• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Electric wheelchairs and the buses

wisbucky

3 Years until we our Floridians permanently!!
My cousin is in an electric wheelchair. He is going with us for the first time to Disney in March. He has muscular dystrophy (MD) and therefore has a hard time supporting himself. I am wondering if anyone else has ever road in an electric wheelchair on the Disney buses. If so did you feel that you were being tossed around in your chair or that the bus ride was way to bumpy for you. If any of you are familiar with MD you know that the afflicted person can have very little strength and jarring can be painful. This is the case with my cousin.

My DW has CP and has lower upper body strength and has never had a problem in the buses. The vast majority of the drivers and really good about driving. If you are worried just use a transfer belt on his upper body on the bus to help more. :pug:

pugdog said:
My DW has CP and has lower upper body strength and has never had a problem in the buses. The vast majority of the drivers and really good about driving. If you are worried just use a transfer belt on his upper body on the bus to help more. :pug:
That's a good suggestion.
My DD rides on the buses in her manual wheelchair. Between the wheelchair seat belt and the bus seat belt, she is preyyt firmly in the wheelchair. A transfer belt would help prevent moving side to side. The wheelchair is strapped down very securely to the bus and the wheelchair won't be moving relative to the bus (it will basically be as firmly attached to the bus as any of the bus seats are).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter