EasyWDW / notfrosty Josh / obituary

Back in 2012 when I was planning our first (and what I thought would be our last) WDW vacation, I stumbled across Josh's site. I loved his sarcasm, honesty, and candor. I feel he helped make our first trip the success that it was and caused a lifetime love of Disney for our family. With every trip, I would soak up that much more information, and our trips were planned around his advice. "It's artsy because it's tilted" is a family joke. I hope his family sees how much he was loved by the Disney community and can take some comfort in it.

Mental illness sucks, you guys.

My heart is heavy. 😞

I appreciated Josh for his wit, self-deprecating humor, and his ability to respectfully slide into TPAS threads which were questioning his blog. I always felt honored that he stayed within guidelines so closure of the thread wasn’t warranted.

Josh was also compassionate. I once messaged him to ask for advice regarding orchestrating, mostly by my DD, a special post-Fant cast m&g for a fellow DISer who was dealing with late-stage cancer…he was hoping to make memories for his 2 year-old son.

As an event performer, DD had to finagle her schedule to be in Fant and it fell on a day where DHS announced a special event. Josh assured me that it was a 1-off event and the crowds wouldn’t be greatly affected. He also assured me the DISer wouldn’t mind the possibly elevated crowd day because a Fant cast m&g in the amphitheater was beyond special. Josh, of course, eased my mind, was correct, and the DISer, whom we had never met, was thrilled that DD set up such a special memory for his family. I have always appreciated how Josh played an integral part in this Fant magic.

Rest easy, Josh. My next ride on Mr. Toad will be in your honor! 💛

Nice to see you, @hiroMYhero

This is my favorite blog post from Josh. It's an old April Fool's post on the best
quick service meals. I hope it's okay to post it in honor of how incredibly funny and talented he was. https://easywdwforums.com/threads/april-1st-blog-posts.18723/
It hurts my heart too much to read his posts right now, but I appreciate people sharing their favorites. I would love to see his posts compiled in a book that could be purchased to benefit his family or favorite charity. I would be first in line to buy it. Such a tremendous talent.

Back in 2012 when I was planning our first (and what I thought would be our last) WDW vacation, I stumbled across Josh's site. I loved his sarcasm, honesty, and candor. I feel he helped make our first trip the success that it was and caused a lifetime love of Disney for our family. With every trip, I would soak up that much more information, and our trips were planned around his advice. "It's artsy because it's tilted" is a family joke. I hope his family sees how much he was loved by the Disney community and can take some comfort in it.

Mental illness sucks, you guys.
We always say, “What a life” when on Triceratops Spin. When I’m Epcot, I’ll say, “Let’s go live the dream”, and everyone knows we’re going to ride Living with the Land. Such a loss.

I kept telling him I’m still waiting on the book he said he would write with the best benches to sip bourbon in WDW. Next visit, I’m going to sit on a bench with bourbon and count the smiles.

That's what all good artists do. They make you look around and see your surroundings in a new way. "Count the smiles" was that for me, and will continue to be.

I had the pleasure of having a few drinks with Josh (and his friends) at Nomad Lounge. He was very nice. After I mentioned I liked the DIS too, he showed me the video where he accidentally wandered into a DIS food review, and had to stand there because he couldn't pass. Then he starts nodding along. He thought that was really funny, and it is funny.

There will be a lot of things in the park that will remind me of his advice or reviews, and that's going to be sad. RIP.

For me, planning a disney trip is (or used to be) almost as much fun as going. My most favorite part of planning our trips was reading Josh's blog. Unlike other bloggers who provide just information, I found Josh to provide not only great information, but he also provided great entertainment. His absence will take some of the happiness away from planning my trips and leaves a whole in my heart. Rest In Peace Josh. 💛

he showed me the video where he accidentally wandered into a DIS food review, and had to stand there because he couldn't pass. Then he starts nodding along. He thought that was really funny, and it is funny.
I remember this and it was very funny. Could have been awkward but Josh's thoughtful reaction made it spin fun. I followed his blog and twitter since 2013 and loved his wit, snark and insight. The asparagus pic on his twitter page a reminder of that fun dig when restaurants go wildly and insanely overboard on pricing. Think that was from the Boat House opening menu. Huge reminder to us all to say thank you and pay our compliments while we still can. God speed.

It’s artsy because it’s tilted
it “feels crowded”

These are just a few Joshisms that stick with me in addition to those posted here by others. In my post from the easywdw forum In which his SIL announced this very sad news I said some things I will repeat here to this DIS community for which I’ve been a grateful part since 2008. And I couldn’t agree more with the book idea of Josh’s posts - as they have indeed been a place of unmatched humor, needed respite and also a huge resource. WDWNT is planning a benefit in his name as he was a good friend of Tom Corliss.

My family is deeply sorry for Josh’s family, dear friends and those close to him and who knew Josh personally. It seems he’s touched you all even more than us who have been advised and humored by him - Through the beautiful escapism and excellent tips he provided for our Disney experiences - real and imagined.

We have all lost a unique, talented, entertaining, informative, friendly and generous voice in the Disney community and it’s very apparent from the tweets, posts and tributes that many have lost SO much more. We’re so very sorry.

When I learned of his health and mental health issues on the easywdw thread “Our fearless leader is back in action” and wrote a post encouraging him to focus on taking care of himself I was so heartened to see him “like” my post within minutes of my actually posting it. I really hoped he was sincerely taking my words to heart and that he was also feeling in a position of being able to take care of himself. After all he didn’t always like posts on his forums, even that thread. I do not know what has transpired recently for Josh but I only hope he is at peace and I hope your family and those who know him and loved him can find peace eventually. I imagine that to be hard and taking time, but wish it for all of you.

So many will miss Josh dearly and treasure the gift he has given us through lots of laughter and breaks in our mundane days. Chances to find the humor and the insanity and the crazy and the joy and the silly in our shared passion and interest in Disney. I credit Josh’s brilliant sarcastic humor with helping to bring my husband on board with my crazy passion for Disney. He would often quote Josh after coming home from work reading old blogs. We both appreciated his take on things, sharp wit, self deprecation and spot on tips for touring that always kept us ahead of the crowds!

As I said in that January 25 “Our fearless leader is back in action” post before, Josh has helped my family create some very special Disney memories by virtue of making trips go very smoothly and keeping this type A mom happy with comfortable touring plans as well as bringing us hours of enjoyment while sitting in our non-Disney worlds back at home, or in the office, or just trying to relax, fall asleep or destress in our daily lives.

Thank you Josh.

Last edited:
Josh’s blog was a regular read for me and one of the most enjoyable parts of planning a WDW vacation. His reviews and analysis were honest and funny without being overly negative or pessimistic and that was really important. So much of his personality was in that blog. Many times he made me consider experiences and restaurants that I would not have chosen myself. I even listened to the podcast he did with some other bloggers he did for a short time. He is gone way too soon, and I am so sorry for his family and loved ones.

It’s artsy because it’s tilted
it “feels crowded”

These are just a few Joshisms that stick with me in addition to those posted here by others. In my post from the easywdw forum In which his SIL announced this very sad news I said some things I will repeat here to this DIS community for which I’ve been a grateful part since 2008. And I couldn’t agree more with the book idea of Josh’s posts - as they have indeed been a place of unmatched humor, needed respite and also a huge resource. WDWNT is planning a benefit in his name as he was a good friend of Tom Corliss.

My family is deeply sorry for Josh’s family, dear friends and those close to him and who knew Josh personally. It seems he’s touched you all even more than us who have been advised and humored by him - Through the beautiful escapism and excellent tips he provided for our Disney experiences - real and imagined.

We have all lost a unique, talented, entertaining, informative, friendly and generous voice in the Disney community and it’s very apparent from the tweets, posts and tributes that many have lost SO much more. We’re so very sorry.

When I learned of his health and mental health issues on the easywdw thread “Our fearless leader is back in action” and wrote a post encouraging him to focus on taking care of himself I was so heartened to see him “like” my post within minutes of my actually posting it. I really hoped he was sincerely taking my words to heart and that he was also feeling in a position of being able to take care of himself. After all he didn’t always like posts on his forums, even that thread. I do not know what has transpired recently for Josh but I only hope he is at peace and I hope your family and those who know him and loved him can find peace eventually. I imagine that to be hard and taking time, but wish it for all of you.

So many will miss Josh dearly and treasure the gift he has given us through lots of laughter and breaks in our mundane days. Chances to find the humor and the insanity and the crazy and the joy and the silly in our shared passion and interest in Disney. I credit Josh’s brilliant sarcastic humor with helping to bring my husband on board with my crazy passion for Disney. He would often quote Josh after coming home from work reading old blogs. We both appreciated his take on things, sharp wit, self deprecation and spot on tips for touring that always kept us ahead of the crowds!

As I said in that January 25 “Our fearless leader is back in action” post before, Josh has helped my family create some very special Disney memories by virtue of making trips go very smoothly and keeping this type A mom happy with comfortable touring plans as well as bringing us hours of enjoyment while sitting in our non-Disney worlds back at home, or in the office, or just trying to relax, fall asleep or destress in our daily lives.

Thank you Josh.
Well said. I can’t stop thinking about him or his family.

josh, if you are in a place that can sense the love of those left behind, I hope you feel it enrapture you and bring you peace.

Incredibly saddened to read this news. Josh's blogs, valuable Disney planning information, and humor were second to none. When we first found ourselves making repeat trips to WDW, you'd always find me with a folder full of Josh's calendar/park recommendation print outs. For us, everything about planning in those days always started with his calendars.

I once met Josh briefly in the parks at one of the AP preview days for Pandora in 2017. DS and I were in line behind him for Navi River Journey. It took me like 10 minutes to finally build up the courage to speak to him. The exchange was something along the lines of...

Me: Excuse me, sorry to bother you, are you Josh?

Josh: Maybe.

Me: I follow your blog/Twitter posts.

Josh: I'm sorry.

Initial pleasantries over with, we had a wonderful chat for the 5 or so minutes left in line. My son was 7 at the time and he was very engaging with him, wanted to know his opinion of Flight of Passage, the land, etc. It's not in my nature to bother other people, especially at a theme park, but I appreciated that he seemed to genuinely not mind the intrusion and took the few minutes to speak to us.

I had to do a bit of searching to find this one, but these two paragraphs buried deep in a 2016 blog post (right between commentary on CHH and PVH shrimp alfredo) have always stuck with me as some of his best writing (and what made Josh's style so relatable) and they immediately came to mind when I heard the news: https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/p...se-fish-and-magic-kingdom-construction-52216/

Most of us probably have a good bit of nostalgia for something Walt Disney World that doesn’t really make a lot of sense if you can somehow remove the emotion. The Chicken Parmesan was one of the first menu items that I reviewed after moving to Orlando just over five years ago now. And it’s not so much the food that I remember but the feeling of accomplishing something by moving across the country by myself with a single suitcase and a box of computer equipment. Moving into a townhouse in a city that I had never visited. Starting something when I had no idea where it would take me. And I remember cutting into this piece of frozen chicken topped with jarred tomato sauce and cheese of questionable origin and thinking, “this might just work.” And I will never forget it.

And that is probably what draws so many of us back to Walt Disney World time and time again. It’s not about the concrete castle or a 30-cent price increase on soda or pork glop platters. It’s about returning to a place that makes us happy where we’ve shared so many memories with the people that we love and cherish. And you never know where exactly you’re going to make those memories. It could be biting into your first Jalapeno Cheese Pretzel at Epcot just before the 4th of July Fireworks erupt overhead or hearing Mickey Mouse greet your kids for the first time inside Town Square Theater. But whatever and wherever it is, it’s something so special and so rare that there is no substitute. And so we return.

Rest easy Josh.

Most of us probably have a good bit of nostalgia for something Walt Disney World that doesn’t really make a lot of sense if you can somehow remove the emotion. The Chicken Parmesan was one of the first menu items that I reviewed after moving to Orlando just over five years ago now. And it’s not so much the food that I remember but the feeling of accomplishing something by moving across the country by myself with a single suitcase and a box of computer equipment. Moving into a townhouse in a city that I had never visited. Starting something when I had no idea where it would take me. And I remember cutting into this piece of frozen chicken topped with jarred tomato sauce and cheese of questionable origin and thinking, “this might just work.” And I will never forget it.

And that is probably what draws so many of us back to Walt Disney World time and time again. It’s not about the concrete castle or a 30-cent price increase on soda or pork glop platters. It’s about returning to a place that makes us happy where we’ve shared so many memories with the people that we love and cherish. And you never know where exactly you’re going to make those memories. It could be biting into your first Jalapeno Cheese Pretzel at Epcot just before the 4th of July Fireworks erupt overhead or hearing Mickey Mouse greet your kids for the first time inside Town Square Theater. But whatever and wherever it is, it’s something so special and so rare that there is no substitute. And so we return.

Rest easy Josh.

I didn't remember this post but he captures it so well. It's the memories around every corner. And with every tilted photo, side of asparagus, review of the Italy pavilion's festival offerings, I will smile. Truly heartbroken that he's gone.

Oh no. 😭 Words can't express how sorry I am. Josh was my absolute favorite Disney blogger. I've been missing reading his blogs, with all their sarcastic wit and tilted photos. I saw his explanation for the lack of blogs, and he's been on my mind a lot since then. He truly made the world a better place, at least MY world. 💓

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter