• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Eastern Caribbean or Western Caribbean

twinmomtwice

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

We're trying to decide which side of the Caribbean we want to see. Considering either the February 1, 2014 (W. Caribbean) or the February 8, 2014 (E. Caribbean).

I would love to hear some feedback/suggestions/advice from others who have done either one of these cruises (or even both!).

Pros/cons, likes/dislikes.....share all details with me please!!!

Thank you so much!!! :banana:

We have done both. I'm not sure if I can give you a step by step of WHY I prefer one over the other but the Eastern Caribbean ports were my preference.

:cool2:

In February, Western will likely be a bit warmer (both air and water temps).
Western is a little smoother sailing in my experience.
With that said, the Eastern ports have an edge IMO. I don't care if I ever see Mexico again. Grand Cayman is very nice but also a very
pricey port and I find it hard to have a relaxing day there because of the tendering issue. At GC there is no dock for the ship to pull up to-the ships drop anchor and guests ride into the port on smaller tender boats-this does not always go smoothly thru no fault of any cruise line. On our last Western trip we pulled into GC at 9am but the tenders did not begin running until noon because of rough water. Many excursions were cancelled as a result, and this happened on the best weather day of the week.
I would make my decision as much on which week is more convenient or has a better fare as on which itinerary you are on if you have not cruised before.

I've been on neither but have heard some people like the a eastern better because thee are more sea days. Then I've heard people like the western better because there are less sea days. I like more sea days so I'd prefer an eastern. I'm taking a western though because none of the eastern dates work. I'm only interested in Grand Cayman That's a bummer about the rough seas and tendering. I don't mind tendering but the delay would be disappointing. We are going the first week of Jan. Hope that doesn't happen.

I'll throw my vote in for Eastern. Unlike PP, I felt the Western was a much rougher ride and I preferred the ports on the Eastern. I'm also a fan of having more time on the ships - so I liked the additional day at sea. (And for what its worth, because of a medical emergency, the Western I just took had basically the same itinerary, just different ports and I still preferred the Eastern.)

I felt like the Eastern ports were just more interesting. I had a much easier time spending the entire day in port on the Eastern because there was more I wanted to see and do.

We've been on both in the past two months. Enjoyed both but liked Eastern the best. The ports are interesting (we stopped at San Juan not St Martin) and the scenery spectacular on the Eastern. Western is more about shopping.

We've done both. We prefer the western route. We arent huge fans of sea days and love the extra ports. We like having the extra 'beach' days instead of sea days. Good luck :goodvibes

Another vote for Eastern here!!! Just a personal preference.

Eastern. Yes. I like the sea days, but St John is breathtakingly beautiful!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Yep, I think we're totally sold on the Eastern side!!!

Now, I just have to convince my husband that the cost is totally worth it!!! :rolleyes1

He was totally on board until I told him the price....ugh!

I have only went on the Western itinerary for the Fantasy, which we really enjoyed. We did have an extra sea day due to a medical emergency. That meant we got to spend a whole day in Grand Cayman and skipped Costa Maya. We booked the Eastern for next January, so I am really excited to hear so many votes for the Eastern Caribbean.

We are also about to book the Feb. 8th, 2014 Eastern cruise. Can anyone who has cruised the Eastern around this time tell me about the weather? The prior post about colder water and weather has me worried. Will it be too cold to swim for the kids (in the ocean)? TIA!!

We're doing western just because we've spent a lot of time in those eastern ports. Never done the western so I can't say which I prefer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter