• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ECV and GAC

Haley Whippet

DIS Veteran
:earsgirl:
Hi Everyone. I use a ECV and we will be spending New Years Eve and the week after at WDW. I read conflicting info about getting a GAC. Some say as long as I use a ECV I won't need to get one, others say get one.. What should I do?
Also, Will it be really hard for me to get around the MK on New Years Eve?
Thanks!
:earsgirl: Deb

If there are no other issues requiring a GAC then the ECV will be enough. You will need to get Fastpass or go through the regular lines in the ECV. REmember it willbe very crowded New Years Eve so get there early. Have a great time.

If your only disability is one of mobility, your ECV will effectively be your GAC. If you have a second disability, one that cannot be deduced from your use of the ECV and one that needs special consideration from CMs, get a GAC.

I was at Epcot in my power wheelchair a few years back. It was packed and getting around took extra care. However, I suspect that everyone was having trouble getting around, disabled or not. I assume MK would be the same.

Don't forget that Disney is bound to comply with safety regulations and has to limit numbers in the park for safety. New Years Eve is a popular night at all the parks and Downtown. As the parks approach capacity they first stop offsite visitors by closing the car parks and eventually stop guests from Disney hotels too. Disney hotel guests are entitled to entry to a park, but not necessarily the one of their choice. Magic Kingdom and Epcot are the most popular. The year I went, they closed Epcot to offsite visitors early afternoon, and closed to everyone before dark.

Andrew

::yes::
As the others said, if your need is mobility, you don't need a GAC. The CMs can see that you need an accessible entrance (for the relatively few attractions that are not totally accessible. If you didn't already look at the disABILITIES FAQs thread, the last post in that thread is about GACs.

Be prepared on NYE that you will basically not be moving anywhere very fast. In my experience being at WDW 3 times on NYE, you basically could not stretch your arm out in any direction without hitting someone.

I have been to WDW 3 times on New Years Eve. Once was at MK and it was VERY busy. We did not have DD (who uses a wheelchair with us). It was busy enough that 2 people walking had some difficulty getting around just because it is so busy. So, I would not plan on being able to move freely around MK. At a certain point in the evening, it was basically to tight to move and we just stayed put. Much of the crowd actually left right after midnight (a lot of the people with small children). We stayed until they actually closed the park at 2 am and had very little wait for the bus. That was in 2000-2001.

2 years ago, DH and I were at Epcot. It was not so busy as MK and we found it was a bit hard to get around, but not impossible to move. It ended up pouring rain about 8pm, so we ended up going back to the resort (we were staying at BC.) We intended to go back later, but it actually poured until about 2am.

Last year, DH, I and another couple were at Epcot. It was quite busy, basically, you are best off just going with the flow and wherever the crowd is going, just follow. We did go on some attractions - the wait wasn't bad because most people were not riding. They were just sort of hanging out. By about 6pm, we were tired of fighting the crowds (the other couple had nver been to WDW and were totally overwhelmed). We went back to our resort (BWV), where we ended up having a great time listening to a DJ and we ended up not going to the park.

After New Years, the crowds go down considerably. By 1/2 it was actually a nice level of people.

I have more than mobility issues,I have a chronic pain disorder, And some other issues.
I wonder if I should just get a pass incase I need extra assistance at some point durring the trip..
Deb

For New Years Eve itself, the issue will be just getting from place to place in the parks, which a GAC won't help with. After NYE, the crowds go down considerably, so you probably won't really need one because the waits in line will be short. Since you are planning to be there after New Years, I would not plan to go on any rides on NYE. Use that night to just soak up the atmosphere and see the special shows, etc that might be there only for that night.

If you do request a Guest Assistance Card, just be ready to explain what sort of assistance you need so that the GAC you get fits your needs. Also, keep in mind that it is a tool to let the CMs know what sorts of accomidation you need and not all attractions have all types of accomidation.

PS.
You don't have to necessarily get a GAC the first day. You can go in to Guest Services any time during your trip and explain what sorts of difficulties you are having.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter