ECV question

Sazuburns

Mouseketeer
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have a question about ECVs. We are considering hiring one off-site for dh, but want to know what happens about charging it. How often (on average) do they need charging, and can we do it in the hotel? We are staying in Pop Century, in a ground floor room but not necessarily a disabled access room.

Thanks

Hi,
Welcome to the DIS. The off-site ECVs come fully charged and ready for a full day's use. I've gone from 7:30 am to 11pm, three parks on one charge. The ECV comes with its own plug in charger. I usually plug it in after I come "home" for the day and charge overnight. There are many knowledgable ECV users on the DIS. I'm sure they will check in soon with their tips. I'm sorry but I have to run and warm up my car before work and it will take awhile as the temp w/wind chillis -35 degrees.

I don't know the size of thje POP rooms but I know other value and moderates have got the ECV easily in their rooms and plugged them in for charging.

The literature says that normally an EVC at weight capacity can travel about 25 miles on a charge. The normal daily use atWDW is rarely as high as 10.

It will fit in the room, even in the value rsorts, without much crowding. If you plug it in when you come back to the room at night it will definitely be at full chartge in the morning.

I have had a couple of times when I would leave it in the truink of the car overnight and get two days use out of one charge; of course I was aware of how much driving I had done the first day and what I expected to do the second.

I rented from Walker last time, and for approx. $15 total they rented a harness so that my DH could just take the batteries in from our van rather than the whole ECV. Don't know whether you are using your own vehicle or not, but this saved us time and energy in the long run.

Michelle

Originally posted by Cheshire Figment
The literature says that normally an EVC at weight capacity can travel about 25 miles on a charge. The normal daily use atWDW is rarely as high as 10.

I wouldn't believe the literature. That range would be for new batteries under optimum conditions. That said, you should easy get a full day's use out of a charge. If the worse comes to the worse, Disney are very good at getting you a recharge. Take your power cable & charger with you. When you stop for lunch, just ask to be seated near a power outlet. If you look carefully, you can sometimes spot power outlets hidden in the shrubbery!!

Even if you rent your ECV off-site, Disney will not see you stranded. Don't worry.

Andrew

Some of the chargers are bulky and would be difficult to take to the parks. I did have a more streamline charger this last time but... if you have a full charge at the beginning of your day you should do fine. You can conserve power but simply turning off your ECV when you won't be moving for a time, inside attractions, at meals, watching parades etc. I'll tell you again I have used my ECV from EE to Illuminations through three parks in one day and had no problem. Rent from a recommended vendor they know the rigors the ECV goes through. Charge every night and go for it!
Have a great trip.

Originally posted by Andrew Bichard
I wouldn't believe the literature. That range would be for new batteries under optimum conditions. That said, you should easy get a full day's use out of a charge. If the worse comes to the worse, Disney are very good at getting you a recharge. Take your power cable & charger with you. When you stop for lunch, just ask to be seated near a power outlet. If you look carefully, you can sometimes spot power outlets hidden in the shrubbery!!

Even if you rent your ECV off-site, Disney will not see you stranded. Don't worry.

Andrew

You're SO right, Andrew!
I left the Beach Club last Thursday, I think it was, with a DISfriend, who was on foot, and Cash, the Wonder Dog, who was also on foot, and headed for MGM but, just as we were going over the Swan/Dolphin bridge, the darn scooter developed a funny cough, cough and the indicator light began flashing. BOO HOO. Well, we carried on, being halfway between somewhere and nowhere and we managed, pushing and rolling down hills, to get the poor sick thing (thank you, American Airlines for damaging my scooter) to the outer perimeter of the MGM bus parking area where a Disney bus driver came running over to offer assistance...As instructed by the driver, THE ONE AND ONLY FAMOUS AND BESTEST DISFRIEND EVER, BRADY961, ran off to the Transportation Manager's office (I'm leaving out a little here) and he called up a special bus to rescue me, the ECV, Cash the Wonder Dog and my DISFRIEND, Brady, to take us all back to the Beach Club where CARE Medical offered to drop off another (long story) rental ECV, this time at my off-site condo, and pick up mine at the Beach Club (again, thank you, American Airlines) for repair. PIXIE DUST GALORE!!!
This little adventure far surpasses the excitement caused when a CM, probably a former American Airlines employee, pushed my baby ECV to meet me at the exit of a ride without releasing the brake and both my best DISFRIENDS EVER IN THE WORLD Brady and Taswira, removed the seat and flipped the ECV over to check out its under-wiring and (nothing to do with the brake) found the main power supplying wire had become loose from a cracked clip...(Have I thanked American Airlines enough?) and helped me fix it temporarily so we could get to our date with Cash, the Wonder Dog's favorite huge furry things at the Garden Grill....
Moral of the story? Do not fear breakdowns. I had them all. In all manner of places, and at the most inconvenient moments. Do not fear because someone will help! Strangers, Pixies dressed as bus drivers, everyone. (Even in the middle of a deserted and frigid parking lot at 10PM a stranger will appear and provide a push...long story) At WDW, everyone helps....and take your charger, regardless of bulk. Duct tape it to the seat post if you have to...Better to have it.....
AND......
REMEMBER TO CHARGE YOUR ECV EVERY NIGHT! If you have a breakdown the first question you will be asked is if it has a full charge. Be prepared to say yes...and MEAN IT! You get much more sympathy for a machine malfunction than for carelesness......Been there, done that......:smooth:

videogal1,
It sounds like you didn't run out of power. Would having your charger changed anything? You are correct in saying the most important thing is to make sure you have recharged the battery. I am so afraid to bring my power chair on a plane just for the resaons you mentioned , careless, cluless handlers at the airlines. Glad to hear you had so much Pixie dust, sorry you needed it!

I rented an ECV from Walker Mobility last weekend. There was a charge level indicator on the ECV and even after a full day's use at Epcot, it still was about 2/3 charged.

I charged it every night and never had a problem, but I bet I could have gone two days--just didn't want to take a chance!

I was using a car to get to and from the parks, and so I paid an extra $10 for a different type of battery charger that would allow me to only take the batteries into the room at night to charge them, leaving the other parts of the scooter in the trunk. If I'd been using the Disney busses, I wouldn't have done that, since I'd be driving the ecv into my room.

If you rent from Walker, I don't think you'll need to take the charger with you into the parks.

We stayed at Pop Century in a first floor accessible room (king bed, roll in shower). We had a rollaway bed for my daughter, and it would have been a tight squeeze for the ecv to be there, too, but it could have been done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter