• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Electrical Plug/Outlet Converter Needed?

NanaPapa

Mouseketeer
We are staying at Sequoia Lodge in a Montana Room.
Will we need to bring an electrical converter or are there US 120 volt plugs in the room?

You need an adapter, and possibly a converter if you have a hair dryer or something else like that. Nowhere has US outlets. No idea why you thought they would?

But you could call the front desk and they may have them there for you to borrow. I doubt it they'll guarantee it, though. You can buy adapters cheap at the airport.

Here is a tip from someone who just got back from their first trip...

I didn't believe people but you can buy just about everything over there. From full Victoria Secret in train stations to sephora in every major destination to really great drugstores. So pack light! It's a hassle to get huge suitcases on and off the trains!

Except tampons. You can't buy American tampons (with applicators) over there. And in some countries, they don't sell those that the grocery stores only at pharmacies, which close earlier than the groceries. So stock up!:rotfl2:

I didn't believe people but you can buy just about everything over there. From full Victoria Secret in train stations to sephora in every major destination to really great drugstores. So pack light! It's a hassle to get huge suitcases on and off the trains!

Except tampons. You can't buy American tampons (with applicators) over there. And in some countries, they don't sell those that the grocery stores only at pharmacies, which close earlier than the groceries. So stock up!:rotfl2:

Excellent tip!!! My daughter and I send you a HUGE Thank-you!!! :thanks:

LOL...Too old to have to pack those, so more room in the suitcase :daisy:

We are staying at Sequoia Lodge in a Montana Room.
Will we need to bring an electrical converter or are there US 120 volt plugs in the room?

As a fellow newbie European traveller, I don't think that your question is silly at all. I've been researching hotels in Paris and London like crazy, and have found a couple that say they have European, UK and North American outlets in the room. :thumbsup2

You need an adapter, and possibly a converter if you have a hair dryer or something else like that. Nowhere has US outlets. No idea why you thought they would?

But you could call the front desk and they may have them there for you to borrow. I doubt it they'll guarantee it, though. You can buy adapters cheap at the airport.

Can you explain when a converter is needed, when an adapter is just fine, and why? I'm mostly worried about our phones and ipads, but wonder about curling irons, as well. :confused3

Excellent tip!!! My daughter and I send you a HUGE Thank-you!!! :thanks:

You are most welcome!! I ended up getting lucky and the desk clerk drove me to an "emergency" pharmacy. But I don't know which would have been worse as a teen...explaining my problem to a strange male employee or discovering that some tampons don't have applicators:scared: I was really shy in my teens and early twenties. Luckily I'm pretty shameless now!:rolleyes1

Can you explain when a converter is needed, when an adapter is just fine, and why? I'm mostly worried about our phones and ipads, but wonder about curling irons, as well. :confused3

Ok. I am not an electrician so bear with me. What I call an "adapter" is a plug that is cheap because all it does is have "male" local parts on one side and "female" us socket on the the other. It doesn't change the current. a convertor changes the voltage or current or whatever you want to call it. it plugs into or is part of the adapter. (depends on the device). things like phones and ipads are fine. appliances like toasters and hair dryers and lamps over there run on a different voltage. so if you plug your hair dryer into an adapter without a converter, it fries the circuit. like if you have too many devices plugged into a socket at home. (i think).

i don't know about laptops as i don't travel with one. i do know about hair dryers because most of my female friends/family have the more expensive converter/adaptor combo for that reason. single regional adapters are much cheaper than universal adapters or converter combos because they are much simpler. think cheapo head phones vs noise cancelling vs bluetooth.

i can post links if you need further clarification:jumping1:

basically, no hair dryer and only in France, get the cheap adapter. hair dry and only in france, you need a converter. hair dryer and also visiting UK, you probably are best off getting universal with converter. and even if the hotel has multiple plugs, id still want an adapter to use at the airport or train station if you use your electronics for useful stuff like restaraunt reservations or to call family or directions!

Ok. I am not an electrician so bear with me. What I call an "adapter" is a plug that is cheap because all it does is have "male" local parts on one side and "female" us socket on the the other. It doesn't change the current. a convertor changes the voltage or current or whatever you want to call it. it plugs into or is part of the adapter. (depends on the device). things like phones and ipads are fine. appliances like toasters and hair dryers and lamps over there run on a different voltage. so if you plug your hair dryer into an adapter without a converter, it fries the circuit. like if you have too many devices plugged into a socket at home. (i think).

i don't know about laptops as i don't travel with one. i do know about hair dryers because most of my female friends/family have the more expensive converter/adaptor combo for that reason. single regional adapters are much cheaper than universal adapters or converter combos because they are much simpler. think cheapo head phones vs noise cancelling vs bluetooth.

i can post links if you need further clarification:jumping1:

basically, no hair dryer and only in France, get the cheap adapter. hair dry and only in france, you need a converter. hair dryer and also visiting UK, you probably are best off getting universal with converter. and even if the hotel has multiple plugs, id still want an adapter to use at the airport or train station if you use your electronics for useful stuff like restaraunt reservations or to call family or directions!

Thank you SO much! You explained it very well. :goodvibes

To add to the post above, you can check right on your plugs for some things (phone charger, laptop). If it says "100-240V" you don't need a converter, just an adapter. US uses 120V while France (and most of Europe) use 230V, so if something is rated for 100-240V it's good for both. If it's only rated for the lower voltage you'll need a converter. Laptops and phone chargers are usually good for both and only need a plug adapter.

Most hair dryers, flat irons, etc. in the US are only rated for the lower voltage, but you can find some that will work for both. I bought a cheap flat iron on Amazon before my last Europe trip that would work on both voltages so I'd only need the plug converter. Most hotels have hair dryers in the rooms, so I don't even bother packing one.

To add to the post above, you can check right on your plugs for some things (phone charger, laptop). If it says "100-240V" you don't need a converter, just an adapter. US uses 120V while France (and most of Europe) use 230V, so if something is rated for 100-240V it's good for both. If it's only rated for the lower voltage you'll need a converter. Laptops and phone chargers are usually good for both and only need a plug adapter.

Most hair dryers, flat irons, etc. in the US are only rated for the lower voltage, but you can find some that will work for both. I bought a cheap flat iron on Amazon before my last Europe trip that would work on both voltages so I'd only need the plug converter. Most hotels have hair dryers in the rooms, so I don't even bother packing one.
Oooh, thanks for that! I couldn't figure out how you could tell what voltage was safe, so I skipped buying a cool kitchen appliance. Next trip!!

Another question: Two of the hotels I've booked have usb outlets in the rooms. Can I use those with my iphone/ipad, or do I need to use the "block" they come with, to plug into an adapter? Is it the block that safely converts the power?

Another question: Two of the hotels I've booked have usb outlets in the rooms. Can I use those with my iphone/ipad, or do I need to use the "block" they come with, to plug into an adapter? Is it the block that safely converts the power?

USB is indeed universal but it's not uncommon for the ones in the outlets to be somewhat low powered. It will likely be fine on the iPhone but 'may' not output enough power to charge the iPad, since the iPad needs more power to charge (hence the larger power block). I would encourage bringing the power block for the iPad with you just to be sure since it will work with both the phone and iPad. You can find an inexpensive power adapter on Amazon.

I chose this universal one and have since used it in the UK and japan and will be using it in France/Germany soon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3ABJKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With this, I just connect my 4 port travel power strip similar to:

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-...726&sr=8-3&keywords=belkin+travel+power+strip

to it and all of my universal powered devices can be plugged in at once. I do not have any travel devices that are not universal voltage so it makes it easy to cover iPad, iPhone, Laptop, camera batteries etc.. No matter what I need to charge I can be doing multiple at once.

Last edited:
USB is indeed universal but it's not uncommon for the ones in the outlets to be somewhat low powered. It will likely be fine on the iPhone but 'may' not output enough power to charge the iPad, since the iPad needs more power to charge (hence the larger power block). I would encourage bringing the power block for the iPad with you just to be sure since it will work with both the phone and iPad. You can find an inexpensive power adapter on Amazon.

I chose this universal one and have since used it in the UK and japan and will be using it in France/Germany soon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3ABJKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With this, I just connect my 4 port travel power strip similar to:

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-...726&sr=8-3&keywords=belkin+travel+power+strip

to it and all of my universal powered devices can be plugged in at once. I do not have any travel devices that are not universal voltage so it makes it easy to cover iPad, iPhone, Laptop, camera batteries etc.. No matter what I need to charge I can be doing multiple at once.

Wonderful advice! Thank you! :disrocks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter