ECV & Split resort visits

Roythe13th

Earning My Ears
Hello eveyone,
I'm heading to Orlando at the end of September. The pandemic has made me less mobile and I'm going to need to rent an ECV. I am around 400 pounds. I mainly need it for all the walking but generally okay with queues. I plan to spend 5 days at Disney staying at the Swan. I then plan to switch to a Universal area hotel and doing two nights at Halloween Horror Nights. People on these boards always recommend Gold Mobility and they tend to rent by the week. With my weight, I would need the maxima scooter which does not disassemble or transport. As anyone ever had an offsite ECV rental and used it at both Disney and Universal Resort? I was told that Mears may be able to transport me from the Swan to the Universal resort area hotel? I would be staying at a Universal hotel or one within walking distance so I could use the ECV instead of a bus to get to the park. Or if anyone has any other suggestions I am open to ideas to make this easier and/or more cost effective.

Hello eveyone,
I'm heading to Orlando at the end of September. The pandemic has made me less mobile and I'm going to need to rent an ECV. I am around 400 pounds. I mainly need it for all the walking but generally okay with queues. I plan to spend 5 days at Disney staying at the Swan. I then plan to switch to a Universal area hotel and doing two nights at Halloween Horror Nights. People on these boards always recommend Gold Mobility and they tend to rent by the week. With my weight, I would need the maxima scooter which does not disassemble or transport. As anyone ever had an offsite ECV rental and used it at both Disney and Universal Resort? I was told that Mears may be able to transport me from the Swan to the Universal resort area hotel? I would be staying at a Universal hotel or one within walking distance so I could use the ECV instead of a bus to get to the park. Or if anyone has any other suggestions I am open to ideas to make this easier and/or more cost effective.

Call Gold and ask them if they can transfer the scooter for you. The worst thing they can say is No.

Generally speaking, most rental ECVs can be broken down into several pieces that can then be stowed in the back of an SUV or possibly even the truck of a car. Some car services in Orlando have larger vehicles to accommodate larger groups; check on the Transportation board here on the DIS - I hear that Tony is a very popular choice in that category.

Mears does have accessible vehicles in their fleet; I would definitely check with them and find out how far in advance you need to reserve one and what that cost might be.

Hello eveyone,
My husband and I did this this past May. We actually stayed 1 week at a timeshare where Gd Mobility dropped off our Victory 10 scooters. We then used Mears to transfer to the Dolphin and then once again to Cabana Bay at Universal. (Maybe $35 plus tip) Gold picked up the scooters at Cabana Bay.
This was the most cost effective way to do it. Gold could pick up at the Swan and deliver to your Universal resort but it would be like 2 separate reservations. They can explain it better. They and Mears were both great to work with.
Just a suggestion. Cabana Bay is a nice resort but in my opinion not handicapped friendly. They have no bell service beyond holding your bags on check in or check out. If you are not with someone to drag your bags....I literally had to cry before they offered help. Also handicapped doors from lobby to pool area were not working. Nice people helped us out.
Good luck and enjoy!

One person in our party a few visits back needed the Maxima she was 435 LBS. She rented it for 7 days for Polynesian from Gold Mobility Scooters, and then we used Mears taxi scooter shuttle to move it over to Cabana Bay then we stayed 3 more days there. Gold Mobility dropped the scooter off to her in person at Polynesian, and then we left all the scooters at the bell desk at Cabana Bay as we departed for the airport. She had no issues.

Thank you all for the advice! I will contact Mears. That seems to be the easiest solution.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter