Ellen Degeneres gets sued

No, I didn't realize that :rolleyes:

It seems that if she wasn't as genuine in real life we would have heard about it by now. Jerks usually reveal themselves. There's a reason no one has written a tell all about her...

Probably non-disclosure agreements...

Probably non-disclosure agreements...

True, but there could be a club owner out there who isn't bound by one who needs money. I may be naive but I just don't see her as a nasty person out of the public eye. I really like Rosie too, but I can see how she could have a mean streak in her, Ellen, not so much.

True, but there could be a club owner out there who isn't bound by one who needs money. I may be naive but I just don't see her as a nasty person out of the public eye. I really like Rosie too, but I can see how she could have a mean streak in her, Ellen, not so much.
I don't see any meanness in her either but of course if someone knows her personally and can say otherwise I'm all ears.

I really don't see a mean streak in her either. I'd imagine those that might have the best stories to tell are contractually bound to not tell them.

Question: Do you think it would be wrong for someone who had legitimate, first-hand, personal observations of Ellen (casual as they may be) selling them to a media outlet? "Wrong-er", say, than Ellen making fun of this realtor's name and showing her phone number on international TV? :scratchin

I don't care for Ellen for various reasons. I think it was in poor taste to mock this woman's name, but it's something that happens. I haven't seen the video or whatever that shows her mocking this woman's name, but it is probably no different than Jay Leno's newspaper segments. However, it was very wrong to show this woman's number. Whoever didn't block out her number in the studio dropped the ball - big time.

Question: Do you think it would be wrong for someone who had legitimate, first-hand, personal observations of Ellen (casual as they may be) selling them to a media outlet? "Wrong-er", say, than Ellen making fun of this realtor's name and showing her phone number on international TV? :scratchin

Yes, I think it's wrong of anyone who 'knows' someone to sell stories for money. I know someone who was involved in a controversy in our city and people were asked me questions about it and him. I refused to answer because he's been a family friend for 30+ years.

I don't think what Ellen did was wrong. The number should have been blocked out, but she also made fun of other businesses and on other segments she's made fun of bad of bad outfits and bad haircuts. I don't think what she did was mean spirited. If it were me, personally, I'd think it was cool that I was mentioned on tv.

Jay Leno did the same thing with his headlines and weddings segments and I don't remember anyone suing him for being mentioned on that. It's out in the public so aren't you open for ridicule, wanted or not?

Yes, I think it's wrong of anyone who 'knows' someone to sell stories for money. I know someone who was involved in a controversy in our city and people were asked me questions about it and him. I refused to answer because he's been a family friend for 30+ years.

I don't think what Ellen did was wrong. The number should have been blocked out, but she also made fun of other businesses and on other segments she's made fun of bad of bad outfits and bad haircuts. I don't think what she did was mean spirited. If it were me, personally, I'd think it was cool that I was mentioned on tv.

Jay Leno did the same thing with his headlines and weddings segments and I don't remember anyone suing him for being mentioned on that. It's out in the public so aren't you open for ridicule, wanted or not?
I find your approval of one and disapproval of the other to be very illogical. You'd maybe find it flattering if you were the object of one of her jests? I wouldn't. I'd be embarrassed and annoyed at being thrust into a 15-minutes of fame I never sought.

I find your approval of one and disapproval of the other to be very illogical. You'd maybe find it flattering if you were the object of one of her jests? I wouldn't. I'd be embarrassed and annoyed at being thrust into a 15-minutes of fame I never sought.

Maybe it wouldn't bother me because I'm a housewife so my name isn't plastered anywhere. I might be singing a different tune if I was getting harassing phone calls all of a sudden and didn't know why.

I have always said I would hate to be famous because of the constant flash bulbs going off in your face. Seeing the scrum that follows the Kardashians daily would be enough for me to go into hiding.

I always thought about sending in my first wedding announcement to headlines (Jay Leno). Our two last names together were pretty funny..

OK, the woman has an unusual name. She's been made fun of before. She's in a business where name recognition, publicity and contacts can be very helpful.

She was at a funeral supposedly, waiting for a call. And got hundreds of calls. Hopefully she had her phone on mute so it didn't keep ringing out loud. So when her phone vibrated, she could look at it and see who was calling. Not the # of the call you're waiting for? Don't answer. Although I'm not so sure what call could be so important that you would need to take it at a funeral.

I think someone's just looking to line her pockets. If she was smart, she'd use the free nationwide publicity to her advantage. Instead she has now painted herself as a gold-digger suing the lady with deep pockets.

If I was looking to buy real estate in her area, I wouldn't be calling TiTi based on her behavior.

Maybe it wouldn't bother me because I'm a housewife so my name isn't plastered anywhere. I might be singing a different tune if I was getting harassing phone calls all of a sudden and didn't know why.
I have always said I would hate to be famous because of the constant flash bulbs going off in your face. Seeing the scrum that follows the Kardashians daily would be enough for me to go into hiding.
I always thought about sending in my first wedding announcement to headlines (Jay Leno). Our two last names together were pretty funny..
:thumbsup2 I bet there's TONS of people who could come up with a similar example and would be thrilled to be "in on the joke" by submitting stuff about themselves. I just find it really over-the-line to thrust this kind of attention on a random person, in the context of her business, without seeking her permission. The comments about it being great publicity and she should be grateful are a load of crap IMO. The show easily could have contacted her (as apparently 100's of others have) and if she was unwilling, cut the piece. That would have been, at a minimum, my expectation for professionalism and class. I'm not in favour of the idea of a lawsuit - not sure how you assess damages for hurt feelings - but I definitely think a VERY public apology is in order.

OK, the woman has an unusual name. She's been made fun of before. She's in a business where name recognition, publicity and contacts can be very helpful.

She was at a funeral supposedly, waiting for a call. And got hundreds of calls. Hopefully she had her phone on mute so it didn't keep ringing out loud. So when her phone vibrated, she could look at it and see who was calling. Not the # of the call you're waiting for? Don't answer. Although I'm not so sure what call could be so important that you would need to take it at a funeral.

I think someone's just looking to line her pockets. If she was smart, she'd use the free nationwide publicity to her advantage. Instead she has now painted herself as a gold-digger suing the lady with deep pockets.

If I was looking to buy real estate in her area, I wouldn't be calling TiTi based on her behavior.
She was on her way to a loved ones funeral and I don't know about anyone else, but in our family, we are in close contact with other family members up until we all arrive at the church/funeral home.

Like how? Do tell! :)

I don't really feel comfortable posting specifics on a public forum.

However, I don't think having a business that you might want publicity for at some point is an invitation for a national tv show to make fun of you. I just think it's wrong, and it would have been easy for the show to call her and ask for permission. Anyone that has a public business should not have to be worried something like that will happen. And making fun of her? In poor taste, in my opinion.

The only thing I think Ellen or her staff did wrong - they should have blocked out the ph number.

I don't really feel comfortable posting specifics on a public forum.

However, I don't think having a business that you might want publicity for at some point is an invitation for a national tv show to make fun of you. I just think it's wrong, and it would have been easy for the show to call her and ask for permission. Anyone that has a public business should not have to be worried something like that will happen. And making fun of her? In poor taste, in my opinion.
You can make the argument that making fun of ANYONE is in poor taste.

IMO however, this lady put her sign and phone number out for the public to see. She then can't complain that the public saw it. Well, she can complain, but she shouldn't file suit, much less win.

You can make the argument that making fun of ANYONE is in poor taste.

IMO however, this lady put her sign and phone number out for the public to see. She then can't complain that the public saw it. Well, she can complain, but she shouldn't file suit, much less win.

I do think making fun of people is in poor taste. Especially people who don't choose to be in the public eye (very different from SNL making fun of Donald Trump). But that's why I don't watch those kind of segments. I also don't think you can make the leap that having a business you may want advertisement for makes it okay for a world famous comedian to make fun of you on the show. Which I said in my previous post. You don't have to agree. But there's a huge difference between local advertisement and someone known internationally making fun of you.

When Ellen did several of her shows at Universal Orlando over 3 or 4 years, I worked at guest services and had contact with her and her staff. Several of my co-workers spent considerable time with her. Everyone, I mean every single one of us, talked about how kind and genuine she seemed. In fact, out of the many celebrities I was in contact with through my job there, she was the most likeable. She never demanded special favors and never even seem to act like she thought she was a star. I also spent a lot of time with her staff and filming crew when she wasn't around and they all appeared to love her. Maybe it was all an act but they sure kept it up for several weeks. Each time she filmed there, she was in the park for 3 to 4 days and her crew was there for at least week each time. So I was probably around them for close to 4 weeks or more counting the shows she did there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter