Electronic tickets vs. Paper tickets

nluvwithdisney

Mouseketeer
I found airfare through Travelocity. I also looked at ATA website to see if the price was the same. Travelocity was charging an extra 13.00 per order to receive paper tickets. I booked through ATA instead. They did not offer an option for a paper ticket. My SIL said I've should have gotten the paper tickets. Have I made a mistake with the electronic ticket? The ATA rep said that the electronic ticket is better for domestic travel. My SIL said that there were a lot of problems after 9/11 with electronic tickets and rebookings, cancelled flights, etc. She heard that things were much easier with paper tickets.

I wanted to get your views.

We have etickets and I hear its actually easier to travel using them at the moment. SO we are pretty confident we wont have problems with them.

As a frequent flyer I can say this: stick with the e-ticket. It is in fact easier to travel with one because many airports now have special check-in areas for e-ticket holders where you go to a machine and punch in credit card number you used to reserve and get boarding pass and then give luggage to attendant at same place; line is usually short or non-existent at the e-booths for airports that have them. The myth that paper tickets are better is just that--a myth.

Disruba is right on the money (as usual) for this. There is really no reason for a paper ticket for domestic travel these days.

Thanks for all your comments. I brought up the same points. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. If there are any other comments, I would enjoy seeing them.

I have used ATA alot of times with eticket and never have had a problem. infact i am booking through them for our trip in June just watching the airfare now until i get the price i want to pay.
mrsmom
allstar resort Dec 95'
holiday Inn sunspree oct 98'
Westgate lakes resort sept 2000
Hotel royal plaza Feb 2001
wyndham palace and spa sept 2001
Westagte lakes June 2002

I'm a secretary and book travel for my people all the time. We had the same question and according to a travel company "It is best to stay with electronic" just in case there is a change in your travel and you have paper tickets you may need to go to the airline ticket counter to exchange for new ticket. Stay with electronic to avoid inconveniences!

I have travelled both ways. The only time paper tickets are better is if your flight gets cancelled and you have to go another airline. You will have problems with an e-ticket and have to stand in two different lines (first the original airline to get a paper ticket and then the new airline). If you have a paper ticket you can just walk up to the ticket counter of the other airline and they have to honor it (FAA rules).

We too have started using E-tickets. We've done it with several airlines (United, American, and ATA), booked through both online services and through the airline websites, and we have never had a problem. I just make certain to bring a printout of all the information. As a matter of fact, I was GLAD we had E-tickets for our Jan. 20th return flight from Orlando. The check-in line looked to be about an hour, but there was virtually no one waiting at the E-ticket check-in kiosks. A great time saver!!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

The travel expert who often appears on the Today Show, Peter Greenberg, is an advocate of always getting a paper ticket for just the reason Miss Jasmine described. But I figure how often is that situation going to happen? I prefer the e-ticket myself! Less to lose track of!

I am sure once he looses one and has to pay for the reissue he will change his expert tune.
LOL :)

If you have a paper ticket you can just walk up to the ticket counter of the other airline and they have to honor it (FAA rules).

The travel expert who often appears on the Today Show, Peter Greenberg, is an advocate of always getting a paper ticket for just the reason Miss Jasmine described. But I figure how often is that situation going to happen? I prefer the e-ticket myself! Less to lose track of!

I was told that this is only true if you have a refundable (full fare) ticket. Most business travelers have to fly full fare so I can understand why they MIGHT prefer paper tickets. However, most leisure travelers use NON-refundable tickets. It is not true that other airlines have to honor other airlines low fare/non-refundable tickets. Even if you have a paper ticket, you will still have to get it validated/approved to use it on another carrier.

I prefer e-tickets for all of the reasons mentioned.

I have used ATA's E tickets out of Midway several times now with absolutely no problems. What's great, too, is you can call ATA and reserve a seat number (just have your reservation number).

Go with the E Ticket.

Cyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter