"Emotional Support" Dog on Delta Flight Mauls Stranger Next to It

When I got my first apartment my cat was an emotional support animal as they didn't allow pets and my doctor thought it would be a smart idea to get an animal to help with depression and anxiety. It actually helped a ton. But I confined her to my own apartment, and didn't let it affect anyone else. Wouldn't use the loophole to drag her on an airplane or out in public.

If I'd been the one bitten, I can guarantee that dog wouldn't have been on the next flight.

How so? Someone in authority cleared the mutt to fly later.

Unless you mean the dog wouldn't be alive to take any flight ever again.

I would sue both- I think emotional support animals are a crock of crap anyway- if you need that much support then stay home with your pet.

Delta's hands were pretty much tied.

Bring a stuffed teddy bear if necessary, but stop this ESA farce like it's a legitimate need.

I have never been in favor of suing, but in this case I think the victim should sue both the owner of the dog and the airline.
They should sue the DOT. Delta was simply following the law.
Quarters are just too restrictive for a dog of that size. You feel like a sardine in a can already! I can't imagine having my 50lb dog with me on a plane. Maybe they should buy first class? Or was this in first class?
Most likely coach, because the victim was in the middle seat.
It may not be an ADA issue per se, but under ADA guidelines it's acceptable to ask what a service animal is trained to do.
Airlines are subject to the ACAA, not the ADA http://servicedogcentral.org/content/ESA-flying
I know another family that was displaced by a hurricane last fall. They had to go stay at a hotel. They found one that would take their dog but found a cheaper one that was pet free. So, they claimed the dog was a support animal and the cheaper hotel could not deny their bringing the dog.
The hotel (any hotel/motel) is specifically exempt from the FHAA https://www.certapet.com/faq/what-is-the-fair-housing-act/. They have to comply with the ADA, but emotional support animals aren't included. That family pulled an amazing scam on the hotel!!!

Perhaps but I'm seeing a lot of focus on the aspect that it was an emotional support dog whose presence on the flight is being questioned-approximately half the posts revolve around ESA in the negative way.

To me suing Delta would do nothing unless you could guarantee that the airlines all came together and pushed for exemptions so they could deny boarding to emotional support animals completely no ifs ands or buts.

And that's exactly why the victim needs to sue the airline. As much as I hate law suits, they get the attention of the courts and Delta and other airlines could push for exemptions on future flights.

And that's exactly why the victim needs to sue the airline. As much as I hate law suits, they get the attention of the courts and Delta and other airlines could push for exemptions on future flights.
I respectfully disagree. I understand the logic but its not who is responsible for emotional support animals being allowed on board. It's not a Delta policy it's a DOT policy. Now Delta along with other airlines could fight the DOT, and as I understand it they are trying to, because it would help mitigate their exposure. The victim could even sue the DOT.

The latter

Again, how so? I'm not saying you wouldn't be justified in killing the vicious dog, but realistically how could that be accomplished on a plane? Snapping its neck somehow? Or smashing its brains in with some object?

Again, how so? I'm not saying you wouldn't be justified in killing the vicious dog, but realistically how could that be accomplished on a plane? Snapping its neck somehow? Or smashing its brains in with some object?
Is it really necessary to go through details such as you are asking about? I think we get the gist of the poster's feelings on the matter withou going in depth on the matter.

Is it really necessary to go through details such as you are asking about? I think we get the gist of the poster's feelings on the matter withou going in depth on the matter.

No, it's not necessary, but I'm genuinely curious what he has in mind, since the original response seemed like a gut reaction rather than something feasible. He's free to answer or ignore my question.

No, it's not necessary, but I'm genuinely curious what he has in mind, since the original response seemed like a gut reaction rather than something feasible. He's free to answer or ignore my question.
Yes but honestly having a poster ask questions such as yours is unsettling..my goodness does the thread need to turn into all ways we can imagine killing a dog. Perhaps a PM might be better?

Perhaps but I'm seeing a lot of focus on the aspect that it was an emotional support dog whose presence on the flight is being questioned-approximately half the posts revolve around ESA in the negative way.

To me suing Delta would do nothing unless you could guarantee that the airlines all came together and pushed for exemptions so they could deny boarding to emotional support animals completely no ifs ands or buts.

I think it is really great that mental health issues are being recognised and not stigmatised now, however I do think it is getting a bit far when people can take turkeys on planes because they are anxious.....

I think people are generally accepting of trained service dogs such as seeing eye dogs and understand that animals can give positive emotional support (it's why people have pets after all) but really if you can't make it to the grocery store without your pig/dog/cat/turkey you need to be receiving more professional help

When I got my first apartment my cat was an emotional support animal as they didn't allow pets and my doctor thought it would be a smart idea to get an animal to help with depression and anxiety. It actually helped a ton. But I confined her to my own apartment, and didn't let it affect anyone else. Wouldn't use the loophole to drag her on an airplane or out in public.

See I think it is ok for emotional support animals in the home, I think let's are great for dealing with anxiety and depression, I do however feel strongly that emotional support animals shouldn't be allowed in public in any way that a pet isn't (theme parks, restaraunts etc)

My guess would be to either break it's neck, stab it with something on hand like a pencil or I was always told to rip its front legs apart if you are being attacked.

Details aren't necessary. I survived a dog attack as a child only because another dog came to my rescue. Today I'm a lot bigger & stronger than a 50 lb dog and I've had a lot of years to consider how I'd react to the same situation today. I love dogs, right up until the point they try to remove my face. I have no patience for that.

Bring a stuffed teddy bear if necessary, but stop this ESA farce like it's a legitimate need.

I agree. So sick of "emotional support animals" being EVERYWHERE.

When your animal is trained extensively like a seeing eye dog or a seizure alert dog, then you may bring it wherever you go. Then I will believe that you have a safe animal to be taking on planes or public transit.

But getting an online certificate for your pet should not be allowed. Bans need to start now. This is getting out of control. I am surprised attacks aren't more widespread.

Last edited:
See I think it is ok for emotional support animals in the home, I think let's are great for dealing with anxiety and depression, I do however feel strongly that emotional support animals shouldn't be allowed in public in any way that a pet isn't (theme parks, restaraunts etc).
They aren't.
ESAs are only allowed in housing (that wouldn't normally permit pets) and airplanes.

His gf then says "Oh, that's ok, we'll just tell them it's our emotional support dog. The police can't kick us out if we tell them that, it's against the law". I told them both that was stupid and irresponsible to say in front of DD because it is not a licensed emotional support dog and they all know it. It's people like that that are ruining it for the people who actually need the animal around. I believe some people need the support of a trained animal. I also believe people with support animals (emotional or not) should have proper documentation available at all times and if they cannot provide that documentation, they go home.
They would (should) have been kicked out. ESAs are not service dogs and would not be allowed.

I do agree with you about the documentation. Because that opens the door for people who want to just lie and say their pet is a service dog.

The hotel (any hotel/motel) is specifically exempt from the FHAA https://www.certapet.com/faq/what-is-the-fair-housing-act/. They have to comply with the ADA, but emotional support animals aren't included. That family pulled an amazing scam on the hotel!!!
I think this is very common for two reasons: 1. most people don't understand the difference between a service animal and an ESA and 2. businesses are not allowed to require documentation. I think that puts business owners in a position where they feel they have to allow anyone who makes any sort of claim about their dog being allowed so they won't offend the customer or get in trouble with the ADA.

I have a trained and certified therapy dog. I'm sure I could bring him to a hotel or store where pets are not allowed because most people don't understand the difference, but I don't because I know that he is not a service animal and therefore not allowed.

Details aren't necessary. I survived a dog attack as a child only because another dog came to my rescue. Today I'm a lot bigger & stronger than a 50 lb dog and I've had a lot of years to consider how I'd react to the same situation today. I love dogs, right up until the point they try to remove my face. I have no patience for that.

Yep. I am also a victim of a dog attack. It is very traumatizing. In everyday life, I have bear spray at all times. I will play in my mind how I will protect myself over and over while out walking.

But in an incident like on a plane? I know what I would do. And it wouldn't be pretty. And I don't care.

Pets (and that is what an untrained ESA is) on airplanes and in stores and on public transportation make me very nervous. Right off the bat, I know the owner is a bit "off" to be proclaiming they can't leave the house without this animal. I know they aren't going to take the time to put me first during an attack.

I agree that the ESA are getting out of control and used to get thru loopholes by unfortunate people.

I actually have an emotional support dog (in my picture) that my doctor recommended I get for my depression/anxiety. I would NEVER think to try to pass her off as a service dog. She has no training, she has just shown that she can help me with my issues that medication doesn't help. If I go on vacation, she stays with family or gets boarded. She has never come with me anywhere that dogs weren't already welcome. Heck, I'm trying to find a dog friendly apartment right now and it is hard!!! It really sucks that people want to break the rules like this, because nothing good comes of it for those that really do have service animals or need ESAs in other ways.

What a joke. The pet owner is the one who should be sued for bringing her untrained dog on the plane. Delta doesn't have a choice but to accommodate the idiot and her pet because of feel-good farcical interpretations of well-intentioned, but badly executed laws. I'm shocked however that they again accomodated the idiot and her pet on a subsequent flight. The victim should sue her and demand that dog be given the dangerous animal label it deserves.

But can you imagine the press if someone potentially disabled wasn't allowed to fly because they needed an animal companion? Because you know who the press would vilify...

Hang onto your hat, because I just saw something recently about someone in the MI legislature sponsoring a bill to allow dogs on restaurant patios if the patio is not accessed by taking the dog through the restaurant first. Notably, the law up until now has required patios to be inaccessible without coming through the restaurant because of alcohol sales laws.

I like dogs. I've owned dogs. I like eating on patios. I do not want to eat with dogs on restaurant patios, no matter how pleasant the dogs are.

I don't mind seeing eye dogs, or seizure dogs, etc.

But an untrained yorkie someone just needs because leaving them at home might make them sad, so EMOTIONAL SUPPORT!....Nope.

In short: trained and licensed dogs: yes. Untrained, possibly unwarranted dogs: no thank you.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter