Embarkation Day lunch

iloveeeyore

DIS Veteran
When we have cruised on other lines, we have avoided the embarkation day buffet lunch chaos, and instead opted for either MDR or specialty dining, depending upon the offerings, menu and specials. But on our first DCL cruise next month, we are really drawn to the lamb chops and crab claws we have seen on multiple trip reports and YouTube videos. We love lamb chops and crab claws! Do I understand that at least one of the MDRs will be open on the fantasy for embarkation lunch? And will the menu include lamb chops and crab legs? How chaotic is Cabanas for lunch on embarkation, anyway?

Thanks!

No crab claws or lamb chops in the MDR. These menus remain pretty accurate, given that DCL update menus about once a decade: https://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/embarkation-lunch-menu/

Cabanas is a mad house.
They do serve crab legs multiple times during a cruise. Not sure about lamb, because buffet lamb chops do not sound great to me because lamb requires delicacy in cooking.

To avoid crowds:
If you are driving yourself or taking private transportation try and get one of the earliest Port Arrival Times and head straight to Cabanas.
Or cabins are available at 1:30 so Cabanas tends to be less busy at this time because people want to get in their cabins as soon as possible. So go to Cabanas at 1:30.
When we arrive we find a table first and get our drinks and then have someone stay with the table as others get food. My family will usually grab me a small plate of shrimp while I wait at the table, they then come back with their full plates and I head out.

To avoid crowds:
If you are driving yourself or taking private transportation try and get one of the earliest Port Arrival Times and head straight to Cabanas.
Or cabins are available at 1:30 so Cabanas tends to be less busy at this time because people want to get in their cabins as soon as possible. So go to Cabanas at 1:30.
When we arrive we find a table first and get our drinks and then have someone stay with the table as others get food. My family will usually grab me a small plate of shrimp while I wait at the table, they then come back with their full plates and I head out.

We do the same thing when we want to have embarkation lunch at Cabanas: either the earliest PAT and straight to lunch, or swim first and then eat after the staterooms are open for business. Best advice I ever got from this forum!

We find Cabanas very crowded, not so chaotic. On the Fantasy and Dream (not sure about the Magic and Wonder), there are different "stations" throughout the restaurant; not just 1 long line. Plus, the buffet is in the shape of a huge horse shoe with the same food on both sides.

We find Cabanas very crowded, not so chaotic. On the Fantasy and Dream (not sure about the Magic and Wonder), there are different "stations" throughout the restaurant; not just 1 long line. Plus, the buffet is in the shape of a huge horse shoe with the same food on both sides.

^ This. I’ve never found it “chaotic,” either. Just very, very busy. The biggest hassle is finding a table. Once you snag one of those, you’re fine.

The wait-til-1:30 thing makes a whole lot of sense. However, for us, the Cabanas lunch has always been the point in time when we finally exhale and let the vacation begin. So we’re willing to spend a few minutes up-front hunting for a table vs. pushing lunch back to 1:30.

I love lamb chops, and the Dream used to have real good ones, but last year they changed them. Now they aren't worth it. They used to have the bone, not now, and they were too thin, very disappointing. Don't get your hopes up for them. They also didn't have the pink sauce I liked for the shrimp. It was a disappointment for my first day. Get there early and head to the buffet right when they open and the crowds aren't bad. 456345

I don't love the buffet on embarkation day (on any cruise line, honestly) as I find it really unwieldy with 3 kids. I LOVED our embarkation lunch at Lumiere's on the Magic. We were seated right away and the food came quickly and I didn't have to maneuver myself around everyone's carryons etc.
I agree. Sitting down in the main restaurant for embarkation lunch is great too!

You're on vacation, enjoy whichever way you like. You earned it!

We have avoided peak times and had no trouble at Cabanas. First two cruises we arrived late (1:30/2pm). It was crowded, but no different than any buffet at WDW. The food was still being refreshed constantly, so no downside to eating late that I could see. Third cruise we got an early PAT (10:45), were assigned to group 5 and went straight there after we boarded and it was EMPTY when we got there, like, fewer than 10 families, and got a fantastic table right by the window and no waits for food. That was definitely the better of the two experiences, but I wouldn't say it was bad either time. By the time we left around 1pm, it was definitely more crowded than the times we arrived later, but it didn't seem unmanageable: you would just have to wait in line at the stations.

The lamb chops and crab were delicious :D

I don't remember lamb chops, but the crab legs are in Cabanas (Fantasy anyway) every lunch. If you want to try Cabanas and want to avoid the rush, get there early and grab a table or get there later and grab table. Don't forget there is outdoor seating, too, but it's more of a hassle to be opening doors with plates and drinks in your hands (no trays).

We were on the Dream last month and had lunch at Cabanas on embarkation day. I was concerned about the crowds and chaos during embarkation after reading posts on here, but it was totally fine.

We chose Cabanas because my kids were starving after a very early morning flight and the bus to the port - I wanted to be able to feed them immediately. And also because my husband wanted to try the lamb that Corey and Craig from the Dis always rave about. He was not disappointed. I loved the crab legs!

We had no trouble finding a table at 12:45. Sure, there were lots of people, but it was not overwhelming to us at all. We kind of liked all the activity and excitement around us. Everyone smiling, ready for a good time.

We have 2 little kids so sometimes buffets can be tough - getting their food and our food in multiple trips, but we were able to grab what we needed pretty efficiently. I’d do Cabanas for embarkation lunch again in a minute.

I loooove Cabana's for lunch on embarkation day. The excitement you feel in the dining room as everyone is coming on for the trip they've waiting months, if not years, for! This is going to sound weird, but it's like the anticipation and fervor you feel as you're heading into Walmart on Black Friday! If you need to throw some elbows to get to those crab claws or snag a table if you got boarding group 15, then do what you gotta do!

We were in boarding groups 7 and 2 on our last two cruises. We headed right to Cabana's. Tip: don't wait for the main elevator; go down the hall to the aft elevator. It lets you out right in Cabana's on deck 11 (on Dream and Fantasy anyway) and there isn't the huge line that the main elevator usually has. Tip two: if you can, eat outside! It's nice, and for us being from Ohio we'd rather eat outside if we have the chance. Sometimes it will be wall to wall inside but few people venturing outside.
This time we are relying on DCL transport from WDW so we'll see what time we get there, but I still plan to eat in Cabana's on day 1.

We have lunch at the quick serve by the pools pretty much every day, as the crowds at Cabanas are always hard, and people aren't polite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter