**Edit: Sales to resume on 1/17** Disneyland to Resume Selling Select Magic Key Pass Today

which leads to a terrible guest experience.
I honestly don’t think Disney equates crowded parks to a “terrible guest experience.” I think the last thing they want is an uncrowded park. They invest so much on bringing new shows and entertainment. A crowd bursting at the seams only tells them that people love what they continue to produce, and they are willing to come to experience it without APs.

I honestly don’t think Disney equates crowded parks to a “terrible guest experience.” I think the last thing they want is an uncrowded park. They invest so much on bringing new shows and entertainment. A crowd bursting at the seams only tells them that people love what they continue to produce, and they are willing to come to experience it without APs.
Well in fairness DL was closed for a very long time and there was a lot less limited options for people for a while.

The poor guest experience that people often talk about is more of a cumulation of everything not just how many people are in the parks. If you're having ride break downs in a crowded park there's just even more crowds being funneled to smaller and smaller group of attractions to pick from, just as an example. Genie+ running out quickly also makes for a portion of how someone feels their experience was. It's just all of it working together (or well..not working together)

IMO, too many people want a finite resource. The only way to offset demand is to raise prices. Current buying frenzy shows that APs are still way under priced. People’s anger toward Disney is misguided. Disney’s crime is creating too good a product that too many people want.
Let's differentiate here. Addressing the value of the passes and price level is a completely different issue than how Disney managed the sale and how they interfaced with their passholders. Other vendors can have great products and still treat their customers in more positive manner.

Last edited:
The "guest experience" Chapek refers to is the data point at which a less crowded park increases the spend rate per guest.

Last edited:
IMO, too many people want a finite resource. The only way to offset demand is to raise prices. Current buying frenzy shows that APs are still way under priced. People’s anger toward Disney is misguided. Disney’s crime is creating too good a product that too many people want.
Maybe a part is they are under priced, but also, there's a decline in value of product. If locals (actual locals within Orange County, Riverside, LA) truly wanted to go to the parks regularly, they would buy tickets. The ticket price doesn't justify the product for most locals, especially since we are used to discounts. The Magic Key is a discount, that allows justification to go regularly (and frequently). I believe if they raised the price, it would still be high demand (in turn the ticket prices may increase), because the base tickets aren't worth it with the quality of experience being diminished with Genie+, mobile orders, ride breakdowns, reservation availability, decline in customer service. They're trying to turn a local's park into a tourist experience that isn't valued at the price point.
Last discounted locals ticket $300 for three days 1 park per day was in September 2022.
Imagine Key $449 currently, even if they raised the Imagine Key price to $600, it's still a better value than 2, 3 day tickets for $600.
Now, if they lowered the locals ticket price of a 3 day ticket, raised the Imagine Key, made it so you can only upgrade to an Inspire Pass with a discounted ticket, I could see a balance.

Bit shocked they weren't always given a waiver on buying APs even when they were not onsale.
Yes, in fact this could have been a significant perk for direct buyers (which they've struggled to find in all their efforts to steer people from resales to direct purchase).

They did it. Southern Ca Resident Offer lowered to offset the non-availability of Magic Keys.
3 day one park per day lowered to $219.
It's a start. However, 2 tickets equal the lowest pass almost.
They could have thrown in a discount on parking to sweeten the deal lol
*only valid on weekdays *eye roll*

They did it. Southern Ca Resident Offer lowered to offset the non-availability of Magic Keys.
3 day one park per day lowered to $219.
It's a start. However, 2 tickets equal the lowest pass almost.
They could have thrown in a discount on parking to sweeten the deal lol
*only valid on weekdays *eye roll*
This is actually more expensive than the weekday only offer for this same time period last time. It was $67/day last year, it’s $73/fay this year. I don’t think they’re doing it to offset the non-availability of Keys. These SoCal winter/spring offerings were around (with less restrictions) pre-COViD.

This is actually more expensive than the weekday only offer for this same time period last time. It was $67/day last year, it’s $73/fay this year. I don’t think they’re doing it to offset the non-availability of Keys. These SoCal winter/spring offerings were around (with less restrictions) pre-COViD.
oh no :(
Is it? Ticket or key your still have to reserve a date.

oh no :(

Is it? Ticket or key your still have to reserve a date.

Yes it is good. Heavily discounted tickets should never be valid on weekends. There is a reason why the cheapest magic key is not valid on weekends, and the next 2 tiers up have many Saturdays blocked out as well.

The prior SoCal tickets allowed weekend option upgrade. And prepandemic there was no weekend restriction during the Winter season.

It is interesting to see how many would take these. We are. We had let our passes lapse as we're going to WDW in Feb and anticipated a SoCal offer for the winter. This will suit us nicely and force us for weekday which is fine as DS aged out of school district anyways and an excuse to take him up on wednesdays :)

So bought the tickets last night and forced three days to choose and calendar only open to April right now (though tickets good to memorial weekend).

Ended up choosing: some big days just in case we want to participate in the fun: MLK monday; Jan 27 friday opening of 100th and some random march wednesday ---

Anyone planning that Jan 27th date? :D

I'll probably buy in January to go March, April, May for the Food/Wine Festival, Toon Town Reopening and to see Magic Happens.
I used to aim for park hoppers but it's honestly tiring to pack two parks in a day. I still don't like the restriction of being in one park for the day. Especially with ride breakdowns and crowd levels.
I just checked AAA and the offer is a bit cheaper. Save about $5 per ticket

My calendar shows available reservations until the end of March, April is not available.
Tickets are valid Jan 9 -May 25th 2023

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter