ebags Packing Cubes?

Disney Princess

Member Since Day 1
I've been interested in packing cubes ever since I read all the people on this board recommending them. American Express has a $10 off of $50 ebags offer right now. Before I make the purchase, I have a few questions.

1) What brand do you like?
2) What size(s) do you recommend?
3) How do you pack them? (outfits separated into individual cubes, shirts in one, socks in one, etc.??)
4) How many do you think one adult needs? One child?

Thanks for any tips.

I love the ebags ones. Go through ebates too. I have a variety of sizes and use about six for packing for myself for a week. Four to six for the kids seems sufficient. I usually use one for pajamas, one for exercise clothes, one for underwear and socks, a small one for electronics cords, etc.

I have a bunch of the eBags cubes (too many actually - you don't need as many as you think you do!). I use the medium and small the most. Sometimes I will use 1 large one, but usually just on longer trips. I took 2 medium, 3 small and 1 large for my clothes on a 12 day trip overseas this past summer. They accommodated 1 summer-type outfit a day (typically a skort and top for me), plus a few extras for good measure, along with swimsuits, undergarments, pajamas, a cardigan and even a rain jacket. The key is to roll your clothes and really stuff as much as you can into the cubes so they compress things some. I tend to stuff tops/bottoms of outfits together into the same cube so I don't have to dig to find things, but that's really up to you. Sometimes I put all tops in one, bottoms in another, etc. Just depends on the nature of the trip and what I think the organizational issues will be.

I like the eBags cubes - no quality issues, zippers seem strong and all that jazz. They seem to be some of the best deals for good quality bags in terms of price, that's why I went with them.

I also have several Eagle Creek Pack It Half Tubes for things like first aid supplies, electronic and other small bits and pieces, etc. I like these because the extendable handle on my suitcase is inside (as opposed to on the outside of the bag) and these fill in the spaces between those poles perfectly.

ETA: To give another perspective, for a 4 day/3 night trip recently, I used just 1 medium and 1 small cube and they weren't completely stuffed. I don't put makeup and toiletries into the cubes, I use a makeup bag for those. And shoes have their own shoe bags.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I have the ebags version as well. When we are driving somewhere I'll pack similar clothes together (undergarmets, workout clothes, tops, bottoms, etc)in small/medium bags. When we fly to Europe I'll use larger ones and pack 2 or 3 days worth of clothes in one (large) cube and distribute them among suitcases so if, for some chance, a suitcase is lost, then there will be some clothes in DH and/or DD's bags(and vice versa). So I use small and medium most often but also large. I tried to color coordinate (pink for me, green for DD, yellow for DH) but sometimes forget ;)

1) What brand do you like? - I have only used ebags Brand and LOVE love love them!
2) What size(s) do you recommend? - I bought the small, medium, large set, the slim or narrow set, the pack-it-flat toiletry bag, and the padded pouches. I also just bought another small bag because I needed a filler item for an eBay coupon code. You can never have too many!
3) How do you pack them? (outfits separated into individual cubes, shirts in one, socks in one, etc.??) - There are a ton of YouTube videos on packing so that might be a good start, but it really depends on the trip. I used them for a slit stay at WDW last year (2 nights in each hotel), and had clothes for AoA in one and clothes for when we moved to PC in another. That way, I could easily "unpack" for each hotel and pack up my dirty clothes and put them back in a cube when we left. For any other long trip, I can usually fit most of my clothes in a large cube. I use the small one as an organizer for my carry-on stuff on an airplane. It fits the iPad perfectly, a book, some snacks, etc. I just throw the cube in my carry-on bag and can easily access what I need without having to shuffle around a bag to get it. I use the padded pouches to hold all of my cords, chargers, memory cards, etc.
4) How many do you think one adult needs? One child? - I have all of the items listed in #2 but I have never used them all at once. Since I have started using the ebags cubes, I also bought the Jr. Motherload Backpack as my primary piece of luggage, so not nearly everything would fit in there. I probably use the large or medium size the most, along with one or two of the slim cubes. I bought my child a set of the small, medium, and large in his own color. The small is great for an airplane worth of activities, and the large is big enough for clothes.

You really can't go wrong. I would love to purchase more and more, but I really don't need anything else. I might get some shoe bags though sometime in the future.

I used packing cubes for the first time on a 15 day trip to Europe this summer and I LOVED them. I had a small, medium and large. The large held all my pants, medium was shirts and small was undies and pyjamas. It kept things well organized. I never thought I would like them, but I will be using them from now on.

Love the eBags brand. Have used them on several cross country trips. You can really get a lot in them (I roll most of my clothes). They've stood up after several trips.
Also a American Express cardholder so remember they extend the guarantee of items you buy.

I bought them back in 06 for out first trip and so live them.I use them for weekends all the time. Even when I go by myself. I bought green and blue ebags sets. Then added in the shopping cart the long skinny ones also. We are giving or kids a 14 day dw trip for Christmas this year and I just bought 3 more ebags sets. A red set for ds girlfriend who is going a new black set just nicer looking for ds 17 who is going on another scuba trip with someone from his dive team. Then a nice blue one for dd and I got get 2 blue sets from ikea because they didn't have pink ones this time. Dd has never gone to dw with us before so she doesn't have any. I let my nice use them when she wad in college and went over seas for a semester. Then when she had a baby I bought him a set. She said it was great to pack his cloths in one. Miss in other ect. You just grab a bag outta the diaper bag no hunting for stuff. I bought my cousins kids each a set when they traveled to Albania to meet there dads family. She loved then so much she ordered her and hubby some when they got back. I have quiet a few from rei that are mine. There a blue kinda with lines through the blue. They were sold individually but where on cleared when I bought the first ones. The new sets I got lay week for $5 bucks a set. We have a store in the big city that is a shipping com conglomerate for Amazon and they have a sale at the warehouse once a month where you dog through 4x4x4 boxes. Some are 1 buck or 5. Ect. What a find since I was buying them anyway for one of few gifts they get this year. Spend the extra money if need be to get the color you want. You'll use them forever

I don't think the brand is really all that important (JMO) as they are all pretty much the same and do the same things. I have Heys for no other reason than that was the brand that I found available at the time. If I had to replace any I would just buy the cheapest ones I could. I find that I mostly use the medium and the small.

I will make a suggestion though. I have a set of purple for myself and a set of green for DH, that way its very easy to pull them out of the luggage and know who's is who's. I suggest you get everyone their own color so you can keep your family orgainized. Its not a make or break thing but it sure is nice and helpful. I also have a black set that I use. The large black is for dirty laundry that is coming home with us. Dirty items get folded and put into the black one then when I get home I unzip it and toss the cloths and the packing cube right into the wash. Clean cloths are in our colored packing cubes and can be put into their proper drawers without getting mixed up with the dirty stuff. The small black cube I use to keep sundry items such as my first aid kit, nail clippers, tweezers, laundry detergeant packs, highlighters, pretty much any miscellaneous items.

Also, I never unpack the cubes. I unzip them, fold the lids under and put the cube directly into the drawer. Saves unpacking time plus I'm always a bit worried about what might have been in the drawer before I got to use it.

Okay, stupid question here.

I just bought a pair of packing cubes b/c I found a great sale on them, but - and this is the stupid part - how do I use them to make the most of my packing space? Thanks!

Okay, stupid question here.

I just bought a pair of packing cubes b/c I found a great sale on them, but - and this is the stupid part - how do I use them to make the most of my packing space? Thanks!

You basically over fill each packing cube so that when you zip it up you have to compress everything to zip it closed. I have tested with and without the packing cubes for the same articles of clothing and the packing cubes make a huge difference. If you aren't stuffing them and zip them without compressing then they just help with organizing.

I've been interested in packing cubes ever since I read all the people on this board recommending them. American Express has a $10 off of $50 ebags offer right now. Before I make the purchase, I have a few questions.

1) What brand do you like?
2) What size(s) do you recommend?
3) How do you pack them? (outfits separated into individual cubes, shirts in one, socks in one, etc.??)
4) How many do you think one adult needs? One child?

Thanks for any tips.

1) Ebags especially when the American Airlines shopping portal is offering 15 miles/dollar
2) I find I use the medium for most items
3) It depends on the trip. Over the summer we went on the Adventures by Disney Danube river cruise which was preceded by a week in Ireland. The climates were completely different. The weather in the countries on the river cruise were in the high 70's and 80's. Ireland was in the high 50's and low 60'. I'm from Florida and anything below 70 is considered winter weather. I used one color for all of our Ireland gear which included long sleeves, rain jackets, jeans and hiking shoes. I used a different color for the river cruise clothes which included shorts, light weight tops etc. I tend to pack all of the like items in one bag and label it with masking tape: Jammies, undergarments, tops, bottoms.
4) You can never have too many packing cubes. Seriously, it depends on the length of the trip and how you tend to pack.

You basically over fill each packing cube so that when you zip it up you have to compress everything to zip it closed. I have tested with and without the packing cubes for the same articles of clothing and the packing cubes make a huge difference. If you aren't stuffing them and zip them without compressing then they just help with organizing.

I'm going to disagree with this statement. I never compress my items, I would not because I would fear wrinkles, but I still pack more in my suitcases than I do without the cubes. I tried packing with and without when I first got them and was amazed at the difference. I think its because when your not using them your items are moving all over the suitcase and when you do use them the items stay put. That's just my theory and certainly not scientific in any way. Could be totally off the mark.
Do they help organize? Absolutely. But I don't feel compression is the only way they help you pack in more.
JMO.

I love my ebags packing cubes!!
I use all the sizes for different things, all shirts in one, bottoms, cami's, undergarments, etc all get their own. I also use the roll method so I can fit plenty in them without having to compress everything. They really help me stay organized too. When I get to the hotel or wherever I'm staying, I hang up what needs to be hung and then I just leave everything else in their packing cube.

I'm going to disagree with this statement. I never compress my items, I would not because I would fear wrinkles, but I still pack more in my suitcases than I do without the cubes. I tried packing with and without when I first got them and was amazed at the difference. I think its because when your not using them your items are moving all over the suitcase and when you do use them the items stay put. That's just my theory and certainly not scientific in any way. Could be totally off the mark.
Do they help organize? Absolutely. But I don't feel compression is the only way they help you pack in more.
JMO.

Good to know that they can work for space saving for some people without compressing. That has not been my experience of course. When packing light for a weekend and using the cubes I find that they make no difference with regards to space. Cramming everything for a 3 week trip into the cubes, however, makes a world of difference.

I just got back from a 12 day 5000 mile road trip to some of the major national parks with my 91 YO dad and sister...They were both amazed at how easy it was for me to keep up with my stuff. My secret? Packing cubes from ebags. I think my sister ordered at set for her and her husband as soon as she got home. I am a believer :)

I think i'm in the minority but I don't like the cubes. I thought they'd be great and have tried a few different ones. I really wanted to like them because of the organization, but i could not fit as much in my suitcase using the cubes. I have most recently tried the ebags brand. I did end up keeping just one smaller sized one to put all our charging cords in so it works great for that so they aren't tangled up.

Thanks for the reply and the advice!

JMO.

Thanks for the reply and the alternate opinion. I'll try both ways and see what works best in my suitcase!

I love packing cubes! I got the dot dot brand on amazon in the medium size and love them. I like how I don't make a giant mess in my suitcase when I'm looking for something and it's super easy to unpack. I also tend to bring too much stuff so I limit myself by using the packing cubes, if it doesn't fit, I can't bring it lol.

I have eBags, and Rick Steves. The ones I use the most are the mediums - not sure why people need so many but I can pack for a week + in a medium cube and a small cube. The medium for outfits, the small for pjs and undies, both would have tons of extra space. I do have the large size but only use those when we have stuff that I dont want to get wrinkled, like when we have to pack DH's buttondown shirts. Basically for 3 of us, 7-10 days I use 3 mediums, 2 smalls. I do have to add that DH's cargo shorts are super bulky and I do not put them in cubes.

When I pack I try to do so by outfit, and put some of mine, DH and DD in each cube. I am paranoid and always think one of our bags will get lost, this way if one does get lost we all have some clothes in the other bag. I really think it depends on your packing style. I used to overpack (several of extra shoes, outfits), but have been moving to just what we will actually wear, a pair of shoes (plus the one we wear on travel day) and maybe an extra outfit or top. We travel with just 21" carry-on, and a backpack/tote each.

I just got my mom a set for Christmas - she always comments on my cubes when we visit and she will be taking a European cruise next Summer. This is teh set I got her and they seem very good quality and a great price -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DDTO3O4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter