• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ECV help please!

Tigger714

Mouseketeer
We will be taking my mother and father to DW with us in August. My Dad suffers from a very sever form of Rheumatitis. He normally can walk for about 30 minutes, more than that and he has trouble walking the rest of the day. We will be gone for ten days so I am very concerned about making the whole trip pleasant for him, one day with too much and he will be out for the rest of the trip. We have been discussing the use of an ECV during our trip buy he is very reluctant. This has been hard for him to deal with. I have read on several threads that sometimes the ECV rentals run out and I want to make sure that if in the middle of the day he decides he needs one, he can get one. What would be the best way to handle this? I have thought about renting one from a third party but I'm not sure who to use. Any opinions & suggestions, experiences, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Check out the FAQ on the disabilities page. As for us we always use http://www.scootarama.com/ for my Dad, we have always liked their service and Dad has always been very happy to have a scooter. I am sure your Dad too will be happy he has one too because WDW has so much ground to cover.
I always bring my own ECV because it is too much for me to walk.
And on the up side, He will have a basket on the front to carry everyone's water!!!! (a little scooter humor):rotfl2:
Deb

Please ask the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

Just got back 6/12 and we rented thru Walker Mobility for my mother. It was $30 per day and they delivered to your resort and picked up so scooter was there waiting when we checked in. If you're renting at the parks, get there early or they may run out.

BELIEVE ME, there are tons and tons of scooters these days. I know some people use them as a convience but many users have non-apparent disabilities. Your Dad shouldn't care what others think anyway. With temps in the high 90s and = % humidity tell him he must have the scooter!

He won't regret and you won't regret that he does hire an ECV. We have used Randy's mobility and will be again next month. Your mother may like to have a turn now and again if she feels confident enough.

From personal experience 2 weeks ago, it can become harder in the afternoon to rent an ECV. We hopped from EPCOT to MGM on Sunday and I was on a wait list for less than 2 hours. On a Thursday, we hopped from MGM to MK and I was on a wait list for about 5 hours. They will give you a complimentary wheelchair for that period of time, but the cast member at MK said most of their ECV's are gone by 10:30am. If you leave the park and are returning the same day, they will *save* your ECV for you as long as you give them a firm return time. I wish we had rented off site just to be sure.

Hope this helps.

See the FAQ on the main page of this forum. Several vendors with whom multiple posters have had good experiences, are listed there with their websites.

See the FAQ on the main page of this forum. Several vendors with whom multiple posters have had good experiences, are listed there with their websites.

Believe me, I would love to but I can't get anyone to explain to me why I can't get a FAQ page instead of a search engine.

If you can help with that, I would be so grateful.

Thanks!

susan

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. The top item is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information, including where people rent ECVs.

go to the main page of this forum. The second post has a lock, an arrow in a green circle, sticky: DISABILITIES FAQs. Click on that post and it will take you to the thread everyone is talking about!

Thank you thank you thank you! I got it, I bookmarked it, I'm going to sleep now (it's nearly midnight here) and I'm going to look at it closely in the next couple of days!!!

susan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter