• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Elfing

katmigordon

DIS Veteran
Up until Covid happened my wife and I would yearly buy several small gifts and then while out Christmas shopping hand them out to random people as an unexpected Christmas present. Obviously the last couple of years we had to shelve this because of the pandemic. Since we're going to be on the cruise this year for Christmas we thought it might be fun to hand these out to random strangers as a return to elfing. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Holiday-Chri...prefix=christmas+light+glasses,aps,123&sr=8-4

Up until Covid happened my wife and I would yearly buy several small gifts and then while out Christmas shopping hand them out to random people as an unexpected Christmas present. Obviously the last couple of years we had to shelve this because of the pandemic. Since we're going to be on the cruise this year for Christmas we thought it might be fun to hand these out to random strangers as a return to elfing. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Holiday-Christmas-Glasses-American-magical/dp/B00HIRV0LQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=36C62RV2QFDAV&keywords=christmas+light+glasses&qid=1670191767&sprefix=christmas+light+glasses,aps,123&sr=8-4
Can't open that link.

Go for it! The worst that happens is that someone declines the gift. Paper glasses are small (and thus easy to transport for both you and the recipients), safe (except for very small children), and interesting even for many who don’t celebrate Christmas.

Sorry they're these cute little paper glasses that turns lights into different Christmas things like snowmen or candy canes. The very first time I tried these was the night of a full moon and I used them to turn the whole moon into a giant snowman.

Can't open that link.

We were on a MDAS cruise and the group that we were chatting with in the Spiderman m&g line gifted my boys stickers and some really nice superhero glasses. It was a great moment.

While the intent is noble, I can tell you I would flat out refuse a gift handed to me by a stranger. There's no way to know if the giver's intent is noble or nefarious. There are too many scams happening this time of year. I wouldn't risk it.

However, if you're doing this on a cruise, you might simply leave your small, anonymous gifts in the fish extenders of random guests. Even in fish extender groups, gifts are often anonymous.

Last edited:
On my Panama Canal cruise I brought tons of little books or the few children onboard. I always asked the parents' permission but they were always well received. If you don't want to hand them out in person you can always "Pixie Dust" them into random fish extenders.

Honestly? I kind of do want to pass them out in person - it's part of the fun for me. It's a moment of random connection via joy and a touch of Christmas wonder.

Like I said we did this every year for years pre covid - we've handed out everything from Christmas ornaments to ipsy bags. What I have always gotten out of it is the present of getting to see their face light up. That moment when two random strangers come together and for one moment aren't strangers anymore. THAT has been the spirit of Christmas for me ever since I was a very little girl.
I loved my presents sure, but I didn't love Christmas for presents - I loved it because it brought humanity together.

And we always focus on the adults. Why? Because adults are the ones who most need to be sparked into a moment of wonder and surprise joy. Because everyone goes out of their way to give that to the kids - but we all forget that adults need that too.

“That’s the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up.”
~Walt Disney

On my Panama Canal cruise I brought tons of little books or the few children onboard. I always asked the parents' permission but they were always well received. If you don't want to hand them out in person you can always "Pixie Dust" them into random fish extenders.

You could ask your cruise group their thoughts on it.

It’s a really sweet gesture but don’t want your taking up valuable luggage space if those who you are cruising with aren’t interested in receiving.

https://www.amazon.com/Holiday-Christmas-Glasses-American-magical/dp/B00HIRV0LQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=36C62RV2QFDAV&keywords=christmas+light+glasses&qid=1670191767&sprefix=christmas+light+glasses,aps,123&sr=8-4
I think it's a wonderful idea! Quite a few years ago my husband and I were attending the Candlelight Processional at EPCOT. It had been a tiring and frustrating day for reasons I won't go into here. So we're sitting there waiting for the show to begin, and a woman sitting in the row in front of us starting handing out candy canes to everyone around her, including us. That little bit of pixie dust and magic really brightened our day! Go for it!

If they are the glasses I’m thinking of, my daughter has received a couple pairs over the years. Really cool! I can’t imagine it takes up significant luggage space. I say bring them and gift them as you like. Folks are welcome to define the offer if they don’t want it, but I doubt that will occur.

I say go for it! We’ve had folks do similar pixie dusting to us (stickers, etc.) and it’s always fun.

If they are the glasses I’m thinking of, my daughter has received a couple pairs over the years. Really cool! I can’t imagine it takes up significant luggage space. I say bring them and gift them as you like. Folks are welcome to define the offer if they don’t want it, but I doubt that will occur.
Agree!

Honestly? I kind of do want to pass them out in person - it's part of the fun for me. It's a moment of random connection via joy and a touch of Christmas wonder.

Like I said we did this every year for years pre covid - we've handed out everything from Christmas ornaments to ipsy bags. What I have always gotten out of it is the present of getting to see their face light up. That moment when two random strangers come together and for one moment aren't strangers anymore. THAT has been the spirit of Christmas for me ever since I was a very little girl.
I loved my presents sure, but I didn't love Christmas for presents - I loved it because it brought humanity together.

And we always focus on the adults. Why? Because adults are the ones who most need to be sparked into a moment of wonder and surprise joy. Because everyone goes out of their way to give that to the kids - but we all forget that adults need that too.

“That’s the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up.”
~Walt Disney
Oh I get it. I'm just not good at talking to other adults. LOL.

Those glasses are SO cool! I send a few out every Christmas to a few lucky friends - worldwide! Always get a good reaction. And there are heaps of lights on the ship that whey should work with. Although my experience has been that the work better with softer lights - the LED ones, not so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter