16, turning 17 while on the trip!

I'M READY NOW!

Have a great trip.

---Paul in Southern NJ

Maybe we will! We have a birthday on the trip as well. My wife turns XX on the 8th.
Happy birthday to all!

Actual age redacted to protect me!

Hi Paul,

So here is our first day story. Both kids slept a little on the flights over. Probably about 2 hours each in total. We woke up at about 6:30 am edt to leave for the airport, arrived here at 12:30 am edt (6:30 pm hst).

We were all up until about 5 am edt (11pm hst). And I am writing this at 9:35 am edt (3:35 am hst). Only my wife is still asleep although the kids ate just laying there quietly in bed.

Looks like a sunrise Diamondhead hike may be in our future

John

Hi Paul,

So here is our first day story. Both kids slept a little on the flights over. Probably about 2 hours each in total. We woke up at about 6:30 am edt to leave for the airport, arrived here at 12:30 am edt (6:30 pm hst).

We were all up until about 5 am edt (11pm hst). And I am writing this at 9:35 am edt (3:35 am hst). Only my wife is still asleep although the kids ate just laying there quietly in bed.

Looks like a sunrise Diamondhead hike may be in our future

John

John... fantastic!

I assume you flew out of Newark (could be wrong on that one :))

Sounds like you took United 15; the mid day non-stop direct to Honolulu... correct? It's supposed to leave EWR at 1:25 daily, and never does! I've seen it leave as late as 4:00PM! :confused3

We are planning to do Diamondhead as well, but I planned a Northern island tour for the first day and I have Pearl Harbor reservations for 9:30 the second day.... so we'll see whether my crew wants to do it on the day we are supposed to just hang at Aulani or just go to Diamondhead without the sunrise.

What did you do for dinner... arriving at local dinner time? There is only so much plane food you can eat. We are ordering one of the "Family" dinners for our room... for it to be there approximately the time we arrive.

Have fun!

---Paul in Southern NJ

Paul,

We actually took United 1150 to SFO then United 73 to HNL. Left EWR at 10:30 and arrived in HNL at 6:15 local time.
We actually missed DiamondHead this morning. The kids fell back asleep.

We actually had dinner in SFO. By the time we for here everyone was too excited to eat! We hit the pool til it closed then came to the room and crashed.

Breakfast today was in room. We stopped at the Target in Kapolei which is right on the way and got some cereal and stuff.

Paul,

We actually took United 1150 to SFO then United 73 to HNL. Left EWR at 10:30 and arrived in HNL at 6:15 local time.
We actually missed DiamondHead this morning. The kids fell back asleep.

We actually had dinner in SFO. By the time we for here everyone was too excited to eat! We hit the pool til it closed then came to the room and crashed.

Breakfast today was in room. We stopped at the Target in Kapolei which is right on the way and got some cereal and stuff.

The give and take.... by taking a split flight you had the luxury (Was it ? :)) of eating in SFO while on your layover, as opposed to our direct flight with no place for us to get food after departure other than their stale peanuts and buying their cardboard snacks! If I were to do it again, I might have taken your approach, except the getting to EWR time, for parking and time for TSA would have meant leaving here at 5AM... not appetizing at all!

I was debating what to do about breakfasts..... I was thinking hitting the snack bar but that won't open to 7AM... and if we are up at 5 or 6 that won't work. Not crazy about going shopping as our first activity in Hawaii... but I guess it has to be done.

Since you flew a 767-400 from SFO to HNL, can you tell me.... standard headphones for audio? Any power at the seats (USB or otherwise)?

---Paul

The give and take.... by taking a split flight you had the luxury (Was it ? :)) of eating in SFO while on your layover, as opposed to our direct flight with no place for us to get food after departure other than their stale peanuts and buying their cardboard snacks! If I were to do it again, I might have taken your approach, except the getting to EWR time, for parking and time for TSA would have meant leaving here at 5AM... not appetizing at all!

I was debating what to do about breakfasts..... I was thinking hitting the snack bar but that won't open to 7AM... and if we are up at 5 or 6 that won't work. Not crazy about going shopping as our first activity in Hawaii... but I guess it has to be done.

Since you flew a 767-400 from SFO to HNL, can you tell me.... standard headphones for audio? Any power at the seats (USB or otherwise)?

---Paul

The food in SFO wasn't bad. Pizza, a diner (not like you think of being from Jersey tho), Mexican and a few other options. Nice selection in my opinion.

The Olelo room opens at 6AM with a selection of continental breakfast options. Not bad. The almond croissant was pretty good this morning. The Target is right on the way. Exit 1 off the H1, right at the light and its in the strip mall on your right that you can't miss.

Every plane I have been on in the last few years has had standard 1/8 headphone jacks. The 767 from SFO was nice and roomy with a nice selection of free entertainment. At least 100 movies to choose from which was a big help keeping boredom at bay.

You may want to grab a cold sandwich or something to bring on board with you to have an option for dinner. The United food is not great but not inedible is the best I can say about it.

We did have standard 110 power at the seats on both flights. You can check your flight now by logging onto United pulling up your flight number. The amenities tab will tell you about entertainment, power and WiFi.

The food in SFO wasn't bad. Pizza, a diner (not like you think of being from Jersey tho), Mexican and a few other options. Nice selection in my opinion.

The Olelo room opens at 6AM with a selection of continental breakfast options. Not bad. The almond croissant was pretty good this morning. The Target is right on the way. Exit 1 off the H1, right at the light and its in the strip mall on your right that you can't miss.

Every plane I have been on in the last few years has had standard 1/8 headphone jacks. The 767 from SFO was nice and roomy with a nice selection of free entertainment. At least 100 movies to choose from which was a big help keeping boredom at bay.

You may want to grab a cold sandwich or something to bring on board with you to have an option for dinner. The United food is not great but not inedible is the best I can say about it.

We did have standard 110 power at the seats on both flights. You can check your flight now by logging onto United pulling up your flight number. The amenities tab will tell you about entertainment, power and WiFi.

John...

Thanks for the info.

How was morning 2..... any better on going to bed later and waking up later?

Did you make it to Diamond Head?

Getting to use any of Aulani? How is the construction there?

---Paul

John...

Thanks for the info.

How was morning 2..... any better on going to bed later and waking up later?

Did you make it to Diamond Head?

Getting to use any of Aulani? How is the construction there?

---Paul

Morning two is about the same. It's now 5:30 am and we are all up. We were asleep by 9 last night.

Our day was spent yesterday lounging by the pool and using the awesome pool area. Kids loved the slides and lazy river. Mom and Dad loved the lounge chairs and the hot tubs. One piece of advice-get there early and watch your stuff. The staff does sweep through and remove items from chairs led unattended. By the afternoon there were plenty of folks walking around looking for a place to sit because all the lounges were taken.

The construction walls are up but the noise isn't a problem. Haven't gotten a view over the walls yet but will report when we do. Definitely will not be compete in the next week based on the noises we heard yesterday.

No Diamkndhead yet. But it's in wife's list so it must be done!

I've been to Aulani twice, February 2012 and 2013. For early/late check in's and check outs, they have a room where you can change into a bathing suit or whatever you may want to do before you check in or depart. I haven't had to use it, but I know many do. It would be a good idea to have a change or clothes in a carry on, especially if coming from NJ. Keep in mind when leaving hotel to go into Honolulu whether for Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head....whatever, the traffic is bad. Be aware of time, especially rush hour. We had a rental car (husband prefers) to go where you want, when you want. You will notice many people leave the hotel for dinner. Whether it's across the street or Honolulu or anywhere! The food @ Aulani is very expensive and not very good. People who have a kitchen drive down the highway for a few minutes and go grocery shopping/Costco. Seen many bringing in groceries. The last time we went, we stopped at Leonards Bakery in Honolulu...fantastic! And took a drive to the North Shore...famous shaved ice place and Dole Plantation right down the road. Frist trip we did Pearl Harbor and a couple of other things. Second trip took it a little easier.
Have a wonderful time. It is truly a beautiful resort. I'm originally from NJ, been living in California for the past 13 years. Just got home from NJ July 31 after visiting family for two weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter