Embarkation day suggestions?

ShablamE

Mouseketeer
I've seen a few random videos and read several trip reports but I'm sure there are also some tid bits of knowledge floating around in random spaces around the message board or unposted. The question is how does everyone handle Embarkation day, what are your must do checklist items once you get on board. I've seen suggestions for checking into the various levels of kids clubs to ensure they're able to get into whatever activities they want to do. I've seen suggestions for doing the virtual muster asap just to get it out of the way, and then doing MDR for lunch.

We're going to be going on our second Disney Cruise in November and I feel like our first time went well but it was a lot of trial by fire, we boarded late because our transportation was running late and then we were their last drop off. Once on board we hit Cabanas and then the pools/slides until our room was ready, but there was a fair bit of wondering if there was something else we should be doing at that time so that things later went smoother. I believe I had read to check on the Anna and Elsa meet which I did and managed to get a time for while on board.

But what are the seasoned sailing veterans doing during this time to ensure a smooth cruise experience?

What to do when you get onboard depends on what you were able to do before the cruise.

If you were unable to get the dining time/table size/adult dining reservation you wanted beforehand, you will want to contact Guest Services (or however dining changes are currently being handled) once you're onboard.

If you didn't get other activity reservations (such as spa, beverage tastings, excursions, character meets) before the cruise, you can investigate availability for those as well.

If your kids are ages 3-12 and signed up for the Oceaneers Club/Lab during online check-in, you may be able to confirm their reservation and pick up wristbands for them before boarding. If you didn't, you'll want to do that before activities get going onboard.

If your kids want to attend Edge or Vibe, you can stop by to make sure they are registered. If they are just shy of the official age but want to attend, you can go with them to ask a castmember whether that's possible on your cruise.

If your kids will have sign-out priviledges, you may want to walk them around the ship so they know how to get back to your room or other places they may want to go. (You may not be able to go all the way to your room before 1 pm or so, but you can identify paths from each stairwell.)

I haven't cruised since the "virtual" muster drill began, but getting that out of the way makes sense.

Then getting lunch and hanging out on the pool deck until your room is accessible sounds like a fine plan to me. I'm not a pool fan, so I usually eat a leisurely lunch in whichever main dining room is open, look through the day's activities on the app, and check whether there have been changes to locations since my last cruise.

You'll be on vacation -- relax!

Last edited:
3 cruises in this is my current/future plan:

1. check with dining services/bar about any outstanding issues (tables/reservations/tastings)
2. virtual muster drill check in
3. lunch in AP
4. check into room if available
5. unpack what's there
6. visit kid's club for open house
7. more unpacking

Thank you both for the responses, another item on my list since Mommb mentioned checking the navigator in the app, is to make sure everything in the app is working for me once on board. Last time we had issues with this and once you're out at sea getting these problems fixed can be difficult or impossible.

Usually we go straight to lunch. The last few cruises we've gone to whichever main dining room is doing lunch. It feels more civilized than cabanas.

If we're trying to get a Palo reservation or something, we usually do that right away.

Usually by the time we've had a leisurely lunch, our room is just about ready. We go check it out, maybe change into bathing suits, then hang out by the pool or do mini golf or whatever.

In the past there was often a spa raffle around 3 pm. On our last cruise (April) they didn't have the in-person raffle but you could fill out a ticket and they'd let you know if you won.

They sort of funneled us to the virtual muster drill almost immediately last time. That worked great.

So we have done all of the different versions. A few times we have boarded in our bathing suit and immediately gone to the AquaDuck and rode that like a half-dozen times in an hour and then went to lunch at Cabanas then our room was ready so went there.

Another time we did a quick cabanas lunch because there was a ship tour happening at 1:30 pm and we wanted to go on that.

The muster drill now seems to be where they take you once you board which is nice to get out of the way for sure.

We have done the MDR also when the weather was not cooperative or we were not interested in being in the water immediately. When on a new ship for the first time, after lunch we often just explore the ship and figure out where things are and having a blast doing it.

Whatever you do - it will be the best choice since you made it. There is no wrong choice so don't fret, just enjoy - you will be on vacation after all!

Anyone with a recent Navigator know what time they close the Oceaneers Club open house on embarkation day? We are big kids but were told that's our one time to get to go and see if for ourselves :)

On embarkation day are the hours for the MD lunch the same as Cabanas? Thanks!

To the best of my knowledge - cabanas lunch is longer (if I remember around 3:30 pm ) vs MDR ending earlier. It might be changed now post covid but this is what I recall.

On our cruise, we were concierge, so we met with the concierge staff first to go over our itinerary, then we went to lunch, at Tiana's. I don't really like the madhouse that is Cabanas, especially with very small kids, to me table service is a lot more relaxing even if you have to wait a bit longer for food. Then we dropped our bags in our room, checked the kids into the kids club and got their wrist bands, and went to muster. I don't know if I'll ever sail concierge again since I don't feel comfortable booking non-refundable trips with Covid, but the only thing I would change to this line up would be hitting up guest services first if I wanted to book adult dining/spa services/tastings.

To the best of my knowledge - cabanas lunch is longer (if I remember around 3:30 pm ) vs MDR ending earlier. It might be changed now post covid but this is what I recall.
That was my sense (and it is true every day - MDR lunch is open a shorter period than Cabanas).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter