ECV Use

Figaro30

Proud to be an American
We are planning on a trip with my brother in law who can walk but has a hard time for long distances. We thought he should get a ECV for a least a few of the days he's in the park. How does this work for rides? For example, if we're waiting on line for Pirates of the Caribbean, does he get out of ECV, park it at the entrance, wait in the queue and when he disembarks on the ride go get his ECV back? Or does he wait in line with the ECV? Or does he get in another line with all of us? (there's 3 other adults and 1 child) How does this generally work?

Almost all the attractions have one line for everyone. So your party can stay together. When the ECV does need to go a special route due to steps or a narrow passage you usually can take your party with you. I have seen up to 6 people in one party. But I'm sure there are exceptions.
Due to the age of MK and Epcot they seem to have more special lines then the other parks. The ECV can be left outside with the strollers if your BIL can tolerate standing in line. I ride my ECV right up to the boarding area and leave it there. It may be moved but CMs or my DH have always gotten it for me right after the ride.
The shows have special areas for the ECVs. You usually stay in the ECV for these. They have seating for your party but it usually is limited.
I always take my key with me and never leave anything of importance in the ECV.
I like to have my ECV off the parks as well, to "walk" and explore other resorts so I rent from an offpark vendor.
There is a great deal of walking at WDW. So I would urge anyone with difficulty with walking to do themselves as well as the rest of their party a favor and get an ECV. Your trip will be better for it.
Have a great trip, let us know how it was!

Nanajo DVC 8/98

Offsite 5/78
Contemp 11/85
BWV 3/99
OKW 11/99
BWV 3/01
OKW 11/01

Nanajp gave you a very complete everview. For the few rides where an ecv can't go into the line, they have wheelchairs that can be used in the line if he can't stand in line to wait. Pirates is one ride where that happens because there is no way to get ecvs or non-folding wheelchairs from the entrance of the ride to the exit. In some rides, it is set up so people with ecvs or wheelchairs board at the exit (Haunted Mansion is an example). Their ecv or wheelchair will be waiting for them at the exit. MK and Epcot have more rides set up like that because they are older. The newer parks are set up for better access. È

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

If you rent the EVC from the parks or if you get one from a company for your stay, always stop at Guest Relations and pick up the booklet about visitors with disabilities/handicaps. A description of what entrance should be used will be given for every attraction.

All excellent answers.

I quite often would park my ECV and wait in line with the rest of my party. As we would come to an attraction to see if the line was very long, etc. once in a while I would hear "Mom, park it and hurry, we're going in."

I do wish I had stayed in the ECV at the Jungle Cruise. We quick got in line before I investigated the disabilities line. I didn't think the line was that long, but it wound around and around and around and my knees were killing me by the time we got to the boat. If I would have stayed in the ECV, I could have waited in it until the rest of my party got there.

Pat

There is a "GuideBook for Guests with Disabilities" available for each park. They are somewhat useful. They do provide information about where to find the entrance for people with disabilities, but most rides have been converted to "Mainstream access" now which means people in ecvs and wheelchairs wait in line with everyone else until you get to a point where there are stairs or something else that prevents access.
If you have any question about a ride, how long the line is, are there stairs, etc, ask the first CM that you see. That kind of information is not in the Guidebooks and is sometimes what you need to know.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter