• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Eating outside the parks

4Parksoneworld

Earning My Ears
We arrive on a Monday in July and want to find a place outside of the parks for dinner (don't have tickets until the next day).

We have 2 daughters (ages 3 & 7).

Looking for a "nice" place that kids can enjoy as well.

We did trader sam's a few years back, and is still an option for an early evening dinner, but are there other recommendations? How is Story Tellers for dinner?

Any other recommendations?

Probably not doing character dinning this time.

We have always liked eating at Mimi's Cafe because it is walking distance with good food and good portions. There are a lot more options if you have a car and want to drive somewhere.

We'd like to stay around DTD.

Also, we would consider a character dinner if it is good.. How is Goofy's for dinner?

Rainforest Café is a great place for kids. The food is a bit pricey, but so is everything around DTD. We really like Tortilla Jo's too.

Ok, if sticking to DTD, I'd say:
  1. Goofy's Kitchen - if $$ is not an issue
  2. Tortilla Jo's - if you're from Ontario, Canada, then I'm betting that your options back home are minimal for good Mexican food. They make their own tortillas here. The tortillas are GOOD (and I'm picky about tortillas).
  3. Rainforest Cafe - your kids would love it. Food a tad expensive for the quality.

We like Naples if you are going to stick with DTD if you want something off site we like Cheese Cake Factort of Bubba Gump Shrimp at GardenWalk.

I guess that depends on you definition of what kids would enjoy? Are we ta
lking food or atmosphere?

We plan on having dinner at Napa Rose one day, and DD (then 3) will be with us. She's always been really great in restaurants - she *loves* watching all the people around her - so we're not really concerned at taking her there (for us, or for other patrons...she doesn't bother anyone, just watches). She eats pretty much whatever we give her too, so I'm sure we can find something there that will be fine.

We have always seen kids in Napa Rose when we dine (especially when we have an earlier reservation - like 5 or 5:30 - so I wouldn't think it would be a problem to bring her there.

I enjoy Goofy's Kitchen more for dinner then I do breakfast. Great option to get ya in the Disney mood and lots of food choices!

If you want "nice"...Napa Rose at the Grand has the best food anywhere on site in my opinion and totally kid friendly of they are well behaved.

Storytellers for me has just been "Meh" every time I am there. Never impressed enough to wanna go back.

Rainforest Cafe is cool atmosphere but just chain restaurant food.

I am always a fan of Catal. I think it is one of the more underrated places in DTD but just a regular ol restaurant...noting Disney about it other then location.

Steakhouse 55 at the DL Hotel also fits into the "nice" category and has great food.

I like the happy hour at Ruth's Chris, but it's only in the bar area. Tables might be hard to come by (I don't know the layout in Anaheim). I tend to get my kid the Prime Burger with fries and then feed with a fork. Happy hour is 4:30-6:30.

http://www.ruthschris.com/restaurant-locations/anaheim
http://www.ruthschris.com/bar/happy-hour/

I remember when they had some locations where the happy hour price was $6. That was just a ridiculous deal. It was also very hard to find a seat, although I was typically solo. When I've gone with my family I feel like a vulture waiting for a table to open up.

Our first night we usually do Cheesecake factory.. go up Harbor and turn left onto Katella . there are a number of places to eat along Katella

Storyteller's is good...we like it there...you can order off the menu or do the buffet. It is one of our "go to" places....always a nice meal. Corn Chowder is excellent! Steakhouse 55 is more pricey, but fantastic!

We don't enjoy Tortilla Joe's, it gives us "tummy problems" for 2 or 3 days after we eat there, not fun in the parks.....so we won't go back.
Rainforest Cafe is fun, the food is good too. We like House of Blues and we really like Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. All in DTD.

We also like Bubba Gump's, Cheesecake Factory, Red Robin and Joe's Crab Shack outside the parks.

The Jazz Kitchen is really fun if you can get yourself seated in the main dining room while the musician is playing. I have a wonderful video of my kid dancing next to the pianist...I have to say, I think she stole the show!

If you want to stay in Downtown Disney, then I recommend

1) Rainforest Cafe
2) Tortilla Jo's (one of my personal favorites - side table guacamole is great)
3) Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen

I only put Rainforest as #1 because of the animatronics & fish aquariums for kids - my kids loved it when they were younger

Garden Walk has Cheesecake Factory, Bubba Gump, and California Pizza Kitchen - all good options.

Mimi's Cafe is great and relatively close (within walking distance in my opinion)

Pizza Press on Harbor (across the street), Fire and Ice (Mongolian bbq) are also very good choices.

We love Jazz Kitchen and Tortilla Joes but not sure about the kids because they are so young. If I was choosing based on what the kids would enjoy most then obviously Goofys Kitchen is the answer.

If you have a car, venture away from the resort district. Anaheim has tremendous Mexican food (obviously), but is blessed with a wealth of other immigrant cultures. My kids love the Vietnamese and the Lebanese food (Lebanese, if you haven't had it before, has very similar influences as Greek).

This may sound cheap and very redneck, but there's an IHOP right there at the DL crosswalk. It happens to be my son and youngest daughter's favorite place to eat. They can't get enough pancakes! While it's pricier there than other IHOPs, it's still cheaper than other places in the area. We also like Rainforest Cafe if we don't have a meal budget.

Mimi's is my go to restaurant while in Anaheim. It is literally across the street and happens to be in front of my hotel many trips. It is much more cost effective and tends to be very good coffee shop food. DTD has lots of options but can be pricey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter