Easy, HEALTHY, and tasty -- Barbeque Turkey Meatloaf!

KaraKW

<font color=blue>Baby Bird Correspondent<br><font
I got this recipe from Shape magazine...

Barbeque Turkey Meatloaf
Serves 6

INGEDIENTS (calories)
Nonstick Cooking Spray (o cal)
1.25 pounds ground turkey (845 cal)
1/3 cup plain bread crumbs (142 cal)
1 cup chopped onion (65 cal)
1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup barbeque sauce (282 cal)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (15 cal)
2 egg whites (32 cal)
1 teaspoon salt (0 cal)
1/4 teaspoon pepper (1 cal)

DIRECTIONS
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour

-Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 13-by-9 inch baking pan or baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
-In a large bowl combine the turkey, bread crumbs, onions, 1/3 cup barbeque sauce, Worcestershire sauce, egg whites, salt and pepper. With your hands or a spoon, mix well until thoroughly combined.
-Place meatloaf mixture in the center of the baking pan and shape into a 10-by-4 inch loaf by hand. Spread the remaining 1/4 cup barbeque sauce evenly over the top of the loaf.
-Bake 1 hour and let stand 5 minutes before draining fat and slicing.

Nutrition score
Per serving (2 1"-slices): 16% fat (3.5g; 0.9g saturated), 41% carbs (17.7g), 43% protein (18.7g), 0.7g fiber.

The Difference...
The three differences in this recipe that make it more health-conscious are the use of turkey versus beef, egg whites versus egg, and the technique of draining the fat.
recipe with beef and egg = 2,373 cal (396 per serving)
recipe with turkey and egg whites = 1,142 (190 per serving)

Draining the fat
Prepearing this meatloaf on a baking sheet or large baking pan allows the cooked fat to drain away from the loaf to the sides of the pan or sheet instead of being absorbed into the meat as when baked in a traditional loaf pan. There should be about 3" of space between the meat and the edge of the pan to permit room for the fat to move away from the meat. Draining the fat accounts for the loss of 240 calories!

Enjoy!
Kara :wave:

I use turkey when I make my meatloaf too!

Generally I make one with frozen chopped spinach in it to add moisture and flavor. I just smoosh the water out of the defrosted spinach and mix it into the ground turkey. I add eggs, ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper and ground garlic. Mix it together and bake on the baking sheet.

The kids will eat it and that get's some spinach into them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter