Eating out

No need to feel guilty--I didn't even take this post as a frugality contest, lol!!! Just a post to see what people do. If you've got the money and you enjoy your meals out then never feel guilty.
^THIS

Same with anything else. My very close relative opted to spend a ton of money on a big house and fancy expensive furnishings. Looks really nice but they rarely entertain so .... We opted to have a "middle of the road house" for our area, average expense furnishings along with family pieces. They still have a mortgage after 35 years of home ownership while ours has been paid off a long time and we have a vacation home almost paid off (which they are able to use). They want designer clothes, I don't care other than nice purses. They want to spend big bucks at the salon, I go to Great Clips. We have different values and THAT IS OKAY. EVERYONE should spend their money how they enjoy and what makes them feel good whether it is your home, your belongings, your dining habits, your cars, your clothes etc. No one can make you feel guilty.

I don’t think it’s because people don’t notice what they’re paying. I think the opposite actually. People are more aware than ever and just realize how expensive eating out has become and have tried to scale back.

Some people who ate out regularly pre-Covid stopped during Covid until all restrictions were lifted. Then they realized how much money they saved and that they didn’t really miss it. Plus now the cost of everything has gone up considerably.
YUP this is us^^

When we were locked down and so were restaurants we joined a veggie/fruit delivery service. I got many I didn't even know what they were. Between that, being forced to cook daily and trying to keep our lock down interesting ~ I was trying all kinds of new recipes and it got me enjoying cooking again. Four adults who used to eat out alot now not being able to go out to eat ~ somehow we began to enjoy cooking & eating at home. When things opened I found I'd look at the price tag on the menu and the quality ... and think, wow, I could make this for so much less and it be better. Add the tax (our groceries are not taxed) and the gratuity I was no longer getting value for my money. I'd much rather spend it elsewhere.

No need to feel guilty--I didn't even take this post as a frugality contest, lol!!! Just a post to see what people do. If you've got the money and you enjoy your meals out then never feel guilty. I have the money and I would go out BUT I NO LONGER ENJOY IT. Wish I did. As I said upthread, if I was living where my son does in San Diego, I'd probably be out 4 nights a week, some breakfasts and a lunch here or there. I guess maybe I'd get tired of it eventually. Or I'd gain 30 lbs, lol!!
This is us as well. We can afford to go out, however, the selection of restaurants nearby are so-so and do not enjoy it as much. We still go out approximately 1X per week for dinner, an occasional breakfast or lunch out. We moved 2 years ago from an area that had tons of good restaurants, not all chains either.

I do agree, though, that it's tough to get out of most chain restaurants for less than $20/person. We have a Dairy Queen near us and my daughter asked if I could pick up lunch there the other day. It's not my favorite place for "food" (I like the ice cream, though!) but I sucked it up and picked up lunch there since I know she likes it and she's heading back to college in a few days. She had 2 chili cheese dogs, a small blizzard, and a small order of fries (that we shared); and I had a hot dog, med. drink, and a small sundae. Our bill was $30! For -- at best -- mediocre food. Other than Longhorn and occasionally Olive Garden, DH & I typically stick to privately owned pub type restaurants....which still aren't cheap, but the food is a much better quality than the chains and we're supporting a small business.
Speaking of DQ/fast food places, we do not eat at any fast food places, would rather eat at local restaurants (even when traveling!). However, last year my dad passed away 1/1 and lived in Florida, we are in DE and our son and daughter in law in South Jersey. We decided to drive down but our son & daughter in law were bringing their dog. Therefore, we had to eat in the car so she wasn’t left alone, fast food was it. It served the purpose of filling the belly and getting back on the road quickly. I can’t remember the figures but stunned with how much it was for burgers/fries/drink or chicken sandwiches/fries/drink for the 4 of us. Outrageous. For that kind of money, could have eaten at a fairly decent restaurant with much better food.

It's partly because I'm getting older, but I'm finding it almost impossible to find a good quality burger for much less than $20. And have you noticed they've gotten so tiny?
Checking online at my favorite gourmet burger place and somehow he has kept his burgers under $14 without cutting size or quality. Actually, looking at the menu I have at home from before the pandemic, he has only raised prices by about 50 cents.
http://www.skipskitchen.com/docs/SkipsKitchen_Menu.pdf

Yes, we cut way back, too. I was referring to folks who listed number of times/week out and then a number. Those numbers are practically impossible if you're "eating out" unless you are just picking up, say, a pizza...
I don't know about pizza, it is CRAZY expensive. I picked up the tab for three medium pizzas from PIZZA HUT, for pick up when we were at my sons house in Los Angeles and it was $62! Apparently they weren't eligible for the $10 large special. Of course our local great pizza place is charging $25 for a medium, $30 for a large, and $35 for an Extra Large.

🤣🤣🤣 Maybe I should stop my weekly DIS sabbatical and just take the humor/beating/laughter that it brings. Sidebar: Chicken Fiesta yucca fries might just be the best thing ever. Move to VA, cuz you missing out!!!
I live in VA. Where you getting that?

We eat out once or twice a week. Order out once. If we go out it’s generally a nice restaurant with a bottle of wine so we are definitely over $1000 for dining monthly.

1 degree above? That's cute. :goodvibes We're in the heart of a Canadian prairies winter. Here's our current conditions; I've posted it in Fahrenheit for you. Things are supposed to turn for the better a little bit next week. Even so, I can promise you somewhere very near here, somebody is grilling even as we speak. :teeth:
View attachment 825339
I must have lucked out when I visited Calgary in January. Posting in Fahrenheit too, it was about 40 to 45 the three days I was there. There was some snow piled on the edges of parking lots, but everything else was clear.

On the other hand, Edmonton was in the teens Fahrenheit during the day, and it snowed on top on much snow already on the ground.

Everyone said I was crazy for going to Alberta in January, but as it turned out, there was a deep freeze in the eastern US part of that week and even Edmonton was warmer.

I must have lucked out when I visited Calgary in January. Posting in Fahrenheit too, it was about 40 to 45 the three days I was there. There was some snow piled on the edges of parking lots, but everything else was clear.

On the other hand, Edmonton was in the teens Fahrenheit during the day, and it snowed on top on much snow already on the ground.

Everyone said I was crazy for going to Alberta in January, but as it turned out, there was a deep freeze in the eastern US part of that week and even Edmonton was warmer.
We had amazing weather up until this week. :goodvibes You definitely lucked out because I can't remember such a lovely December/early January and what we've got now is much more like normal. Thanks for coming and I hope you had a good time. Y'all come back and see us again, y'hear! :wave2:

I'm going to estimate $250 to $300 a month for two adults. Every Friday and Saturday night.
Some of these estimates are from places that must have much lower food prices than here.
Last Friday we had dinner at In and Out, A single cheeseburger, a double cheese burger, one order of fries and one order of Animal Style fries came to $17. Saturday night IHOP, eggs and steak tips, senior turkey dinner and two coffees came to $38, $45 with tip.
I think the last time I went to McDonalds I got two Egg McMuffins and a Mocha and it was $17
We eat out once a month maybe two. Not twice a week,
Could never ever afford twice a week.

Too much. Easily $500 a month. We don't really do fast food so we usually go to dinner at least once a week, out some place nice. And our DDs are older so that's 4 adults. I don't mind though, we are frugal in other areas to be able to afford this. And DH and I bring our lunch to work everyday.

We had amazing weather up until this week. :goodvibes You definitely lucked out because I can't remember such a lovely December/early January and what we've got now is much more like normal. Thanks for coming and I hope you had a good time. Y'all come back and see us again, y'hear! :wave2:
My poor colleague is emigrating from Islamabad to Regina at the end of January. He texted me saying "I don't even understand what -38C means". I've told him that he can get extra stuff when in Regina but he needs to find at least some warm clothing to get from airport to hotel and hotel to mall.

My poor colleague is emigrating from Islamabad to Regina at the end of January. He texted me saying "I don't even understand what -38C means". I've told him that he can get extra stuff when in Regina but he needs to find at least some warm clothing to get from airport to hotel and hotel to mall.
I daresay the weather won't be his only major adjustment. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter