• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Effectively trading DVC into RCI

Nahanni

Mouseketeer
I have read many posts suggesting trading DVC points into RCI is a poor use of points, however, I don't believe its always true and wonder what types of exchanges others have made.

For example, periodically checking the DVC/RCI portal for Jul/Aug 2013, I have seen the following:
Wyndham Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach 3 nts in a 2BR for 96 DVC points
Grand Pacific Resorts, SoCal 1 week in 2BR for 160 DVC points

If I can get these types of exchanges, I can't see it being worth the effort and risk of renting out my DVC points then renting another TS from an unknown party.

Thanks in advance for anyone sharing their experiences.

While I've never traded DVC out through RCI, I've used other timeshare sources to stay at many of the properties on DVC's approved exchange list. Brief comments are posted on the thread, Memorable trips outside Disney, of March 2011.

I own a GPR property in SoCal and am presently staying on RCI exchanges booked off that week! My 1BR summer week from GPR's Grand Pacific Palisades, in Carlsbad, CA, snagged two weeks in South Africa. Our first week is in a lovely chalet (stand alone house with no close neighbors) situated in a high, hilly area off the Drakensberg mountain range. The resort property is a sanctuary with lots of bird life, natural hot spring pools, river, waterfalls, and plenty of beauty! We've explored the Panorama Route, Sudwala Caves and surrounding sites. On Friday we move to our next RCI exchange at the Paul Kruger gate of Kruger National Park. Looking forward to lots of photo ops of the larger animals. (Many of this week's shots are macro work of lizards, butterflies, flowers, caterpillars, etc.)

RCI exchanges are lots of fun!

I was just browsing, trying to figure out a way to rent some cheapo points for a 3 night add on to my vacation in July, and saw this thread, and I did NOT realize you can convert RCI to DVC and DVC to RCI.... I do not own an RCI Timeshare but my inlaws do and they have a good amount of points. I stayed at the Wynham Ocean Blvd last Summer for 7 days with them, so it was coincidence that I saw that hotel on this post! We loved it. I asked them if we could "please" do Bonnet creek instead this year, and they booked Silver Lake Silver Points instead which is fine.... Anyway, I am completely off topic here, but I am looking to stay in the Disney area, on property for three nights AFTER our RCI stay. Money will be tight after a week of gluttony, $1400 dollars in Park passes, etc. but if we get 7 day park passes, it doesn't cost too much more than the 4 day!!! So why not stay in the Disney area and use up the tickets after our extended family leaves the area? Anyway, trying to figure out if I should attempt to grab 56 points for those three nights and scoop up a villa somewhere on property, or just rent at a value resort and just go where the wind takes us.... I am not a huge planner, and my inlaws hate to plan even more than me, so I am on my own here, with a limited budget.

I guess I just wanted to say Ocean Blvd in Myrtle beach was REALLY fun! The pools stay ice cold, even on the hottest days in August.

I was just browsing, trying to figure out a way to rent some cheapo points for a 3 night add on to my vacation in July, and saw this thread, and I did NOT realize you can convert RCI to DVC and DVC to RCI.... I do not own an RCI Timeshare but my inlaws do and they have a good amount of points. I stayed at the Wynham Ocean Blvd last Summer for 7 days with them, so it was coincidence that I saw that hotel on this post! We loved it. I asked them if we could "please" do Bonnet creek instead this year, and they booked Silver Lake Silver Points instead which is fine.... Anyway, I am completely off topic here, but I am looking to stay in the Disney area, on property for three nights AFTER our RCI stay. Money will be tight after a week of gluttony, $1400 dollars in Park passes, etc. but if we get 7 day park passes, it doesn't cost too much more than the 4 day!!! So why not stay in the Disney area and use up the tickets after our extended family leaves the area? Anyway, trying to figure out if I should attempt to grab 56 points for those three nights and scoop up a villa somewhere on property, or just rent at a value resort and just go where the wind takes us.... I am not a huge planner, and my inlaws hate to plan even more than me, so I am on my own here, with a limited budget.

I guess I just wanted to say Ocean Blvd in Myrtle beach was REALLY fun! The pools stay ice cold, even on the hottest days in August.
I'm presuming a regular hotel room or studio will be sufficient and that you will be 4 people or less for the 3 nights. You won't be able to get an exchange for just the 3 nights but you might keep your eye on RCI for a cash rental for 3 or 4 nights. Your cheapest option will likely be renting points on short notice for Disney on property. You could also use priceline or get a week exchange and only use part of it or a shorter exchange but you'll likely have to pay the housekeeping fee if you do a shorter exchange. Lots of choices, mostly personal preference.

I have read many posts suggesting trading DVC points into RCI is a poor use of points, however, I don't believe its always true and wonder what types of exchanges others have made.

For example, periodically checking the DVC/RCI portal for Jul/Aug 2013, I have seen the following:
Wyndham Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach 3 nts in a 2BR for 96 DVC points
Grand Pacific Resorts, SoCal 1 week in 2BR for 160 DVC points

If I can get these types of exchanges, I can't see it being worth the effort and risk of renting out my DVC points then renting another TS from an unknown party.

Thanks in advance for anyone sharing their experiences.
I didn't respond originally when this thread came through but since I am now anyway, here goes. 2 BR exchanges are 270 for HIGH season, 1 BR are 160 points and that assumes they are available for what/when you want. For less than 7 nights, assume you'll pay an additional housekeeping fee in addition to the points and exchange fee. Here's the way I look at it. Very few things are a reasonable and fair exchange but a few are and they are unlikely to be available. If you own then there's no harm in trying but buying for this purpose would be an extremely poor choice.

thanks for this info. I never knew you could do this with RCI. There are a few RCI properties I like in Florida that I would be interested in trading into if I have extra points.

thanks for this info. I never knew you could do this with RCI. There are a few RCI properties I like in Florida that I would be interested in trading into if I have extra points.
If you're serious about it, you're likely looking at high end options along the lines of Naples, Captiva/Sanibel, PCB or the Keys. You really need to request a full year or more out, 2 is best, for these type of options and even then be prepared for failure.

If you're serious about it, you're likely looking at high end options along the lines of Naples, Captiva/Sanibel, PCB or the Keys. You really need to request a full year or more out, 2 is best, for these type of options and even then be prepared for failure.

Dean is correct. Exchanges work best if you (a) make sure you set your sites on numerous (at least 6 IMHO) properties that are true equivalents to DVC (yes, they do exist), then (b) come up with a list of at least 7-8 date periods that would work for any of them, going out a full two years into the future. We have done this several times and have always gotten a match. Some came within months, others over a year and a half into things.

Dean is correct. Exchanges work best if you (a) make sure you set your sites on numerous (at least 6 IMHO) properties that are true equivalents to DVC (yes, they do exist), then (b) come up with a list of at least 7-8 date periods that would work for any of them, going out a full two years into the future. We have done this several times and have always gotten a match. Some came within months, others over a year and a half into things.
I'd add that to be high demand it has to both be a high quality resort AND a high demand time. Great resorts off season are a dime a dozen but so so resorts are difficult to get during high demand times. Demand for the area trumps resort quality. Contrary to some's belief, not all resorts on the list are comparable in quality. On the reverse, there are items that are more in demand than is DVC even during peak times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter