ECVs on boats

Angel16

<b><font color=f95602>Member of the 'Jambo! WildBu
Are ECV/scooters allowed on the boats? DH will be renting a scooter due to heart problems. He would love to use the boats every once in a while, but does not want to get to the boat and be told he can not get on.

He looks healthy, but is unable to walk any distance. He has been reading the boards and is thinking of doing without an ECV/scooter due to some of the comments and attitudes that people will think he is abusing or faking. He is also concerned about people giving him looks and making comments to him regarding his disability not being visual. I don't know what all he has read on the DIS, but he is really seriously considering limiting his walking to just a couple of hours a day and going back to the room. Not exacting a pleasant trip idea for me. We are celebrating our anniversary and the trip is just DH and myself. Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

You will notice that the post you made is not where you left it - that's because I had not meant to leave the disABILITIES FAQs thread unlocked.
This way, people can respond to you easier too.

Anyway, ECVs can go on the boats.
The boats that go between the Ecpot resorts, Epcot and MGM are always accessible for ecvs. The ones in WS in Epcot are also accessible.
There are boats at OKW and PO that go to DD that are accessible.
The large boats that go between the TTC and MK are accessible, but the large boats that go between MK and WL are sometimes not accessible at times because of "changing water levels." We had a fairly light DD in her lightweight wheelchair, so we were able to lift her in the boat when we ran into that problem. We did ask at the desk what would happen if we couldn't get her on and the CMs there told us we could take the bus to the TTC or call and get Transportation to send a smaller wheelchair accessible bus for us.

They do use portable ramps, but sometimes the water level is too high or too low for the ramp to bridge the gap between the boat and the dock. The boat drivers also have some "tricks' for dealing with water levels. Like if they need the boat to be lower in the water to get it more level with the dock, they may ask all the guests to board before the wheelchair/ecv user so that their weight will lower the boat. Or they might ask all the guests to go to one side of the boat to make one side higher or lower.

We were just there in late July, and saw quite a few ECV users on the boats. Twice the captain used the "trick" of having all the rest of us step to the other side of the boat so the ECV could offload (didn't mention why, so no embarassment!).

I'm planning on doing a post about my ECV experience, but would just say, it's best to toughen up, slap on a grin, and use it, rather than be in constant pain or not go at all. Yes, people can be ugly, but you just have to remind yourself of all the nice ones.

Terri

I was one week out of a leg brace for a broken ankle during our last trip. Unless someone was closely inspecting my ankles for swelling, they would not have been able to "see" any disability. My doctor insisted that I use an ECV on my trip, but I was able to walk short distances (off the ECV to board a ride, step into the restroom, walk through crowded shops, etc.) I never encountered any rudeness. No one questioned my need for the ECV. CM were helpful & courteous. Only problem I experienced were the typical "wandering" pedestrians who would step out in front of you or come to a dead stop unexpectedly. You encounter that whether you are walking or riding! Encourage your husband to enjoy his day & not worry about anyone else's unasked & unjustified opinion.

I have been using an ECV at WDW since 2000. I don't recall ever having problems getting the ECV (first two years a Disney ECV, after that an off site ECV). I've been on the boats in the World Showcase area, from EPCOT's International Gateway to the resorts & the Studios, between OKW & DTD, etc.

Overall I have found boat drivers, bus drivers, etc. to be very helpful. For the most part they have been patient & kind.

As for your husband ... using an ECV will make his trip & your trip much better overall. He should not worry about what others think. Every once in awhile I'll make a comment to a guest about my knees don't work as well as their knees do. Usually it is to a child who is looking. I encourage your husand to reconsider using an ECV & to go for it!

Sue Thank you for moving my question. I really appreciate all your suggestions and support. I think I will ask my huband read this thread. Perhaps the support from you all will help him feel more confident of using the ECV.

Thank you all so very much. :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter