ECV from Pop Century to Parks???

Mouskateacher

Earning My Ears
Hello All,

I'm going to WDW in April and will be staying at the Pop Century. We are not renting a car. How easy is it to get the ECVs on the buses that go to and from the resorts?

I do not normally need a wheelchair but due to my physical limitations other DIS posters suggested that I get an EVC. I've never used one before. I have bipolar disorder and my moods can still swing pretty far. If it's going to be too much of a stress to get the ECV to and from the park on the bus... I might be better served trying to rent a wheelchair once I'm actually in the park.

This is my first trip to WDW and I don't want physical pain or emotional episodes to wreck my trip.

Help?

Hi, Mouskateacher!

There are two kinds of buses at WDW. One is the older ones with a lift that the driver lowers, you drive onto and then it raises it up. Then you manuver the ECV into the space that is left when three of the bus seats are raised up. My mom had no real difficult figuring this out after the first couple of tries. Heck, my spouse could reach out and steer it in from the front of the ECV with no real difficulty. Just take as much time as you need and don't worry about it. If you do some practice backing up (maybe go for a ride on the walking path next to the lake at Pop Century) I'm sure you will do just fine.

The newer buses are even easier, as they "kneel" down, flip down a ramp and you drive right up and into the bus. Lots more space to manuver and very, very easy.

The important part is to remember that you are using the ECV so that you can enjoy WDW to the fullest without being in pain or exhausted. Most people will be just fine (we always remember the ones that aren't and I have to remind myself that the majority of people pay no attention at all to me and my wheelchair)(smile) and the rest are very, very nice about helping where they can.

Hope you have a great trip! We will be at Pop Century in just a little over 12 days!

Thanks Figaro!

I was starting to get really anxious about the whole ECV thing. I think part of it stems from not wanting to abuse the system. There will be times when I want to walk and it just didn't seem right to use an ECV. The bus issue makes me uncomfortable because but I need to get off my pride and stop looking for excuses for not using one.

Knowing that I will easily be able to get to and from the park blasts my last excuse out of the water.

Peace,
Mouskateacher:Pinkbounc princess: :bounce:

If you find yourself getting frustrated at parking the ECV on the bus, but can get up the steps yourself, have another member of your party disengage the drive and push it onto the lift and just push it into position.

In April when we were traveling with two ECVs, that was the easiest and quickest way to get them loaded.

Carol

If you find yourself getting frustrated at parking the ECV on the bus, but can get up the steps yourself, have another member of your party disengage the drive and push it onto the lift and just push it into position.
Just make sure to re-engage it once it is on the lift (if it is in free rolling mode, it can roll). You'll need to disengage it to park it on the bus. Be sure to re-engage it again once it's in place so it can't move when the bus is in motion.

Originally posted by SueM in MN
Just make sure to re-engage it once it is on the lift (if it is in free rolling mode, it can roll). You'll need to disengage it to park it on the bus. Be sure to re-engage it again once it's in place so it can't move when the bus is in motion.

I just returned from a two-week trip to WDW where one of my adventures involved my little darling running out of juice (my fault) and having to be push-loaded onto a Dis bus that was called to my rescue. I was a little worried about loading and unloading but if you remember to set the speed dial (bunny/turtle) about midway and practice backing up in tight spaces a few times before loading up, you'll do fine.

http://www.primateprojections.com/travel/magicaldisney/SECashLynda.jpg

Thanks for all the tips. None of these things would have ever occured to me.

Carol: the tip about doing the steps and having my friend push the ECV sounds like a plan. For that fact... I could push it on and into place. My main issue is the distance walking and standing.

A million thanks everybody! :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Hi :wave:

I used an ECV first time last September, and really, don't worry about it, you will be absolutely fine I'm sure. I was really stressed out about using one but found I was fine once I got used to it. I did struggle a bit sometimes on the buses, but just took my time and eventually got parked up, the drivers are really helpful.

I'm sure you will have a great trip, try not to worry about the ECV and just enjoy yourself! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter