Effexor advice

happy Dis planner

Earning My Ears
Anyone take it? Any issues coming back off it after a year or so.
Im depressed and the doc is trying Effexor.
I know to talk to the med professionals about this. I also know there are many different ones too. To be honest the antidepressants scare the bejeebers out of me.
Any advice out there? Im also in talk therapy. I know, I sound like a mess.
Thanks!!

Just don't stop taking it cold turkey. Effexor is one you should slowly stop taking because the side effects of just stopping can be rather intense.

I've never taken it personally but know many people who have.

It is going to take 14-21 days before you feel any anti-depressant effect. You may need a month or 2 before you figure out the optimal dosage. You will have to be patient.

You may notice side effects in the beginning, or you may not, not everyone does. Some of the side effects, such as drowsiness, you may have to power through until your body adjusts.

Mostly, be patient. Again, you need to give it, at the very least, 14 days until you get a good level in your system, more likely 21 days to a month.

No advice. Just wanted to say I'm sorry you're struggling right now and hopefully the Effexor will help. I do know that it is hit or miss with these meds. You may have to try a couple before you find one that works.

And you don't sound like a mess. Many, many people struggle with depression and/or anxiety. :hug:

I take it for anxiety. I’ve been on it since May; it’s changed my life for the better. I don’t know how it is for depression, but I have only had one panic attack since taking it and my anxiety finally feels manageable. I too was really scared after reading horror stories of withdrawal. My doc has told me that we’ll slowly taper off when I no longer need it, and that she’s had plenty of patients do so without terrible symptoms. But for now I’m just so happy to have found something that works.

No advice. Just wanted to say I'm sorry you're struggling right now and hopefully the Effexor will help. I do know that it is hit or miss with these meds. You may have to try a couple before you find one that works.

And you don't sound like a mess. Many, many people struggle with depression and/or anxiety. :hug:
Great that you are working with a therapist. Perhaps you can additionally find an exercise program that you love and are happy doing at least 5 times per week, even if it is a walking regiment. Exercise is great for overall good health and is great for mental health, releases endorphins naturally. Good luck!:goodvibes:cool1:

So sorry to hear you’re struggling :(

I was on Effexor for 6 years and recently went off of it. I do think it helped for the most part, but it did make me forgetful. Going off of it was REALLY difficult for me, the withdrawal was killer. But once I got through the first 3 weeks, it was okay.

If I have to go back on anti-depressants again, I’m not sure I would choose Effexor. Talk it through with your doctor to work out the best strategy for you. Best of luck!

Anyone take it? Any issues coming back off it after a year or so.
Im depressed and the doc is trying Effexor.
I know to talk to the med professionals about this. I also know there are many different ones too. To be honest the antidepressants scare the bejeebers out of me.
Any advice out there? Im also in talk therapy. I know, I sound like a mess.
Thanks!!

You’re not a mess. Plus, you’re getting help and that’s the most important step.

Effexor is one of the hardest of the antidepressants to stop taking. It has a very short half life and the capsule(with tiny pills inside) makes slow weaning difficult. DO NOT COLD TURKEY EFFEXOR!! My DH was on it for years and we had to stop it when he was unable to swallow at the end of his life and he went psychotic. Sadly I had to force it down his throat to stop the psychosis(which took 36 hours) until he passed away. It's not a good choice if you are concerned about stopping it. It's not easy and for some impossible to stop.

Last edited:
I've taken it for 18 years. First, I was having a major depressive episode, and thankfully the Effexor worked at about 350 mg. Then, because I have depression in the family (several female relatives) they decided I should be on a "maintenance" dose permanently, so after a few years, I was able to wean myself down to 37.5 mg/day. Doctor said that dose was a short step from nothing, but I feel better, so that's what I stick with. Never had any side effects, except when I was on the 350mg and would forget for 2-3 days, then the depression would start up again (my own fault there).

Just read the article linked above. No weight loss when I started it (I wish!). Actually I gained about 10-15 pounds, but I think that was because I felt so much better-I'd lost my appetite as one of the side effects of the depression and it felt so good to be hungry again! I do have high blood pressure, but my doctor said that at 37.5 mg a day especially, she's sure it's not from the Effexor. And I take it once a day, but what I take is called Effexor XR, extended release.

Last edited:
I went from 50 mg, to 75, to 150, to 300, back to my current dose of 150 mg for about the last 18 months. The higher dosage have me extremely vivid dreams. I haven't tried getting off it, but I'm already aware of the 'no cold turkey' advice. It seems to be working.

I took it for 6+ years. When I started I noticed movement on the edge of my vision which made me a little nauseous; that returned when I was weaned off them. I was talking it over with a friend this morning - the time I was on the drug was the most creative of my entire life - I was fearless, I didn't care what other people thought (a source of MY anxiety) - I wrote, I did crafts, I took a couple of jobs I never would have considered. The little voice in my head that I called "jiminy Cricket" stopped criticizing me - Jiminy had my mother's voice! Anyway, I chose to go off it when I retired which took away many stressors, also I felt that I had never really grieved for my father who died while I was on the drug. My one piece of advice, is be careful to always travel with it or have an emergency prescription; my son-in-law forgot his and we had to overnight the pills to him. Effexor did not help his depression and they added a second drug - I really think he needs talk therapy, too. Anyway, I have been in therapy 3 times to talk through issues and on Effexor once. I now use mindfulness to control my panic attacks and anxiety (my brain is still addicted to adrenaline) but Trump anxiety is sending me to acupressure treatments next week.

I took it for 6+ years. When I started I noticed movement on the edge of my vision which made me a little nauseous; that returned when I was weaned off them. I was talking it over with a friend this morning - the time I was on the drug was the most creative of my entire life - I was fearless, I didn't care what other people thought (a source of MY anxiety) - I wrote, I did crafts, I took a couple of jobs I never would have considered. The little voice in my head that I called "jiminy Cricket" stopped criticizing me - Jiminy had my mother's voice! Anyway, I chose to go off it when I retired which took away many stressors, also I felt that I had never really grieved for my father who died while I was on the drug. My one piece of advice, is be careful to always travel with it or have an emergency prescription; my son-in-law forgot his and we had to overnight the pills to him. Effexor did not help his depression and they added a second drug - I really think he needs talk therapy, too. Anyway, I have been in therapy 3 times to talk through issues and on Effexor once. I now use mindfulness to control my panic attacks and anxiety (my brain is still addicted to adrenaline) but Trump anxiety is sending me to acupressure treatments next week.

Could you share any mindfulness techniques that help with the panic attacks? I’m trying to avoid going to a higher dose of Effexor (still at 37.5)... and it’s been largely controlled but my attack a few days ago was awful.

Took it a while back for a number of weeks, up to and including the maximum dose. Made no difference. Mind you, I haven't reacted to most medications and have had to fall back on hard MAOIs. YMMV. I will add that Venlafaxine (Effexor) plus Mirtazapine (Remeron) are, when combined, are known as "Californian Rocket Fuel" and Effexor on it's own is regarded as a very hardcore antidepressant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter