• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Eat at Home 3!

This week's Menu-
Sunday- Chicken in a Creamy Boursin sauce over egg noodles
Monday - Garlic Citrus Shrimp & Rice bowls with veggies
Tuesday - Turkey Bolognese with Gnocchi and garlic bread
Wednesday- leftovers
Thursday - cubed steak & gravy, mashed potatoes, mini corn on the cob
Friday - Parmesan crusted fish, lobster bites and broccoli
Saturday- undecided

what is mississippi roast?
We didn’t love it. There is an entire thread about it.
It is a chuck roast cooked in a crockpot with ranch seasoning.pepperonchini and butter.

I prefer my pot roast with Italian dressing mix, onion soup mix and gravy

We didn’t love it. There is an entire thread about it.
It is a chuck roast cooked in a crockpot with ranch seasoning.pepperonchini and butter.

I prefer my pot roast with Italian dressing mix, onion soup mix and gravy

i'm not a pepperonchini fan so i will probably pass on it.

funny how 'pot roast' evokes different preparations for different folks. for me, when i hear 'pot roast' it's always equated with the way my mom made it which was a roast that was done with marinara and served with either spagetti or ravioli.

i'm not a pepperonchini fan so i will probably pass on it.

funny how 'pot roast' evokes different preparations for different folks. for me, when i hear 'pot roast' it's always equated with the way my mom made it which was a roast that was done with marinara and served with either spagetti or ravioli.
I'm totally not saying it's bad, but that's the weirdest version of pot roast I've ever heard. From the marina to served with pasta. We've had Sunday meat sauce but it has nothing to do with pot roast....meatballs and pork. Huh!?! Learn something new every day. As long as you enjoy it, who cares, but this is a new one on me.

I'm totally not saying it's bad, but that's the weirdest version of pot roast I've ever heard. From the marina to served with pasta. We've had Sunday meat sauce but it has nothing to do with pot roast....meatballs and pork. Huh!?! Learn something new every day. As long as you enjoy it, who cares, but this is a new one on me.

it's an old school way to make pot roast-the old italian ladies made it when i was a kid ('stracotto'). it is considered to be an 'overcooked' pot roast that is tender and melt in your mouth. try looking it up as 'italian pot roast'-there are tons of recipies and photos online.

it's an old school way to make pot roast-the old italian ladies made it when i was a kid ('stracotto'). it is considered to be an 'overcooked' pot roast that is tender and melt in your mouth. try looking it up as 'italian pot roast'-there are tons of recipies and photos online.
I never heard of it. I will definitely check it out.

That's why I love these posts. You find out so many recipes your family never made. It's awesome. Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it.

And thank you for taking my post in the spirit it was intended which was "whoa I never heard of this" not "whoa that sounds awful". I was so intrigued!

I worked today. I am usually off on Saturday. I really didn’t want to cook but I pushed throw and did it.

Tonight we had pork chop and O’Brien potatoes I made from scratch.
Tomorrow is family day so we are going to a barbecue restaurant with the kids.

So far plans for this week

Steak with mushrooms
Turkey breast with corn and dressing
Turkey blts

Not sure about the other nights yet.

Tonight- penne vodka
Tomorrow- pizza for the fam, I'm going out with friends
Monday- also going out with friends (I'm not usually so social LOL) so leftover penne vodka
Tues- chicken empanadas (I made and froze some), Spanish rice, corn and bell peppers
Wed- sweet and spicy shrimp, roasted potatoes, green beans
Thur- crockpot ribs, mac and cheese, salad
Fri- takeout or something from the freezer

Accidentally posted this is in the "whats for dinner tonight" thread on the community board. We have really been trying to eat at home and plan our lunches so posting helps to keep me honest for lack of a better term.

Sunday- taking mom to a play and out to the diner for dinner for her birthday (her choice) assuming she's comfortable leaving my dad long enough for both (he's been falling a lot lately, but she also needs a break and needs to get out). If she's too nervous we will take her home to check on dad and get take out.

Monday- Tacos that didn't get made last week. hardshell and yellow rice

Tuesday- Some kind of chicken with rice

Wednesday- sloppy joes on brioche buns with sweet potato fries (tues/wed may easily swap we will see)

Thursday- New recipe for beef and broccoli in the crockpot (i'll report back)

Did a quick inventory so we can hopefully hold off until Wednesday for grocery shopping (instead of tomorrow) due to the way our paychecks and expenses fell this month so it's a little beef heavy.

Have some tortellini to make for lunches to get away from all the meat. Thankfully DH doesn't mind a PB&J every now and then.

Another week, another cooking menu. As a caveat, I enjoyed the shocked reaction I got to my top 9 allergy free vegan chili at the Church dinner Friday - a lady took the lid off and said "oh my Gosh, this smells great", like she couldn't believe allergy could taste good. It was eaten in under 20 minutes, so even without her reaction, I knew it was popular. Hopefully, this week's dish will get equal kudos...

Sunday - Subway fakeout meatball subs with the works (spinach, fresh tomato, fresh basil, banana peppers, and diced red onion with mozza and parm for the willing and nutritional yeast for me) with Aldi's seasoned fries and sliced strawberries and peaches

Monday - Aldi's salmon filet baked with homemade pesto (under $9/lb this week, so my buy price), roasted green beans with the same pesto sauce, sliced cara cara oranges, and cous cous (possibly also drizzled with the pesto - I have fresh basil to use up, so we'll see how much pesto I can make)

Tuesday - Aldi's Mexican style pork shoulder roast shredded for tacos with the works (homemade guac since avocados were on a great sale), Mexican rice, more sliced cara cara oranges and blueberries

Wednesday - Aldi's Everything Free boneless skinless chicken thighs with TBD marinade (something from the fridge), roasted butternut squash, homemade double apple muffins, last of the strawberries

Thursday - Clean out the freezer steak (I skipped this last Thursday, so I have to do it this Thursday), mashed potatoes, roasted zucchini, sliced apples

Friday - Church soup/pasta dinner - I'm bringing a top 9 allergy free Quinoa Tabbouleh salad (1st time trying to make this, but it should work with adjustments I've planned from the quinoa label recipe) and Gluten/Wheat/Dairy/Nut Free vanilla cupcakes with vanilla icing and sliced baby watermelon

Saturday - Dinner at the friend's house - I'm gonna bring pineapple to roast, and then probably bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, and rainbow carrots for roasting b/c they will match almost any protein my friend makes...

This weeks menu.

Sunday: homemade chicken pot pie (with leftover chicken from a white chicken) and salad

Tuesday: crab stuffing rolled in thin chicken breasts, asparagus, scallop potatoes

Tuesday: pasta, meatballs, garlic bread and salad

Wednesday: breakfast for dinner. Either waffles or spinach quiche, with sausage, and berries

Thursday: shrimp pesto pasta with salad

Friday: chicken fingers, and fries.

Saturday: late lunch with my parents at a seafood place so probably just a snack for dinner, maybe cheese and crackers.

Last edited:
Lets see. What can we do this week. We didn't go to Walmart this weekend, so we're going to see how long we can go without making a trip. SO here's what's in store for this week:

Tonight (Sunday): Leftover pizza/bread from lunch (we ate at Cheesecake Factory, so we had that leftover plus almost all the chicken and rice from wife's entree. So she'll take that for lunch tomorrow, which means we got 5 meals out of 1 CF trip).
Monday: Wife has bible study, so won't be eating supper. That means I'll make shrimp alfredo (homemade alfredo) since she doesn't like alfredo and bread (I will also take this for my lunch on Tuesday);
Tuesday: Sausage wrap and rice;
Wednesday; We have bible study and choir, so maybe cereal or toast or sandwiches;
Thursday: Something easy like chicken strips and tater tots;
Friday: Not sure as the freezer will be almost empty;
Saturday: Birthday dinner at Texas Roadhouse with my wife's family

Several meals carrying over from last week. My husband ended up collapsing and having a seizure last Wednesday and we had several people kind enough to bring/order us meals multiple nights after.

Last night: Cheesecake Factory
Tonight: Taco/burrito/nacho bar
Tuesday: Round steak & gravy (carried over from last week)
Wednesday: Smoked ribs, baked beans, veggies (carried over from last week)
Thursday: Spaghetti & meatballs
Friday: Frozen pizza & apps (carried over from last week)
Saturday: Grilled chicken, rice, veggies

My mom would make it that way. Way back when, chuck was a cheap cut of meat.

I also have my mom's recipe for beef barley soup. This is just parts of the recipe. Brown a nice piece of chuck....add a good handful of barley.......16 oz bag mixed frozen veggies....a couple handfuls of egg noodles..... on and on.....the only exact measure was the frozen veggies.....

That's so sad to hear. I'm sorry. I hope he's okay.

Several meals carrying over from last week. My husband ended up collapsing and having a seizure last Wednesday and we had several people kind enough to bring/order us meals multiple nights after.

I got home and the steak wasn’t completely thawed so we will have that tomorrow and the turkey breast Wednesday. We had breakfast for dinner tonight. Toast, scrambled eggs and the leftover O’Brien potatoes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter