Electric Scooter Rentals?

Mortlives

DIS Veteran
I will be travelling to WDW with my elderly parents in April. Both of the will need scooters to get around. Please suggest rental companies, how tos, and any other info I might need. TIA.

for reliability and customer service we use Walker Mobility. Been a happy customer quite a few years with them for both mine and my wife's scooter needs. very comfortable and easy to drive in limited space.

Thanks. How did you find having the both of you taking the disney transportation? Was it difficult to get around?

You will need to look at the websites and be sure to compare "Apple's to apples". Other than Disney's preferred vendor, you will meet a representative at your resort for drop off and pick up. You will find that some companies are willing to work with your schedule (meet you when you arrive and right before your departure. You will find some companies that will have a scheduled drop off period (drop off: 8-10 am. 1-3 pm - as an example).;

make sure you check about insurance, some charge extra. Want or need something extra, some offer for free, some charge extra.

It is not difficult to use a scooter on Disney transportation. It is quite easy.

Two will fit in each bus. Monorail can fit several more. There are quite a few cars that handle them on the monorail. In the ferry, at least two, if not more. You won't have any trouble. There will cast members available to answer any questions, also, don't hesitate to ask mobility users waiting ahead of, or behind you.They

Also be prepared for them to travel single-file - there are a lot of places where they won't be able to ride side-by-side. And there are a lot of places where they *shouldn't* travel side-by-side, simply because they will block other Guests from being able to get around them.

I will be travelling to WDW with my elderly parents in April. Both of the will need scooters to get around. Please suggest rental companies, how tos, and any other info I might need. TIA.

If you're going the week before or after Easter it will be exceptionally busy as many schools have spring break. If so, you may want to modify some touring strategies because it's just so many more people and it makes touring more difficult whether you're in an ECV or not - but especially if they aren't used to ECV's. For example, trying to get back to a Disney hotel using resort busses after fireworks or the evening show at Epcot can be a multi-hour experience. If you're going during early April, perhaps post back and I'll post more about it - I seem to only go at the busiest times - haha!

Epcot with have the Flower and Garden show which is very pretty - but it gets super crowded there on the weekends and sometimes the evenings too. I am usually perfectly fine with heavy crowds in an ECV (unlike many people) but even that was just too much...because there is so much space to cover perhaps? A weekday morning would be better than evenings or weekends there.

I've also used the Minnie van that can hold ECV's and I think it can hold two. This is a really great way to get from resort to resort - say if you have dinner at the Beach Club and need to get back to AKL - there's no easy way. Also - I absolutely LOVED the skyline but when I was there in October it was just so very iffy - it was undependable and I sure would hate to get stuck somewhere like Caribbean Beach resort in an ECV if it went down. I'm guessing Disney sends extra busses if that happens but I didn't want to find out! I stopped using it if I had anywhere I had to be at a certain time.

There are some rides that require a person to park the ECV and walk or transfer to a push wheelchair (like Buzz Lightyear). Since you'd have 2 to push (and not sure if you have extra pushers), take a look at the FAQ and what rides require that so you can plan. I'll add that I used to rent from Buena Vista Scooters back when they could deliver to the resorts - and they were ok but the rentals I received just became less and less reliable and were generally in rough shape. I switched to Gold Mobility and have been very happy with them. Overall their equipment has always looked brand new, has a nicer seat, and is cheaper to rent with insurance included. I've had people stop me and ask what company - it was just that much better. I don't know if BV has updated their equipment but it was in sad shape a couple of years ago. When you call around to compare prices, make sure to ask about insurance - it's good to have - and whether it covers loss as well as damage, etc.

Last edited:
Bus only holds two scooters. So you may have to Waite for the next bus if you want to go together

As most on here know, we prefer Gold Mobility and I will list the reasons in a minute, but here are a few things to pay attention to with any company:
  • Are their scooters designed to last all day in the parks without needing to be recharged? Check reviews and see if people say the scooters actually do last all day in the parks without need to recharge.
  • Ask them how often their equipment is replaced (with as much as they get used, it should ideally be on a 6 month cycle)
  • Is damage insurance included?
  • Is theft insurance included? (This is becoming a bigger and bigger issue)
  • What additional accessories are included?
  • How does their drop off and pick up work?
  • Will their drop off and pickup times work with your schedule?
  • Will they adjust their drop off and pickup times if you have a schedule change?
  • Will they charge a fee for cancellation? If so, how far in advance do you have to cancel to avoid the fee?
  • If there is an issue and your scooter breaks down, what is their procedure? Do you have to get the scooter to the front of the park or will they come inside the park to you?
  • What is their average response time if they do need to come to you?
  • Do they guarantee the scooter model you rented will be available when you arrive?
Reasons we like Gold Mobility:
  • The scooters battery last all day, generally without dropping at all on the charge indicator, except at Animal Kingdom, then it drops the slightest bit. This is because they use heavy duty batteries that are always in good condition.
  • All of their equipment is replaced every 6 months.
  • Damage insurance is included in the price
  • Theft insurance is included in the price
  • Most of their scooter models have a fan, cell phone holder, cup holder(s), USB Ports, undercarriage lighting (really helps you be more visible at night) and you can choose one additional accessory like a sun canopy (better designed than most, as it doesn't block your side views). They also include 4 ponchos and two rain covers for the tiller (the rain covers are just shower caps, but they work very well)
  • They pickup and drop off on your schedule (exceptions for extremely late at night or early mornings, then it can be a little trickier)
  • They will pickup and drop off in the lobby or as you are getting off Magical Express or if there is a location more convenient for you, they will meet you there.
  • They send you a text the might before and you can let them know if there is any change and they will accommodate
  • They never charge a cancellation fee
  • They come to wherever you are in the parks
  • They say their average response time is under an hour, this I cannot vouch for in any shape or form as the only time I had an issue they gave me instructions on how to fix it via text and we never had another issue after that.
  • They do not overbook their scooters, so you will have a scooter when you arrive and it will be the model you rented. This isn't true with all companies, some do overbook, assuming that there will be a certain percentage of no shows.
  • If you call you can book a scooter without even providing credit card information and simply pay upon delivery.
  • They have the lowest prices (especially if you are going for 7 days or longer)
  • They have excellent customer service, in fact the best of any company I have ever dealt with, mobility related or not
While they may not be the only company that rents ECVs in Orlando, they are the only ones we will use unless there are some really extenuating circumstances and I honestly cannot think of what those would be, but I have learned enough over the years to never say never.

Just be aware when people say "we" prefer, it means them personally and not necessarily everyone on the DISboards forums. There are a number of ECV vendors available and there may be pros and cons of each. For example, Scooterbug is the only vendor where your ECV can be picked up (and dropped off) at your convenience. For all others you must make arrangements with the vendor for time frames for pickup and return. I'm not recommending them specifically, just using them as an example. Do your research - read the related sticky threads and other threads to find out people's experiences with the different vendors.

Just be aware when people say "we" prefer, it means them personally and not necessarily everyone on the DISboards forums. There are a number of ECV vendors available and there may be pros and cons of each. For example, Scooterbug is the only vendor where your ECV can be picked up (and dropped off) at your convenience. For all others you must make arrangements with the vendor for time frames for pickup and return. I'm not recommending them specifically, just using them as an example. Do your research - read the related sticky threads and other threads to find out people's experiences with the different vendors.
You are correct and just to be clear "we" means my husband and I, as I do not in any shape or form represent any entity besides us and definitely do not represent the Disboards. I am simply providing my experiences with Gold Mobility based on the criteria I listed that you should check with any mobility company.

Also, please note the sticky threads no longer have information about specific companies other than to mention that ScooterBug is the only company that can use Bell Services. I know we don't all read them all that often, so we may not be aware, but I found that out fairly recently.

You are correct and just to be clear "we" means my husband and I,
Ignore this suggestion if you each rent and use an ECV. If only one of you does, perhaps use the singular pronoun? This is not a grammar critique, just a clarification recommendation.

Ignore this suggestion if you each rent and use an ECV. If only one of you does, perhaps use the singular pronoun? This is not a grammar critique, just a clarification recommendation.
We actually do both rent an ECV (although perhaps not in the future if things go well), but valid point otherwise.

Here are my pro tips:
1. When driving, reduce your speed using the knob instead of releasing the handle so you don't suddenly stop on a dime.
2. Bring some opaque tape, like duct tape, to cover up the LED battery gauge. In low light, the green LEDs shine right in your face.
3. Park in stroller parking or other out of the way spots, lest your scooter be moved by a CM.
4. Rear baskets let you hold more, but they add length to the scooter, making it more difficult to steer through queues. Also, you have to take it off when loading onto buses.
5. When approaching switchback turns in queues, the key is to keep driving straight (slowly) and don't start turning until your rear wheels clear the inside handrail. It's tricky at first, but you get the hang of it.
6. Try to avoid taking the scooter into shops and restaurants if you can help it. You can get stuck easily. Same applies to places with narrow walkways, like the back of the Canada pavilion
7. With elevators, drive forward straight in and reverse straight out. On the way in, have some else get in and press the door open button.

Here are my pro tips:
1. When driving, reduce your speed using the knob instead of releasing the handle so you don't suddenly stop on a dime.
2. Bring some opaque tape, like duct tape, to cover up the LED battery gauge. In low light, the green LEDs shine right in your face.
3. Park in stroller parking or other out of the way spots, lest your scooter be moved by a CM.
4. Rear baskets let you hold more, but they add length to the scooter, making it more difficult to steer through queues. Also, you have to take it off when loading onto buses.
5. When approaching switchback turns in queues, the key is to keep driving straight (slowly) and don't start turning until your rear wheels clear the inside handrail. It's tricky at first, but you get the hang of it.
6. Try to avoid taking the scooter into shops and restaurants if you can help it. You can get stuck easily. Same applies to places with narrow walkways, like the back of the Canada pavilion
7. With elevators, drive forward straight in and reverse straight out. On the way in, have some else get in and press the door open button.
#7 do the same on way out have someone press door open button and leave after you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter