• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Emma Watson as Belle

davedray

Earning My Ears
I am new to The DIS community, but so far I am loving the podcasts, website, and lurking in the boards. I LOLed when the host of The DIS unplugged said he hated Emma Watson as Belle when talking about the live action Aladdin. I am a fan of her as Belle, but just the way it cam out was hilarious! But can we all agree Christopher Walken as King Louie singing "I Wanna Be Like You" was super creepy!

... But can we all agree Christopher Walken as King Louie singing "I Wanna Be Like You" was super creepy!

While I liked that the scene had a darker tone closer to the book, the singing and the interpretation was such an insult to Louis Prima! I found it very uncomfortable and cringe-worthy to watch.

I don't really get the dislike of Emma Watson as Belle. They wanted a big name that was the right age for the part. That being said I don't think will smith fits as the Gine as I don't really seem him as comedic actor anymore, plus he lakes the ability to adlib something and I'm worried that they will just have him copy most of what RobinWilliamss did as the genie rather then have him try and improvuse anything at all.

Here is just a conversation piece, and I know this is just opinions, but do you think if Robin Williams had been alive and healthy, Disney would have cast him?

I kinda think it would have at least been seriously considered, even if they probably wouldn't have ended up doing so. I think that just shows what big shoes WS has to fill.

Yeah, I wonder if Smith is up to it. It will be interesting to see how the script is played, in the Aladdin stage show at DCA the Genie was clearly the star, his dialogue changed regularly to keep his humor fresh and he had the final curtain call.
I wonder if the movie will be more romance based or comedy.

I don't really get the dislike of Emma Watson as Belle. They wanted a big name that was the right age for the part. That being said I don't think will smith fits as the Gine as I don't really seem him as comedic actor anymore, plus he lakes the ability to adlib something and I'm worried that they will just have him copy most of what RobinWilliamss did as the genie rather then have him try and improvuse anything at all.

I do think since they have experience with doing Aladdin on stage at DCA and also on Broadway without Robin Williams in them and they didn’t just copy his lines or anything.

I'm a little surprised they didn't go with James Iglehart who played Genie on Broadway who got rave reviews (and a Tony), but I guess they wanted the big name star. Most people wouldn't have recognized James Iglehart.

This is actually a problem with most Disney/Pixar films anymore, both live action and animated. They want top names that everyone recognizes. If you look at many of the Disney animated classics, the voice actors are names nobody knew then and often still don't know. I personally sometimes find it difficult to get into a movie, especially an animated one, when the voice actor has a very distinctive recognizable voice because I keep picturing that person. I wish they would go back to lesser known talent sometimes.

This is actually a problem with most Disney/Pixar films anymore, both live action and animated. They want top names that everyone recognizes. If you look at many of the Disney animated classics, the voice actors are names nobody knew then and often still don't know. I personally sometimes find it difficult to get into a movie, especially an animated one, when the voice actor has a very distinctive recognizable voice because I keep picturing that person. I wish they would go back to lesser known talent sometimes.
Yes and no. Other than Will Smith there aren't any major actors in Aladdin. Moana had an unknown talent as the voice actor there. Dumbo has a few big names, Lion King obviously has a lot of huge names.

Yes and no. Other than Will Smith there aren't any major actors in Aladdin. Moana had an unknown talent as the voice actor there. Dumbo has a few big names, Lion King obviously has a lot of huge names.
True. There are examples both ways.

The worst example I still remember was when they cast Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon in one of the Star Trek movies. He has such a recognizable voice that I could just never get the actor out of my head to see him as the character.

I still haven't forgiven Ryno and Craig for their "hot" takes on Beauty and the Beast and Emma Watson as Belle. Maybe someday, but not yet. I am looking forward to hearing Will Smith sing as Genie and not just appear on a magazine or in a trailer. :genie:

I'm a little surprised they didn't go with James Iglehart who played Genie on Broadway who got rave reviews (and a Tony), but I guess they wanted the big name star. Most people wouldn't have recognized James Iglehart.

That is changing a bit - starting with Rapunzel they had Mandy Moore and Zach Levi ... Frozen had/has Kirsten Bell, Idina Manzel, Josh Gad,

but definitely not to the extent of other studios animation projects which seem like a listing of the "trending names of the year" when you see the cast

Moana specifically was an unknown actress, but it did have The Rock. He's a pretty big name.

Moana specifically was an unknown actress, but it did have The Rock. He's a pretty big name.
Exactly. The whole cast might not be stars but there’s usually at least one big name to advertise. I get why they do it. I just sometimes find it distracting.

Certainly the big stars often deliver amazing performances like Genie or Mufasa or many others.

Exactly. The whole cast might not be stars but there’s usually at least one big name to advertise. I get why they do it. I just sometimes find it distracting.

Certainly the big stars often deliver amazing performances like Genie or Mufasa or many others.

They could put the Rock in every movie and I'd be good with it. Have him rowing a lifeboat by Rose in Titanic. Making clay vases with Demi Moore in Ghost. Dancing with Baby at the end of Dirty Dancing. You name it, I'm fine with him in it. :rotfl2:

I am new to The DIS community, but so far I am loving the podcasts, website, and lurking in the boards. I LOLed when the host of The DIS unplugged said he hated Emma Watson as Belle when talking about the live action Aladdin. I am a fan of her as Belle, but just the way it cam out was hilarious! But can we all agree Christopher Walken as King Louie singing "I Wanna Be Like You" was super creepy!

"The Jungle Book" (1967) is on my top 10 Disney movies list.

There were things about the remake that I liked (CGI was good), but I did not like the music being in the movie.
If they had put the music during the credits, then maybe it would have been o.k.

I didn't like Christopher Walken and Bill Murray in the movie and particularly didn't like their singing.

As far as "Beauty And The Beast" goes the original animated version is second on my list (behind
"Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs"). I also liked the live/CGI remake and don't have any issues
with Emma Watson playing the role of Belle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter