El Tel & Co Dining Reviews (with photos) 21 Oct to 4 Nov - Day 7

El Tel

Mouseketeer
DAY 7 – FRIDAY 27th OCTOBER 2006

My trip report for this day can be found here:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1290362

The plan for today is to head back to Universal Studios – this time to do Islands of Adventure. After IOA, we are scheduled to head back to Epcot because it is an EMH evening for resort guests and we’ve got an ADR at the Teppanyaki Dining Room for 8pm.

Meals ended up as follows:

Breakfast
Time: 08:30am

Overall:
Food rating: 5/10
Service: 6/10
Atmosphere: 6/10

Sorry, no photos – just a few snacks today as we wanted to get an early(ish) start for a change. We also needed to get rid of a few snack credits and probably a few pounds in weight!

Me:
Cinnamon Roll - $2.59
Large Orange Juice - $2.99

DW:
Muffin - $2.29

DS:
Choc Chip Cookie - $2.50

DD:
Bagel - $2.29

Lunch
Time: 01:15pm

Overall:
Food rating: 6/10
Service: 5/10
Atmosphere: 6/10

Sorry, no food photos - I was only really thinking about photographing Disney meals. Service was average and the surroundings were too. Nothing more to say really.

Me:
Slice and Caesar Salad Combo - $6.79
Medium Diet Coke - $2.29

DW:
Slice and Caesar Salad Combo - $6.79
Medium Orange - $2.29

DS:
Pepperoni Slice - $2.50
Medium Sprite - $2.29

DD:
Spaghetti with Meatballs - $7.69
Fruit Cup - $2.99
Medium Orange - $2.29

Dinner

Time: 08:00pm
Location: Teppanyaki Dining Room, Japan, World Showcase, Epcot

Overall:
Food rating: 9/10
Service: 9/10
Atmosphere: 10/10

Me:
Kaiso Salad - spicy seaweed salad - $4.99
Tonosama - New York Sirloin and chicken $27.99
Ice Cream – ginger & green tea - $3.49
Sake with Plum Wine - $7.00 (not on DDP)
Soft drink - $2.25

DW:
Garden Salad - mixed greens, tomato, cucumber, carrot topped with ginger dressing - $3.99
Ginger Cake - $4.99
Mikan - Mandarin oranges, pineapple and lemon juice - $3.95 (not on DDP)
Soft drink - $2.25

DS:
Edamame - young soybean pods - $3.99
Ginger Cake - $4.99
Soft drink - $2.25

DD:
Kaiso Salad - spicy seaweed salad - $4.99
Ginger Cake - $4.99
Soft drink - $2.25

I was really worried about what the family was going to think about the Teppanyaki Dining Room. This was a new type of dining experience for us and DW isn’t always that keen on anything too unusual. I wanted the DW and the kids to broaden their horizons a bit – so there was a bit of a risk here. Well I have to report that the meal was a fantastic success. We got off to a bit of a slow start because the ADRs were behind schedule – we were given a pager and told to have a look around whilst we waited. It had started to drizzle so DW and DD decided to wait in the waiting area whilst DS and I had a look in the store below.
We were led to our table by our server, who was very pleasant and courteous.
113791PA281388-resize.jpg

We were seated next to a nice family from Chicago. I’m not sure if it was them or us that was nervous about chatting initially (normally Americans are very keen to talk) but by the end of the evening I was getting on fine with the main man. We settled in with great expectations for the meal ahead.
113791PA281386-resize.jpg

113791PA281383-resize.jpg

AI, our server took our orders and brought back our drinks. In addition to soft drinks on the DDP I also got a sake with plum wine (a recommendation from AI) and my wife had a non-alcoholic Mikan drink (the orange one with a green parasol). I found my drink to be absolutely fantastic – a lovely flavour, being a little sweet and fruity with a nice undercurrent of dry sake. DW loved her Mikan too. We recommend either of these drinks.
113791PA281387-resize.jpg

Ai gave us all a free sampler of the Kaiso Salad (spicy seaweed salad). Probably an acquired taste for many but fortunately DD and I liked it because we had ordered it as our appetiser (it would have been more helpful to have given us the sampler beforehand). DW wasn’t so keen on it but fortunately had the Garden Salad to start. DS ordered the edamame. I was pleased that the kids tried something a bit different. They both liked their appetisers although neither of them finished the course.
113791PA281390-resize.jpg

113791PA281391-resize.jpg

113791PA281392-resize.jpg

The teppan chef, a lady by the name of Megumi, then came to our table and started laying out her cooking implements and the food. Then the show started. She started with an onion volcano – very clever and entertaining.
113791PA281393-resize.jpg

She laid out the chicken pieces first then moved onto the whirling of knives and cutting of veggies and noodles. The veggies and noodles were placed on our plates first and we were told to start if we wanted. (We had also been given rice and sauces – soy, etc to accompany them.)
113791PA281395-resize.jpg

113791PA281396-resize.jpg

113791PA281397-resize.jpg

She then moved onto the beef, which was seasoned by much whirling and tapping of salt and pepper shakers and a splash of soy. The meat was then carved into chunks and served onto our plates.
113791PA281398-resize.jpg

113791PA281399-resize.jpg

113791PA281400-resize.jpg

113791PA281401-resize.jpg

113791PA281403-resize.jpg

113791PA281404-resize.jpg

113791PA281408-resize.jpg

Well it may have been simply (but spectacularly) cooked but we all found it very tasty. A case of more is less, I think. At this point Megumi moved on to a different table and we were left in AI’s capable hands.

Before the next course, AI handed out free samplers of green tea. I wasn’t too sure how this would go down with the kids. Rhiannon likes tea but Daniel usually avoids it – and that is ‘normal’ hot, black tea with a drop of milk (as we Brits tend to drink it), not green tea. Well, another surprise, the kids loved it. In fact they keep going on about it since our return.
113791PA281410-resize.jpg

We then had our deserts. I thought I’d try the different ice creams but couldn’t decide between ginger and green tea – AI said I could have both. They were both very pleasant but the green tea flavour was a little too subtle; the ginger was a little spicy and had pieces of candied ginger in. (None of them matched my all time favourite – Jasmine.) The others asked for the ginger cake - they used to love granny’s ginger cake at home. This was different from hers but was still very good.
113791PA281414-resize.jpg

113791PA281415-resize.jpg

That was it. The family voted that this was one of the best meals we had so far, and they loved the theatricals. Mission accomplished, I think!

Day 8 – Lunch at the Biergarten and an Illuminations dinner at the Rose & Crown (with more photos).

Great post, loved all of the pictures of Teppanyaki. :)

Great reviews, I enjoyed them a lot and keep out looking for the next day! Thanks!

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

great photos! I will definitely be booking to eat there next time we go :thumbsup2

Thanks for all the reviews!! I look forward to the remainder of your trip!

:teeth: What great pictures! Thanks for the review!!! I think we'll definitely have to try your drink recommendations the next time we do Teppenyaki!

Great pictures! I don't think I've ever seen a female Teppan chef before.

Sounds like your family had a great time!

He's right. For the most part, we Americans tend to be chatty, unless terribly shy. And I hope the fellow Chicagoans gave you a good impression of us! ;)

I enjoy these types of Japanese steakhouses, and Teppanyaki is typical of what I can find here in Chicago. (In fact, I'm going to one for lunch on Friday. Yum!)

But when I'm at WDW, I am not usually on the DDP, so it's a better value to visit during lunchtime. The food is basically the same, and they have "theatrics", too. I feel they tend to really play it up if you have children in your party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter