Electronic Cutting Machines

jeni16

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking about treating myself to one of the Electronic Cutting Machines this year for Christmas, ie: Cricut, Silhouette, etc. I feel I will use it mainly for scrapbooking (do mostly 8 1/2x11 & 8x8 sizes) and for projects for DS2 (working with letter's, number's, birthday parties, & eventually school projects). I would also like to be able to cut out little treat/gift boxes. I don't mind spending more up front if it means I will spend less over all.

For those that have one or who have multiple ones, which one do you like the best? There are so many on the market, I have no idea where to start.

Does any other company have Disney images besides Cricut? That would of course be a factor as well :)

Thanks for your help!

I have the Silhouette Cameo and before that the original Silhouette. I went with the Silhouette originally because I was interested in the being able to cut any font from your computer (I'm obsessed w/ collecting fonts) I'm not too familiar with the Cricuts to let you know a comparison.

I've recently gotten into SVGs and there's a lot of Disney "inspired" ones out there that I really like. They are graphics that people make (or you can make yourself) to cut out. I also sometimes will take logos and trace them in Inkscape so that I can cut them out.

I purchased the Making Memories Slice Cutter when it first came out. And hubby bought me the Silhouette for Christmas that year. It turned out to be not my thing. I consider myself an advanced user, but I felt like I spent more time finding files and setting the machine up than value. I gave the Slice to a friend and sold the Silhouette on eBay.

When I scrap these days (which is rare) I'm mostly hybrid. I like the look of flat pages.

I have the Baby bug (original cricut), the Create (it's a step up from the baby bug), the E and the E2 (Expressions and Expressions2) and numerous cartridges that cost additional. You can buy digital cartridges now too.. My drawbacks are: most everything is tied to the use of a cart you own....and fonts are limited to what you have on the carts.

I also own the Silhouette Portrait and will by next year own a cameo.. I love the silhouette the most... I can cut out fonts on my computer for titles and layer them.. I can cut out svg files.. I have several disney svg files from a very dear friends and I can cut them out and they look fabulous on my scrapbook pages.

The cricut is great but I find myself using my silhouette more. There is a new Cricut out called the Explore but I have no first hand knowledge of its possibilities. I have heard it also cuts svgs but I don't know for sure.

If you think of any other questions feel free to ask.. Hopefully one of our members who has a Explore can chime in on how well it works.

I still use my cricuts but only for specific things I know where to find quickly.. I use my silhouette for all of my titles unless I know of a specific one of my cricut carts.

Thanks everyone! I've been watching several YouTube videos and am leaning towards the Cricut Explore. The cut & print option just came out, you can cut svg files & use any on the True Type fonts on your computer. Several of the videos I watched directly compared the Explore & the Cameo. The Explore looked like it was more user friendly & that it had cleaner cuts.

It all depends what works best for you.

The silhouette also has print and cut and all my cuts are perfectly clean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter