EBTA v WBTA - opinions?

lelalittlelegs

Mouseketeer
I have the choice of doing either the WBTA in Sept 2020 or the EBTA in May 2021. We will be 2 adults and a 12/13 year old girl. We live in England and arrival/departure ports and flights to/from home are somewhat irrelevant to us. So my question is: if you were doing a TA just for the cruise (and not the destination), would you choose an EBTA or WBTA? And why?

If you’ve done one before or better yet, have done both, can you tell me why you preferred one to the other? In recent years the WBTA seems to follow the northern route so I’m assuming moving forward WBTA will be northern route and EBTA will be southerly route.

As I say, it’s not so much about cost or departure date/location. Just about the actual cruise and route. Which would you choose or do again? And why would you avoid the other?

Thank you :flower1:

I have not done either but have done the 14 night panama and 10 night Hawaii 💗

There is a few things to ask yourself which YOU would prefer.

I prefer to get the worst flight done first if I can so easier to get home and no jet lag

My friend likes doing the ones that end in the uk so she can get loads from bath and body works so doesn’t have to worry about suitcase weight

I love sea days and having just got off the fantasy missed our last day not being a sea day as I like to “go over” the things I loved as mentioned above so would prefer sea days last.

Being from the UK as well would you prefer more European stops or US stops? I would prefer US. I am wanting to do the transatlantic in September but they are “colder” ports the last few years

Just a few things for you to think what you would prefer :)

Whatever you decide you will love it 😍

Oh and since I don’t know how to edit now 😆 the longer the better.

As I say the panama is 14 days and next batch out very soon

We've done both and truly would do either again. What I would base it on was the length of the cruise. Seems DCL has been shortening both but the WB is getting too short. While next years ends right on our doorstep in NY, it hardly seems worth flying to Europe for a 10 day cruise. We enjoy the sea days and prefer the crossing take a little more time to enjoy. We had a hard time with changing the time both ways (losing an hour a night on the EB might have been slightly more difficult for us but gaining an hour each night on the WB wasn't as easy as we thought it would be.) With only 5 sea days on the WB, that would mean a time change on each one.

As others have said, the other consideration is the long flight on one end. It is nice to get that over with first. So ideally we'd do the WB but we find the itineraries on the EB usually are more interesting. Being in England, you can get the long flight done first, do a more interesting and longer EB sailing but endure losing an hour several nights.

We have been on one EBTA (2014) and two WBTA (2015, 2018). Both cruises are great. The WBTA is easier as far as the time change. Our daughter was 12 on the last trip in 2018 and she had a great time. There are hardly any kids on the cruise, 273 kids on the WBTA in 2018. She met kids her age ahead of time on the cruise group so she already knew a bunch of kids in the Edge, we hardly saw her lol! The WBTA cruises do have more kids and older tween age kids than the WBTA cruises.

Given the choice, we probably do an EBTA next mainly because we live in Nova Scotia and the WBTA has come to Nova Scotia for the last few years. Also, warmer weather would be nice. Although it was warm on the WBTA last year. I am working on a trip report for our WBTA last year if you want to check it out. https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...8-updated-may-25-let-the-magic-begin.3731605/

My choice is usually based on itinerary + price - but longer is better. I have done only EBTA on Disney, but have sailed both directions on other cruise lines. The TA in May 2013 from Galveston to Barcelona had a pretty ho-hum itinerary, but the price was decent. The May 2015 TA from Port Canaveral to Copenhagen had a great itinerary, but a considerably higher price. Lately, the TAs have had both ho-hum itineraries and high prices!

Regardless of the direction, I always spend extra time on land in Europe. I can't imagine flying to Europe and immediately boarding a ship that heads home (or the reverse).

We have only been on one TA, going west. After doing the EBPC and losing an hour about every other day, we love getting an extra hour here and there to sleep in longer and get just a smidge more cruise for the $$.

I haven't done one (yet!), but if the dates and price were not a significant consideration I would choose the westbound trip for sure, on the time change alone. I've often thought that I would operate better on a 25 or even 26 hour day, so I would love to gain an extra hour on several nights. And losing hours would kill me. But of course that's totally a matter of preference. It's interesting to hear how many people actually prefer the eastbound time change, or struggle equally with both.

I am doing the WBTA in September and I'm glad that the trip is shorter. I can't do the longer trips. I am also excited about the itinerary because the only place I've been before is London, so the ports will be new to me. I've been to most of the EBTA ports before so don't have as much interest in them, plus the time of year does not work for me at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter