Eggs-plaining the Egg-stravaganza -- The 2016 Hunt Is Over!!!

We will be there this weekend for our last trip before our APs expire, and we are trying to hold off on a visit again until summer 2017, so I'm both excited and sad for this trip. I want to do this egg hunt with my girls, so we will do two maps so they can each get a prize. I was thinking a hunt in each park, but it sounds like the DCA one is just a tad too hard for a 6 and 4 year old. And since this is our last visit and we will want to get in a lot of things, I don't want to spend tons of time- I was thinking as we go around to rides, we can do the clues.

Any thoughts on if I should just do two DL maps and skip DCA because of the difficulty?

Anyway, I won't go into my experience because it seems like everything has already been covered, but I did all 3 hunts in one day.

Happy to hear that you got to do 3 hunts in one day! Nice that you got to visit DL again since you missed the holiday time.

It's hard to say too much without giving away too much info (spoilers), but I will say this much -- because I can see that some egg hiding spots are going to be extra frustrating:

I kind of mentioned this on page 1 of the thread, when referencing the general way the Egg-stravaganza works, but it bears repeating for this year's hunts -- whichever hunt you are doing, wherever you are, remember to look up (sometimes way, way up), look down (like in planters, shrubs and other foliage), look at places like balconies, shelves, window displays, etc.

And... look past the strollers. Strollers are the enemy in a couple of the hiding spots this year. One egg was almost completely obscured by the strollers blocking it (and a CM told me they were not supposed to be parked there, or else an egg would not have been hidden there in the first place) and I climbed over and around one of the strollers to get pictures.

Also, every year it seems there is at least one clue that is misleading -- it is intended to lead you to one spot, when the egg is really in a different spot, or sort of 'adjacent' to the spot where you think it should be. This year there are probably a few clues like that between all 36 eggs spread across the 3 hunts, BUT... there is one clue that was not intended to be misleading when it was planned out. When the maps were put together, one specific egg was supposed to go in one specific spot. However, for certain reasons, the egg had to be moved and could not go exactly where it was supposed to go. It is is nearby, but not in the originally planned location. That egg is going to throw people off unless they happen to see other people gathered around it, which will be a dead giveaway. Some people saw me taking a photo of it, and that's how they knew it was there. I did not find it right away either, because I didn't realize it had been moved. I later found that out.

:daisy::daisy::daisy:

Well, we leave tomorrow (Friday) afternoon for a day and a half (Saturday and part of Sunday) trip... just me and my 9 year old... so I think we will probably just concentrate on the hunt in DL since we never got a chance to try it last year and I am not sure how much patience he will have for anything more than that.

Thanks as always for the details, Sherry!!

You're welcome. Have fun!

Thanks for all of this. I want to hunt eggs, but don't want the spoilers, so I'm avoiding most of the posts. lol I might go this weekend if Kelly (my daughter) wants to do it. Which route was your favorite? DCA?

Mary Jo -- I would say that DCA was my favorite because it was more challenging. Don't get me wrong -- it was frustrating when I couldn't find a couple of eggs and had to finally ask Cast Members, but I appreciated the challenge because most of the eggs in these hunts have typically been easy to spot (even without maps) in the past. DCA was still easy in some places, but more challenging than the DL hunt. In the past it was the other way around -- DCA was super easy and DL was a bit more challenging.

I appreciate that there is a hunt in DTD, but the eggs were easy to find.

So I would say that if you want a slightly more difficult hunt, do the DCA hunt. Otherwise, DL and DTD are easy but still quite fun.

Are the eggs for DTD just there and Disneyland Hotel, or at all the hotels?

Not all of the hotels (sadly). Only one hotel.

We will be there this weekend for our last trip before our APs expire, and we are trying to hold off on a visit again until summer 2017, so I'm both excited and sad for this trip. I want to do this egg hunt with my girls, so we will do two maps so they can each get a prize. I was thinking a hunt in each park, but it sounds like the DCA one is just a tad too hard for a 6 and 4 year old. And since this is our last visit and we will want to get in a lot of things, I don't want to spend tons of time- I was thinking as we go around to rides, we can do the clues.

Any thoughts on if I should just do two DL maps and skip DCA because of the difficulty?

Well, to be honest, when I was chatting with some fellow egg hunters in DCA (a family of 3), the dad said that he thought the hunt in DCA was too difficult for little ones. He said there was no way some young kids would be able to spot the eggs in DCA. I saw a lot of kids spotting eggs very easily and they were so happy about it, but there are just a few eggs that would be more difficult. The DL hunt and the DTD hunt are each very easy.

Last edited:

My niece agreed to go to DTD during Easter weekend! We have reservations for Surf's Up, then we will do the DTD egg hunt, then the three little ones will do Build-a-Bear. There will be about 10 of us traipsing around, it should be a blast! I'm so excited!!!! (I REALLY hope there are maps and prize eggs left on the 26th!)

This is amazing! I never knew that this existed. Learn something new every trip!

During the year of Limited Time Magic (2013), there was an egg hunt in California Adventure. I don't think it had an actual name at that point, though I could be wrong. In 2014 the egg hunt returned to California Adventure, and then it also branched out into Disneyland, and the whole thing was called the Egg-stravaganza. It returned in 2015 in both parks, but this is the first year that the Egg-stravaganza is expanding into Downtown Disney as well as continuing on in each park. So it is a fairly new event in general.

Also, in 2014 and 2015 the Egg-stravaganza lasted for 10 days. This year it is taking place over 26 days. It always ends after Easter is over.

True to form, my child decided last night he didn't want to hunt eggs after all. *sigh* wish I could come back before the end of the event (sans children!) but I don't see that happening.

Well, I bought maps for all three hunts on Friday, but only ended up doing the DTD and DL ones. I thought both of those were fairly easy. I'm glad that I asked for all the prize eggs when I bought the maps. I'm sad though that I lost the sticker sheet for my DL hunt! I must have dropped it when I took the map out. I went back to see if they could give me another sticker sheet, but they would not! So, be careful and don't lose those stickers! At least I took pictures of all the eggs I found, that was fun and a good memory to have :)

Here are the prize eggs that I picked, Mickey, Minnie and Cheshire Cat:

image.jpg

@Sherry E still no strawberry shortcake :(

True to form, my child decided last night he didn't want to hunt eggs after all. *sigh* wish I could come back before the end of the event (sans children!) but I don't see that happening.

Oh no! Well, there's always next year -- and since next year Easter is in mid-April, I would imagine that the Egg-stravaganza will begin a couple of weeks later than it did this year.

We did the Disneyland map last night and found it was much easier than last year!

I found the Disneyland hunt to be very easy this year. Even the one egg that someone warned me about as being tough to find in DL was not hard to find for me (though I saw other people struggling with trying to find it). I saw it right away. I suppose that with each passing year, as new hiding places are utilized, sometimes the hunts will seem more challenging than usual, and sometimes they will seem much easier than usual. The key is to not repeat the hiding places every year (even though some of them have been repeated in the past), and to make use of the vast landscape and seemingly endless array of nooks, crannies and corners that DLR offers.

Well, I bought maps for all three hunts on Friday, but only ended up doing the DTD and DL ones. I thought both of those were fairly easy. I'm glad that I asked for all the prize eggs when I bought the maps. I'm sad though that I lost the sticker sheet for my DL hunt! I must have dropped it when I took the map out. I went back to see if they could give me another sticker sheet, but they would not! So, be careful and don't lose those stickers! At least I took pictures of all the eggs I found, that was fun and a good memory to have :)

Here are the prize eggs that I picked, Mickey, Minnie and Cheshire Cat:

View attachment 155250

@Sherry E still no strawberry shortcake :(

I love your nicely composed photo of the prize eggs with the Castle in the background! Very cute.

What you described about losing the sticker sheet is always what I am afraid of happening to me. I keep the map and the stickers in the plastic as I walk around, but I fear that I will inadvertently hold it the wrong way and the stickers will fly out. So far I have not lost the maps or stickers.

The DTD hunt was really super easy, and I will be interested to see if it gets a bit more challenging next year.

The Plaza Inn CM I asked about the glorious strawberry shortcake said that she wasn't sure if they would start making it even in another 2 or 3 weeks. She said it would probably appear somewhere around then -- after a few weeks -- but she couldn't be sure. Whenever it appears it will probably not be at a time when I am there. :mad: Thank you for asking for me -- I appreciate it. :flower:

Hi everyone. I'm here now and just finished the DCA hunt. I don't want to spoil anything, so can someone who did this hunt PM me or subtly respond? We found all the eggs in the grizzly river run area, but we can't tell which is which for two of them. We must be missing something about those two clues. Just curious. Thanks!

Hi everyone. I'm here now and just finished the DCA hunt. I don't want to spoil anything, so can someone who did this hunt PM me or subtly respond? We found all the eggs in the grizzly river run area, but we can't tell which is which for two of them. We must be missing something about those two clues. Just curious. Thanks!

There is no way to subtly respond on the open forum so that only you will get the answer (without giving it away to other people). I would say that if no one PMs you, just ask the Cast Members in the area. I asked CMs when I couldn't find certain eggs or had specific questions about something (like a confusing location or misleading clue) -- they were happy to help! :goodvibes

Edited to add: I PM'd you... just in case. :goodvibes

I found the Disneyland hunt to be very easy this year.

I think it helped that the areas on the map were very specific to where the eggs are located. Last year they were just a little more vague. We had a big challenge to overcome. We did the map at night before fireworks and certain areas were roped off and we had to wait for the parade and fireworks to end before we could find the Fantasyland eggs :P

I think it helped that the areas on the map were very specific to where the eggs are located. Last year they were just a little more vague. We had a big challenge to overcome. We did the map at night before fireworks and certain areas were roped off and we had to wait for the parade and fireworks to end before we could find the Fantasyland eggs :P

It's interesting that you mention that (about the areas being roped off and waiting for the parade, etc., to ). When I was at DLR a few days ago, while I got all of the egg hunting out of the way when it was still light outside, I wondered 2 things: 1) Are the eggs as easy to see at night as they are in the daytime, in all areas; and 2) how does it work when certain areas are inaccessible for a while, like what you dealt with.

One specific land in the Disneyland hunt had to close very early on Wednesday night -- 2 hours before the rest of the park closed. I think it may have been due to a Google employee/executive party. I found the eggs in that land before it closed, but I assumed that anyone else who didn't would have to wait until the next day to find them, or just skip that land entirely.

I love your nicely composed photo of the prize eggs with the Castle in the background! Very cute.

What you described about losing the sticker sheet is always what I am afraid of happening to me. I keep the map and the stickers in the plastic as I walk around, but I fear that I will inadvertently hold it the wrong way and the stickers will fly out. So far I have not lost the maps or stickers.

The DTD hunt was really super easy, and I will be interested to see if it gets a bit more challenging next year.

The Plaza Inn CM I asked about the glorious strawberry shortcake said that she wasn't sure if they would start making it even in another 2 or 3 weeks. She said it would probably appear somewhere around then -- after a few weeks -- but she couldn't be sure. Whenever it appears it will probably not be at a time when I am there. :mad: Thank you for asking for me -- I appreciate it. :flower:
Thanks! I got a new camera for my birthday so I had fun playing with it and took A LOT of pictures on this trip.
We will be there again over Memorial Day weekend, I wonder if they will still have the strawberry shortcake around that time. You KNOW I will be checking!

My 5 and 7 year olds were able to find all the eggs on their own and did all 3 in one day. If you get stuck, just look for the cluster of people with maps, there was usually a group around every egg in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter