ECV (2) Parking at Resorts? AKL and Poly

Lynn

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I will be traveling with my parents, both who will need to be renting ECVs. We are splitting our stay between AKL and the Poly. I was thinking of renting the ECVs from an off-site company and having them delivered, so we wouldn't run the risk of not being able to rent them at the parks if they run out. Both parents are mobile - (walk very slow, canes), so ECVs are a must in order to enjoy the parks but not absolutely mandatory at the resorts.

My questions are - where would we park 2 ECVs at the resorts? Do they have to go in the rooms? That seems crowded. or can you just bring the batteries in to the room to charge? Also, when we transfer from AKL to the Poly, we will have to take the bus- how does that work? are most buses equipped to handle 2 ECVs? and how about the monorail - any ECV problems there?

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

AKL rooms may be a tight squeeze for two ECVs. If you will be having more than one room, it should be no problem to put one ECV in each. The rooms at the Poly are much larger than in AKL.

All the Disney buses are equipped to handle two ECVs or WCs. Each monorail train can handle four. The only problem might be if a bus already has one ECV or WC passenger.

I know at some resorts, you can park/leave ecvs with bell services. As long as your parents are able to walk down to where the ecv is stored, it would work out. I'm not positive this is available at all resorts, but it would not hurt to ask.
As Cheshire Figment mentioned, your only problem with the bus would be if there is already one ecv/wheelchair on. I think the delux resorts only have one bus stop, so you would know when you get to the stop if there are already people waiting.
While staying at the Poly, you could get to all the parks except AK by using the monorail (although the Studio would require a stop at Epcot and then cutting thru Epcot to get to the Studio.

Unless you have a special charge unit, the batteries have to be attached to the chair for charging.

As many people have said, bell services can store the chair and charge it. Also at Animal Kingdom Lodge since most everything is connected indoors, I'm sure there is probably an out of the way corner in the lobby area with a plug where the chairs could be left overnight without being bothered.

Carol

Thank you all for your advice! It sounds like bell services will probably be able to handle the storage and charging - which will be really nice. I really want my parents to enjoy this trip and not get worn out. I am so glad I found this forum and thanks again for all the help!

Lynn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter