Eh! Canada. . .

Timbits are donut holes from a donut chain called Tim Hortons.

They are sold with a choice in type and number Snack/Family/Party box.

My fav. Raspberry Jelly can pop in the mouth with no mess and, - temptation of a whole donut. Willpower needed! ;)

We are having Thanksgiving dinner today (so my grown kids can have another celebration with their spouses' families tomorrow). We are vegan, so we don't eat the traditional foods, but here is what we are having:

Baked beans
Sweet potato/apple mash
Italian wedding soup (with vegan sausage)
Stuffing (baked in a casserole)
Salad rolls (in rice paper)
Green salad
Applesauce muffins
Apple crisp
Pumpkin pie (vegan of course)

TP

Just took the turkey out of the brine. Pecan and apple pies are sitting on the counter (pumpkin is traditional...but I don't like it so since I'm the baker I get veto power ;) ). I have a turnip and carrot casserole, pecan cranberry dressing, and make-ahead mashed potatoes ready to go. We're also having glazed carrots (for the kids who don't like turnip), peas, rolls, cranberry sauce, and gravy.

My mouth is watering just thinking about. :thumbsup2 The house already smells great!

There will be eight of us tonight (my family of four, two older neighbours who live alone, and a couple newly arrived to Canada from Chile). It will be a lot of fun, but I'm always a little sad to be so far away from the rest of my family on holidays (they live in eastern Canada).

Just took the turkey out of the brine. Pecan and apple pies are sitting on the counter (pumpkin is traditional...but I don't like it so since I'm the baker I get veto power ;) ). I have a turnip and carrot casserole, pecan cranberry dressing, and make-ahead mashed potatoes ready to go. We're also having glazed carrots (for the kids who don't like turnip), peas, rolls, cranberry sauce, and gravy.

My mouth is watering just thinking about. :thumbsup2 The house already smells great!

There will be eight of us tonight (my family of four, two older neighbours who live alone, and a couple newly arrived to Canada from Chile). It will be a lot of fun, but I'm always a little sad to be so far away from the rest of my family on holidays (they live in eastern Canada).

:thumbsup2

We use our playbook video chat to see Relatives East & West!

For most of us I think it is a traditional Thanksgiving meal. Roast turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, rolls, and whatever vegetables suit your fancy. For us it is always mashed turnips, peas, and steamed or glazed carrots.

For at least 10 years we shared all the major holiday meals with another 2 families, alternating who was hosting. When there were 12 of us, we always served glazed spiral ham and scalloped potatoes au gratin as well. As the children grew up and grew apart we stopped that tradition and this year it will just be my family of 4, and we are just doing the turkey dinner. For dessert I am making gingerbread with hot lemon sauce.

Christmas dinner is exactly the same, but I'll probably make the ham as well. There may be a mutiny if I don't.

I know what a traditional American Thanksgiving meal is, but I was not sure that the Canadian meal would be the same as ours.

Seeing a lot of FB posts about people making their cabbage rolls today for tomorrow.
Never thought of that as a traditional Canadian Thanksgiving item.

They are something my Aunts have always made when I am up for a visit just thought it was more of a tradition to my family.

I know what a traditional American Thanksgiving meal is, but I was not sure that the Canadian meal would be the same as ours.

I knew what you meant :) I'm sure some menus aren't as "traditional" as mine, depends what region you are in. Tourtiere is probably on a lot of dinner tables in Quebec, you might find "salt meat" in Newfoundland, cabbage rolls in Western Canada where there is a large Ukrainian population. The dressing/stuffing I eat today is not made the same as what I grew up with in Nova Scotia. My husband is from Newfoundland so now I make "his" stuffing (easier than "mine" and I prefer it now).

Just like for your Thanksgiving, what's on your table often depends on your heritage.

Seeing a lot of FB posts about people making their cabbage rolls today for tomorrow.
Never thought of that as a traditional Canadian Thanksgiving item.

They are something my Aunts have always made when I am up for a visit just thought it was more of a tradition to my family.

It isn't. It may be common in areas with a large East European population (e.g. areas of Saskatchewan and Manitoba where there have historically been many Ukrainian immigrants), but they are not part of a traditional Canadian Thanksgiving meal. We are Polish and have never had them at Thanksgiving (nor have I ever heard of anyone doing so).

Just came home from our family's Thanksgiving dinner - so very, very full.

It isn't. It may be common in areas with a large East European population (e.g. areas of Saskatchewan and Manitoba where there have historically been many Ukrainian immigrants), but they are not part of a traditional Canadian Thanksgiving meal. We are Polish and have never had them at Thanksgiving (nor have I ever heard of anyone doing so).

Just came home from our family's Thanksgiving dinner - so very, very full.

My family is Czech, but they are in Saskatchewan, and the posts from non-family members are all in Saskatchewan too.

I made turkey, dressing, potatoes, turnip, carrots, peas, corn niblets and gravy...my dressing is made with potatoes and bread but lots of people on PEI make it without the potatoes.

Paula

That's the kind of dressing my mother always made, peigirl, with bread, potatoes, poultry seasoning, onion, salt and pepper, and a little milk to soften it up. Now I make bread, summer savory, onion, butter, salt and pepper. Today I used bread that is called "turkey stuffing bread" and it's all seasoned with sage, rosemary, etc. I hope it tastes good in the dressing!

Turkey actually went in the oven at exactly the time I planned. I don't think that has ever happened before! It's a Thanksgiving Miracle!

Turkey actually went in the oven at exactly the time I planned. I don't think that has ever happened before! It's a Thanksgiving Miracle!

:lmao:

Because we had guests in from out-of-town, we had an early Thanksgiving last weekend (and we get another one today at our neighbor's. Woot!).
Dinner was served right on time.... I was totally shocked with myself. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter