Easter dinner suggestions

jalapeno_pretzel

DIS Veteran
Please share your Easter dinner ideas!

We are on vacation until Friday afternoon before Easter, so I won't have much time to shop and prepare. I need items for vegetarian / pescetarian / omnivore / picky eaters, plus easy to prepare since we will be recovering from our travel!

I will make deviled eggs with some of our easter eggs, but beyond that I don't know. I would love to make a carrot cake or coconut cake, but the kids won't eat those. Not sure what another good springtime dessert would be.

Chicken fingers are easy to bake, ordered or made pizza. Make or buy a vegetable tray or sandwich tray.

And being Easter, we never really have dessert, everyone eats candy. But can buy or make a fruit tray up too. Bake cookies, from a pre made bought pack or if you have favorite ones you bake. Make cupcakes, so all can decorate with what they like.

Both fruit, and vegetables can be cut the day before. Can make a cheese and cracker serving too. Can cut up cheeses the day before.

We usually have a ham, small one, as all don’t eat. Mashed taters, steamed carrots and cooked green beans are usually our sides. We also start by noshing on chips, dips, vegetable tray, and a charcuterie tray, with meats and cheeses, and olives, with a couple differ crackers in the hours before dinner.

Good luck. I’m sure whatever you decide, your diners will be enjoying your food.

I don't know what all those are, LOL. I can't even tell you what vegetarian is as it seems to change definition depending on which person 2 minutes after you meet them tell you they are vegetarian. Pescetarian is something I see cropping up now, no clue what that is.

It's not Easter dinner unless there's ham. I make Easter dinner. I can't have a different menu for each individual that is coming. There's meat, there's usually pasta, there's vegetables, there's a starch, some kind of bread, and there's various desserts. I figure if you can't find something to eat in all that, I can't help.

While normally I'd suggest a beautiful spring vegetable risotto (which I've done before) to feed everyone, ummm, that's work...so, instead, I'd go with...

Crockpot ham and Stouffer's mac and cheese as the "2 no-work mains"...they have the added advantage of going beautifully together, especially for leftovers. And I'd have rolls for the ham (or for the side of the mac) and some mustard in case folks wanted sandwiches.

Then, I'd go fresh and light. A lemon zested green bean, a fresh fruit salad, a lettuce/kale based salad (very seasonal), a roasted broccoli or asparagus (whatever is on sale). Folks will be very happy.

For dessert, a pavlova would work for everyone, BUT it can be touchy. I'd probably do strawberry shortcake or strawberry pie and a lemon pound cake or cupcake. And I'd make strawberry lemonade. I love lemon and strawberry at Easter, and again, both feel very seasonal (and you'll probably have the lemon and strawberry used in dinner, even before dessert).

I started my cooking today.
I have spinach/bacon quiche in homeade crust in the oven, will freeze then warm in the oven on Easter Sunday.
My homeade mac and cheese will be done tonight and in the freezer (prepped, but not baked until Easter).
Cookie dough, candy and homeade applesauce are on the list to freeze.
My son and daughter-in-law are doing the ham, potatoes, veggies.
Husband will do a pie the day before.
I used to be able to do it all a few days in advance but in my old age, I need to start a few weeks early and make good use of the freezer.

I'm doing a lasagna, spiral ham, sweet potato casserole, and vegetable will likely be steamed peas since that's what my niece currently likes for a veg. But she's 2 1/2 so no guarantees that won't change before Easter and I'll adjust accordingly. I'll also make her some chicken nuggets so there's a fighting chance we can get her to eat something. 🤣 Will also have some type of bread or rolls. Dessert will be cheesecake.

We are actually celebrating on Saturday so the day before I will assemble the lasagna, make the cheesecake and put together the sweet potato casserole. My main concern is getting a spiral ham that will fit into my biggest crockpot so I can heat it in there while the lasagna and sweet potato casserole cook in the oven.

My dad and I don't like ham, so we always have kielbasa in addition to the ham everyone else eats. Au gratin potatoes are a must.

In the morning for a holiday a french toast bake is usually served.

Lasagne is very easy to me & on our menu, no meat lasagne tastes just as good IMO.

For speed:
You can bake sausage in the oven and these days there is also vegetarian versions of meats, apparently the Impossible brand is way better for sausage and even meatballs in the frozen section of the store.

Easier still is ravioli which you just drop into boiling water & serve.

Apps are in the frozen section of a grocery store, TGI Fridays spinach dip is great with tortilla chips or pita & there are countless other options like bagel bites and mini hotdogs.

I used to fuss a lot over holiday meals. But not so much anymore. I like to keep it simple and easy. We're having a spiral sliced ham. Just picked it up from Costco. It's pre-cooked so really it's just about heating it up. My daughter loves the individual scallop potatoes from Omaha Steak Co, but can only buy them with a minimum of $150 order (that's not happening). So I ordered Kansas City Steaks individual scalloped potatoes (8) from QVC. I've had them before, they're good. Asparagus is our vegetable. For dessert, either rice pudding or banana cream pie. Both very easy to make. I saw at Costco they had a peanut butter pie and they're carrot cakes out which are very popular, but I've never tried them.

Lots of good ideas! I like the pasta salad, everyone would eat that. Plus we're going to eat outside so that will feel kind of picnic-y. Lasagna/ravioli or stuffed shells sounds good too, but probably not if I do pasta salad. But maybe I could do one of them anyway and it would feed us well into the week. Lemon zest green beans sound good too. Guests might bring a small ham. Maybe add in some Hawaiian rolls, hummus for vegetarians (we love to make a little hummus sandwich with veggies & hummus on Hawaiian rolls), and that might be enough, other than figuring out a dessert. Maybe just some vanilla ice cream and sliced strawberries.

For some reason, I always make Key Lime pie for Easter dessert - or at least as one of the options.

It is one of my favorite pies and for some reason it reminds me of spring.

Lots of good ideas! I like the pasta salad, everyone would eat that. Plus we're going to eat outside so that will feel kind of picnic-y. Lasagna/ravioli or stuffed shells sounds good too, but probably not if I do pasta salad. But maybe I could do one of them anyway and it would feed us well into the week. Lemon zest green beans sound good too. Guests might bring a small ham. Maybe add in some Hawaiian rolls, hummus for vegetarians (we love to make a little hummus sandwich with veggies & hummus on Hawaiian rolls), and that might be enough, other than figuring out a dessert. Maybe just some vanilla ice cream and sliced strawberries.

i do my pasta salad 1-2 days before it's served so it can marinate well. it gets put in the outside fridge to prevent family from taking samples beforehand). i make a pretty hardy one (marinated artichoke hearts/marinated mushrooms/marinated bell pepper/fresh bell pepper/tomatoes, red onion and salami-but you can either omit the salami b/c of vegetarians OR make a large batch and set aside a portion before adding salami-maybe put some different color fresh bell pepper in it to make a visual indication for guests.

i know it's not popular with everyone but one of my favorite vegetarian options is to take eggplant and slice it (rounds like a burger), dry it for a couple of hours on paper towels. place into a ziplock bag w/some flavored olive oil (or italian type dressing), let set for for an hour or so-grill. great on it's own or in a roll as a sandwich.

with that many restrictions i would probably opt to order some party platters and spend my prep time on a nice homemade pasta salad that everyone could eat.
Agreed!
OP - that seems like a lot of dietary juggling to do. Perhaps everyone could bring a dish and you could have a pot-luck?
You could also keep it simple given your schedule leading up to the holiday - maybe veggie burgers & lamb burgers with a pasta and/or potato salad and your deviled eggs? Someone up thread mentioned a key lime pie - that sounds like a great dessert idea!

There is nothing easier than warming a spiral ham in the oven. I’m doing that with homemade Mac and Cheese, deviled eggs, frozen Rhodes yeast rolls (the best!), asparagus and a veggie tray. Easy peasy. If you did something similar and added in a potato salad and some hummus for the veggies, your guests would have plenty to choose from.

If having a lot of people with a wide variety of dietary restrictions, maybe just plan for snacks/beverages/desserts instead? I have also never heard of some of the categories the OP listed, so I have no idea what they care to not eat. If someone is following an unusual diet for medical reasons, seems like they should plan to bring their own food instead. When someone follows a diet as more of a food fad, I wouldn't make 6 different entrees trying to please everyone.

For the thread:
Vegetarian - does not eat meat/fish (some also avoid eggs and/or milk, but they'd normally tell you). Will normally eat everything else, but tends to like a fresher meal set
Pescetarian - does not eat meat. Will normally eat everything else, but tends to like a fresher meal set
Omnivore - eats everything - very easy to make happy
Picky eaters - does not usually eat complicated or weird/unique. Will normally be choosy about what they eat, going for recognizable and comfortable, but will usually eat all categories

It's not that hard a crowd combo to make happy on Easter. Seeing as how you want to picnic outside, I'd actually change my dessert idea to something single serve with no icing (b/c icing melts and attracts bugs). I'd also probably move away from pie for the same reason - it's messy to serve and a bug attractor. If it were me, I think a plate of dark chocolate brownies (covered til dessert time) with strawberries and whipped cream (so folks can have any combo of the 3) would work.

If having a lot of people with a wide variety of dietary restrictions, maybe just plan for snacks/beverages/desserts instead? I have also never heard of some of the categories the OP listed, so I have no idea what they care to not eat.

Lol, it's my immediate family of 4 that covers that range, the guests are flexible. One kid is vegetarian (meat = no; eggs, dairy = yes), I'm pescetarian (vegetarian plus seafood). Omnivores are DH and one kid, kids are both picky in their own way - one won't eat any fruit, neither will eat potatoes. Oh there's a nut allergy in there too. I don't mind making an assortment - I do that most of the time anyway. Just trying to think of a variety that all kind of goes together, provides everyone with a few things, and seems spring festive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter