Egypt January 2, 2024 trip report

I can only imagine!!

Yep, that so sounds like Mike!

I probably would have *tried* the chambers, but I'm not too sure how far I'd've gotten!

Sayhello
I’d say this was mostly challenging for those with mobility issues or claustrophobia.

Pretty sure I stubbornly would make it to the end one way or another..! I do run 2-3 miles a 3x times a week, but no core strength for all that crouching! Were the 6’+ folk able to make it..? My husband is 6’1.

The tall people made it. They probably had a much harder time of it than I did since I’m only 5 feet tall.

Yesterday we went to Aswan. We did get the bonus of going to the NMEC as I mentioned. I think whether or not a group gets to do this depends on the airline and their schedules. Afterwards, we swung by the Le Meridien and picked up a box lunch which included a cheese and lettuce sandwich and a chicken sandwich, an apple, a juice box and a salad. Our group just took the cheese off the one sandwich and added it to the chicken sandwich. Then we were taken to the airport. There are two security check points. Didn’t need to remove shoes until the second one. The flight was about 90 minutes to reach Aswan. Then we hopped on the bus and boarded an Egyptian Felucca. We sailed the Nile to the Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Hotel. The Hotel is lovely and it was neat to see the library where Agatha Christie wrote some of Death on the Nile. We had dinner there and then made our way back to board our river boat home, the Tamr Henna for the next 3 nights.

IMG_1603.jpeg

IMG_1604.jpeg

IMG_1605.jpeg

IMG_1606.jpeg

IMG_1609.jpeg

IMG_1608.jpeg

IMG_1610.jpeg

IMG_1611.jpeg

IMG_1612.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1610.jpeg
    IMG_1610.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 0
Thank you so much for this report! It's convincing me that I do want to go with ABD, despite all my worries. :thanks:

We travel a fair amount on our own. There are some trips that I won’t attempt on my own for a variety of reasons. This is one of them and China was the other. The access is amazing with ABD. There is no reality where we are able to cram everything we are doing in the same timeframe. Plus, the ability for ABD to know what’s going on and switch the game plan seamlessly is priceless. Just this morning before leaving to the airport ABD found out the route we take on the lower dam highway had an accident. They were able to switch things up behind the scenes and we took the high dam route which our guide has never experienced. Apparently this is way more than Waze or Google maps re-routing directions. There are permits that are needed and specific red tape to cut through in order to do this and we had no idea it was happening while we were enjoying the sites.

This morning alone was bus to boat, to see a temple site, boat to bus to plane, catch flight, bus to temple site, bus to plane, catch flight, bus to boat sail to next location. For each of our flights were literally went through security and got on the plane with no time waiting to board. There was no get there 1 to 2 hours before your flight.

As far as safety. We have never felt any unease at all.

Enjoying your trip report😃
Thank you! Glad you are enjoying.

May I ask what type(s) of planes and carriers they use for these short hops? Are they little ones? I’m not a great flyer so it does make a difference to my anxiety level I’m ashamed to say… ^^;

May I ask what type(s) of planes and carriers they use for these short hops? Are they little ones? I’m not a great flyer so it does make a difference to my anxiety level I’m ashamed to say… ^^;
If ABD does what it did for my trip, you will fly Egypt Air (Cairo-Aswan; Aswan-Abu Simbel-Aswan) and Air Cairo(to Sharm El-Sheik). I believe Egypt Air was a 737 or similar, but Air Cairo was a smaller plane. All of the flights were around 1 hour or less and you board and deplane from the tarmac (a bus takes you to the plane). We were lucky to have a direct flight to Sharm El-Sheik, which the guides said wasn’t always the case. If your carryon is 22x14x9, you should be fine on Egypt Air but they may check your wheeled carryon for Air Cairo.

Glad the tips and tricks help! This is truly an amazing trip!

That’s what I was thinking. I felt like yesterday alone made the trip for me. Everything else is a bonus 😂

No we haven’t reached Luxor yet. This was the pyramids in Giza, I believe we were in the pyramid of Khufu. I said King and Queen’s room but I suppose the proper term is burial chamber. Here are some pics. I am only 5 feet tall and that is how far I had to bend to get through some of the tunnels. Some of climbing is steep. Some folks wound up turning back and some only made it to one chamber and some folks opted out. It was quite warm inside the chambers and the weather is cool out. I broke a sweat and was slightly winded but I am also not work out girl, I’m read a book girl. Our guide Mike reminded me to bring my inhaler just in case. I love that he was looking out. I tend to forget brining it with me on physical activities. Fortunately though I didn’t need to use it.

View attachment 823037
View attachment 823039
View attachment 823040
View attachment 823036
Thank you for sharing and great report! We have two kids ages 6 and 7. Did you see other kids on your tour similar in age, and if so, were the steep climbs, etc. too strenuous for them (or in your estimation, if there were no kids similar in age on the tour)?

I am really enjoying your trip report. Ds and I might have to take this trip in 2025 -- it looks amazing. Thanks for sharing.
It is an amazing trip and has shot up to my top 3 and we aren’t even done yet. You’re welcome.

All of our flights have been Egypt Air so far. The first flight from Cairo to Aswan was about 90 minutes on an Airbus A220-300 in a 3-2 configuration. From Aswan to Abu Simbel and back the flights were 45 minutes on a Boeing 737-800 in a 3-3 configuration. They aren’t puddle jumpers.

Thank you for sharing and great report! We have two kids ages 6 and 7. Did you see other kids on your tour similar in age, and if so, were the steep climbs, etc. too strenuous for them (or in your estimation, if there were no kids similar in age on the tour)?

We are on an adult’s only trip. There are people on our trip with mobility issues that may find some of it challenging and there are lots of stairs everywhere we go it seems. They are managing fair enough. Some have opted out of some experiences because it would be too challenging for them. I haven’t seen anything that a 6-7 year old wouldn’t be able to handle. Some steps are steep but I could totally see my youngest niece (5 years old) managing them fine. I’m 55, overweight and not fit by any stretch of the imagination and am able to do everything but my legs are definitely sore 😂 if that helps.

This evening we sailed the Nile to Komombo Temple. It is astounding how well preserved the color is in some places even after thousands of years.

After the visit we boarded our boat and had dinner. The food was good! Then after dinner we had a Galabia party!

IMG_2045.jpeg

IMG_2046.jpeg

IMG_2049.jpeg

IMG_2048.jpeg

IMG_2050.jpeg

IMG_2047.jpeg

IMG_2052.jpeg

IMG_2053.jpeg
IMG_2051.jpeg

Last edited:
Sharing my perspective on the trip now and in light of the experiences of others on the same or a similar trip(s) and for those who haven’t been on this type of an adventure. The schedule and itinerary are fluid. Things may happen in a different order than what is on the itinerary and sometimes that order can change a couple times the same day. There are a lot of working parts here behind the scenes and I am so glad that I don’t have to deal with ANY of it. The guides do an amazing job to make this all appear to be seamless but sometimes things happen beyond their control and they need to PIVOT (yes I’m channeling Ross from Friends 😂) to give us the overall experience we came for. So just roll with it is my advice.

You will see amazing architecture, some modern some older and also abject poverty and sometimes all on the same street. After DH and I got married my MIL took us to Vietnam to meet extended family. It was my first time to a 3rd world or developing country. It was there that I learned what poverty really looked like. If you haven’t seen it before then nothing can really prepare you for that. Egypt is nothing near as bad as like what I saw in Vietnam many years ago, but I can see how some areas can come as a shock to some people.

Everywhere you go there will be entrepreneurs trying to sell you something. As the trip goes on some of the vendor gauntlets we have to go through get more intense, like leveling up in a video game. The guides warn us ahead of time. The easiest thing to do is don’t make eye contact or respond. Only once did things get a bit too intense and that was this evening. One vendor simply would not let up trying to sell a scarf to our friend who was wearing a scarf and it was borderline harassment. He didn’t let up until her husband intervened. Everywhere else and everyone else trying to sell their wares has been quite respectful if not downright funny at times with regards to their methods. I’ve come to look forward to seeing if anyone will say something more amusing than what I’ve heard so far. Great sense of humor!

At no point have we had to pull out money for tipping anyone anywhere. ABD takes care of all of that. All toilet stops, musicians during dinner, anything to do with hotel, drivers etc.

We all are using whisper sync devices and Nermeen our Egyptologist is explaining the history and background of everything we are seeing at every single site and how one thing relates to another etc. So if you are like me and do not know anything regarding Egypt beyond that there are pyramids, a Sphinx and hieroglyphics then you won’t feel out of your depth. She seems more than happy to cheerfully answer any questions anyone asks her about anything. No need to pre study anything at all.

ABD will not arrange for a camel picture as the treatment of the animals does not meet their expectations. They do find a good spot to take pictures of us in front of the pyramids without people in the background.

The up close, no one else around access to the Sphinx and the after hours, our group only, inside the pyramids is a an absolute highlight of this trip! I understand tomorrow we have after hours access in Luxor. I’ll share what that was like tomorrow.

Yes, there are many stray dogs and cats everywhere.

We have not pre ordered any meals so far. The only thing we have pre done is given the names we would like printed for an upcoming papyrus experience. We have had 2 box lunches which were both right before a flight. I’ve enjoyed all of our meals so far.

I’ve already mentioned that this trip will be challenging for those with mobility issues. So bear that in mind.

The guides: 12 ABDs and I have never had an ABD guide I didn’t like. Full stop. I’ve been on one NatGeo collab and that was Antarctica with Lindblad and NatGeo. I liked our NatGeo guides well enough but they still didn’t compare to any ABD guide I’ve ever had.

If anyone has any specific questions or concerns please feel free to ask.

Sharing my perspective on the trip now and in light of the experiences of others on the same or a similar trip(s) and for those who haven’t been on this type of an adventure. The schedule and itinerary are fluid. Things may happen in a different order than what is on the itinerary and sometimes that order can change a couple times the same day. There are a lot of working parts here behind the scenes and I am so glad that I don’t have to deal with ANY of it. The guides do an amazing job to make this all appear to be seamless but sometimes things happen beyond their control and they need to PIVOT (yes I’m channeling Ross from Friends 😂) to give us the overall experience we came for. So just roll with it is my advice.

You will see amazing architecture, some modern some older and also abject poverty and sometimes all on the same street. After DH and I got married my MIL took us to Vietnam to meet extended family. It was my first time to a 3rd world or developing country. It was there that I learned what poverty really looked like. If you haven’t seen it before then nothing can really prepare you for that. Egypt is nothing near as bad as like what I saw in Vietnam many years ago, but I can see how some areas can come as a shock to some people.

Everywhere you go there will be entrepreneurs trying to sell you something. As the trip goes on some of the vendor gauntlets we have to go through get more intense, like leveling up in a video game. The guides warn us ahead of time. The easiest thing to do is don’t make eye contact or respond. Only once did things get a bit too intense and that was this evening. One vendor simply would not let up trying to sell a scarf to our friend who was wearing a scarf and it was borderline harassment. He didn’t let up until her husband intervened. Everywhere else and everyone else trying to sell their wares has been quite respectful if not downright funny at times with regards to their methods. I’ve come to look forward to seeing if anyone will say something more amusing than what I’ve heard so far. Great sense of humor!

At no point have we had to pull out money for tipping anyone anywhere. ABD takes care of all of that. All toilet stops, musicians during dinner, anything to do with hotel, drivers etc.

We all are using whisper sync devices and Nermeen our Egyptologist is explaining the history and background of everything we are seeing at every single site and how one thing relates to another etc. So if you are like me and do not know anything regarding Egypt beyond that there are pyramids, a Sphinx and hieroglyphics then you won’t feel out of your depth. She seems more than happy to cheerfully answer any questions anyone asks her about anything. No need to pre study anything at all.

ABD will not arrange for a camel picture as the treatment of the animals does not meet their expectations. They do find a good spot to take pictures of us in front of the pyramids without people in the background.

The up close, no one else around access to the Sphinx and the after hours, our group only, inside the pyramids is a an absolute highlight of this trip! I understand tomorrow we have after hours access in Luxor. I’ll share what that was like tomorrow.

Yes, there are many stray dogs and cats everywhere.

We have not pre ordered any meals so far. The only thing we have pre done is given the names we would like printed for an upcoming papyrus experience. We have had 2 box lunches which were both right before a flight. I’ve enjoyed all of our meals so far.

I’ve already mentioned that this trip will be challenging for those with mobility issues. So bear that in mind.

The guides: 12 ABDs and I have never had an ABD guide I didn’t like. Full stop. I’ve been on one NatGeo collab and that was Antarctica with Lindblad and NatGeo. I liked our NatGeo guides well enough but they still didn’t compare to any ABD guide I’ve ever had.

If anyone has any specific questions or concerns please feel free to ask.
Love this post so much :) Some times it is hard to quantify the ABD experience but this seems like one of those trips! We are signed up for a Viking Egypt trip mostly because to the itinerary and new ship. ABD doesn't hit everything we want to see. But you are giving me some food for thought. I think ABD really shines in places you don't want to navigate on your own and want a little more hand holding. For me, China and Japan really shined in that regard. It sounds like Egypt is in that camp, too. So glad you guys are having a great time, and I really appreciate the day-by-day updates.

Same - especially as we just took our first river cruise with AMA last month and I was not at all impressed... It has given me cold feet about our booking on Viking in '25. I'm looking forward to Calypso's thoughts once the shift to sharm el sheik which I felt was a waste on paper...

Love this post so much :) Some times it is hard to quantify the ABD experience but this seems like one of those trips! We are signed up for a Viking Egypt trip mostly because to the itinerary and new ship. ABD doesn't hit everything we want to see. But you are giving me some food for thought. I think ABD really shines in places you don't want to navigate on your own and want a little more hand holding. For me, China and Japan really shined in that regard. It sounds like Egypt is in that camp, too. So glad you guys are having a great time, and I really appreciate the day-by-day updates.

Yes China and even Japan shined. Honestly, I don’t think anything will ever top our first year Scotland trip we did with you and @Calfan. It was a delightful combo of that first year unique itinerary, a really fun group of people we met and traveled with on that trip and of course because it was our first ABD 🥰

You’re right there is no quantifiable way. But when I think of what it would take to replicate this trip and ones like China and Japan. The sheer logistics of putting it all together, arranging the travel, tickets, guides, sourcing where is it safe to eat at each location, what exactly am I to expect that will be culturally different and how do I navigate that without causing an international incident, plan b, c and d for when something goes sideways and I have to pivot, all with no special access to anything, I just laugh. Like I said earlier, I truly don’t know anything about Egypt. I wanted to see the pyramids and the Sphinx and mostly cross off my seventh continent. Even made tee shirts! (Pic below) Sounds like a silly reason to book with ABD for just that. But I knew I’d get so much more. I’ve seen things I didn’t even know I needed or wanted to see!

IMG_2054.jpeg
IMG_2055.jpeg

Same - especially as we just took our first river cruise with AMA last month and I was not at all impressed... It has given me cold feet about our booking on Viking in '25. I'm looking forward to Calypso's thoughts once the shift to sharm el sheik which I felt was a waste on paper...

Oh no! We loved our AMA/ABD Danube river cruise. It’s the only river cruise we’ve done besides the one we are on now in the Nile. I have actually considered booking a river cruise with AMA down the line.

@calypso726 I am following along, too. I've been mostly reading in this forum since we haven't taken an ABD since 2019 and do not have one currently planned. This is the trip we wanted in October 2020.

I love reading your trip reports and look forward to the rest.
Our last ABD was also the Japan one in 2019. In 2020 I had planned a safari in Kenya and stay in Giraffe manor (huge bucket list item) and had to cancel thanks to 2020 being so extra 😳 I have not been able to recreate that itinerary the way I want to. So I decided to book this trip and cross off pyramids, sphinx and 7th continent. So here we are. What I didn’t expect was for this trip to wind up in my top 3 ABD trips. There was something magical about the up and close access we had to the sphinx getting to walk all the way around it, in between the paws etc That nailed it for me.

Thank you so much for following along! Glad you enjoy my Trip reports.

Last edited:
Following along and loving the photography, specifically the champagne fireworks photo and the camel/pyramid photo.

You looked absolutely stunning in that Galabia. Did you buy it locally or ahead of time? It really suits you so well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter