Eating on ship while at Castaway Cay

Seriously, do you crawl? It's a 10 minute walk at most. It's not even a mile probably not even a half mile. I could walk to the adult beach on the other side of the island in 30 minutes.

It typically takes us 5-10 minutes to get from security onto the ship (including through the metal detectors and key card swipes) depending on the crowd; so 20-30 minutes from the family beaches (especially pelican plunge), through security, and then up to Cabanas sounds right to me.

Its also just under a mile from Pelican Plunge and I can’t walk a 10 minute mile in flip flops.

Is the food different at the adult section (isn't there a separate food area there?) I could of course be mistaken. Next cruise is the first where both kids will be adults, we might head to that area.

Is the food different at the adult section (isn't there a separate food area there?) I could of course be mistaken. Next cruise is the first where both kids will be adults, we might head to that area.
They grill steaks. Other then that it's about the same.

The adult area for lunch is alot smaller than the family area for lunch. But it is still a great choice for us.. Maybe we will try Cabanas on Castaway day if it rains, which is the forecast for Dec. 10th.

On my last stop at CC, I was up for the 5k, back to ship to shower and meet the gang who were still at breakfast, out to the beach. Lunch at Adult beach, eventually back to the ship, changed out of swimwear and we went back to the island a third time for some photos. OP If you think you'd enjoy lunch more on the ship, Go For It! You might even find the Post Office open without a line if you walk by at non-peak times.

Like most things in life, I think the true is between the extremes, I doubt it will take you 10 minutes to get from the family beach to Cabanas, but it's not going to take you 30 minutes either. (perhaps 30 from the adult beach if you just miss both trams) You're on vacation, don't sweat the small stuff, and have a great time doing what you want, including going back to the ship for lunch.

Are you allowed to bring food from the boat to eat on the beach at Castaway Cay? We will have a small cooler for drinks and thought we could bring some cut up veggies and fruit to snack on. I read that it was against the law to bring foods off the boat, but since this is a private island is it okay here?

Are you allowed to bring food from the boat to eat on the beach at Castaway Cay? We will have a small cooler for drinks and thought we could bring some cut up veggies and fruit to snack on. I read that it was against the law to bring foods off the boat, but since this is a private island is it okay here?
Not really sure on this one. It's a "private island" but it's still a foreign port. No need to bring anything, there's food on shore.

You won't be breaking any American laws. They have food for you to eat on the island.

Unless you are planning on returning to the ship early or need a midday break from the island, I wouldn't bother going all the back to Cabanas. By the time you pack up your belongings, walk/wait for the tram, get back on the ship and to Cabanas, it will take minimum 20 -30 minutes and then 20-30 minutes back to the island. You will lose at least an hour.

If you wanted to eat at Cabanas, I would leave the ship early, spend the morning on Casataway and then just get back on the ship for lunch. We have found the ship quite until 3pm or so. We enjoyed an almost empty Cabanas by midday, the adult pool was empty at 1pm and we rode the Aqua Duck several times between 2pm-3pm before it started to get busy again.

It's not actually a private island - it is part of the Bahamas that DCL has a lease on. Same rules apply as far as bring food off the boat. Pre-packaged and no fruit or vegetables. They do have a fruit stand at Cookies, and sliced fruit in the buffet line.

There is no need to bring snacks. There is plenty of food available on the island, including fresh fruit!

While I wasnt In love with the food in CC, It’s not like anyone goes hungry. You get an enormous breakfast, hang out at CC, eat a little if hungry, and then go back and gorge on the ship. Honestly it was nice to have one meal where I didn’t make a total pig of myself! It’s not like there is no food, it’s just not as good as the ship.

Last time I was there the fruit was fabulous, though the time before not so much. I like a beach-side burger and it's fun to sit at the picnic tables. We do a late brunch at Cabanas before heading out though so nobody is actually starving come lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter