ECV and ASMusic

SallyfromDE

DIS Veteran
I broke my foot last year and spent 7 months in a cast and wheelchair, unable to walk, bend, climb, stand, drive or anything else you might be able to think of. The last few months, I've pretty much been learning how to reuse my foot.

Up until I fell, Disney was never a problem as I walked over 8 hours a day at my job, approx 9-10 miles. I recently returned to work fully duty, and my RSD has flared up in the opposite foot. By the time the day is half over, both legs are literally numb up to my knees. I'm back on restricted duty and having some Xrays, cat scans done and getting back on meds.

Not trying to bore anyone with details, just hoping someone may have had a similar disbility, can help with thier experience.

With my trip in less then a month, I came to the conclusion, that I'm not going to be able to walk this vacation. I'm worried because it's just myself and my 6yo. I've tried to get others to go without luck. And I don't want to cancel this trip. Anyway, I debated on the renting in the park and outside. Decided on renting from the outside in the event I might need the ECV when I go to a water park, DTD or if it's just too rough to make it back to the room. Plus I'm concerned that there won't be any chairs when I get to the park.

I've talked myself into believeing I'll be okay getting on and off the bus. But now I'm worried about staying at a resort that is a second stop. I've been in line other years where I've seen the bus driver tell people they had to get off and wait for the next bus, so he could load a wheelchair, and that's just not right. Or trying to "park" the ECV while there are people on the bus.

When I made my ressie, there was nothing at POP. And I fully expected to back in walking condition at this point.

Can anyone ease my concerns? Do you think I will have trouble getting a ECV in the parks, the end of Sept? Or is the bus issue a problem?

We've stayed as ASMusic several times and never had a problem with the busses. During peak times of the day there will be busses dedicated to each AS resort. I was at Pop once and waited for a second bus because there were already enough people in the queue line when I arrived in the w/c line to fill over one bus and I didn't feel it was fair for me to board first when others had been waiting longer- that was a personal decision but the bus driver looked grateful and thanked me for that. Another bus came in only about 5 min. so I didn't wait long. With the newer ramp vs. lift busses it will be much easier for you to maneuver an ECV. You'll be better off having it with you vs. standing in line and wasting time trying to rent one daily, plus for the reasons you mentioned it's better to have your own. One thing not mentioned is the cost which is also a better value if you're staying longer than a few days to rent from an outside vendor. I hope you have a great trip and if I were in your shoes, I'd be going too!---Kathy

I forgot about the dedicated buses in the mornings. So I feel better already. Like you, I wouldn't mind waiting if there are plenty of people ahead of me. It was just etched in my mind, the time the bus driver made those people from the previous stop, get off. That was probably an exception. In all the years I've been going, I've only seen that once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter