Emotions Running High

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corey, I continue to be appreciative of your openness and communication with us fans. I will however say I was hoping that the webmaster involved in the disputes yesterday would be removed and striped of her webmaster duties. I’m concerned that allowing this webmaster to continue in her role is directly contradictory to the direction we want to see this business moving in. I’ll give credit that perhaps more is happening behind the scenes that we are not privy to in regards to that situation. I hope that all members of this community can feel like their voices are heard and not silenced when offensive and anti-semantic racist remarks are spoken and called out.

I can see that emotions are running high within our community, as anticipated. This is evident from the passionate discussions and comments being shared. We're all navigating through a challenging period, but I want to emphasize that we should not see ourselves as victims in this situation. I want you to know that I genuinely understand the emotions you're experiencing, and I'm actively reading each and every comment and email.

In light of this, I've spoken with our Webmasters and Moderators and requested that we take a more lenient approach to actions such as banning, thread deletion, and issuing infractions. I want to clarify that this isn't an invitation for chaos; rather, it's a temporary measure aimed at fostering a level of openness that we haven't experienced before. This approach will remain in place until I have the opportunity to assess the broader picture and reevaluate what strategies are effective and which ones aren't. I’ve also requested that anyone in a position of authority here, take a breath before responding. Nobody wants to be attacked, so I’m hoping we keep the ones directly involved at the forefront.

I understand that it's human nature to seek answers and perhaps point fingers in various directions, expecting a comprehensive account from all of us. However, it's important to acknowledge that we are constrained by legal limitations in terms of what we can share openly. While I share your desire for transparency, please know that our ability to provide a complete narrative may be restricted due to these legal considerations.

Your understanding and patience during this period of transition are greatly appreciated.

If you are not comfortable responding, my email is corey@disneyinfo.com

Corey
Thank you, Corey! We appreciate your leadership during these trying times. I know it can't be easy for you right now.

Thank you Corey. You continue to be the one voice in authority worth listening to and are very much appreciated.

However I do have to add to the calls for removing any webmaster or moderator that abuses their power as we witnessed yesterday. I appreciate that you're working with them and trying to change the culture, but considering how ugly she caused that thread to turn it's going to be very hard to accept that she's still in any position of authority.

The alleged rapist....is gone. I know some of us are wound up about this, but some grace for the people trying to pick up the pieces is warranted as well. Just my thoughts on the matter.

I trust Tyler Crouch when he says other members of the DIS let Pete get away with it. Isn't it odd that the best and brightest never lasted at the DIS? Shouldn't that tell you something?

It's been a long time since I've been on the DisBoards, but I wanted to say thank you for this. As a future organizational psychologist, I know you all (DUT et al.) have a long road ahead and I wish you the best navigating the upcoming changes!

There are ways of expressing that sentiment that don't involve denigrating a historically-persecuted group of people.

And there are DEFINITELY ways of addressing an error that are better than a "sorry if you felt offended" non-apology.

Pretty sure you do something like that in a legitimate corpo environment you'd be fired immediately. Is a moderator even paid? Not sure what you lose by just getting rid of them. People don't forget.

I trust Tyler Crouch when he says other members of the DIS let Pete get away with it. Isn't it odd that the best and brightest never lasted at the DIS? Shouldn't that tell you something?

I hear you, on the environment. It was toxic, but the malignant narcissist has left the building. I believe things will only improve from here. I think they're likely all shellshocked over there. This guy was a big part in all of their lives and *poof*, he's gone....because what he's done is egregious. I think everyone deserves some grace in this situation.

I will also say that this particular moderator has been kind to me.....a couple of times during the Covid wars, she would let me know I needed to dial it back over whatever we were battling over without doling out points or bans. The moderator who went by Doc....who I believe isn't around anymore, was *brutal*. He gave me points constantly, gave me bans for up to 10 days, etc. And he seemed to enjoy it....sending snarky messages when he gave out points. That was around the time when it was decided by the bosses that we weren't allowed to discuss the biggest pandemic that has happened in the last 100 years......which was ludicrous.

Her biggest misstep was abusing her power by going back and editing her comment and removing others’ posts that called her out in order to hide and cover up her original statement. Had she confessed, owned it and apologized sincerely in the moment than people could move on.
Instead she scrambled to hide it. No other poster has the ability to do that. The thread was reinstated, but it is not the same thread that existed prior to her machinations. Her eords and actions are completely opposite of what Corey is encouraging. She is clinging to toxic ways versus wanting to create a new culture here that lines up with Corey’s vision.

I know. I was watching....she tried to "moderate it away", which is something I said in another thread. Again, I think age comes to mind....she made a reference that was totally inappropriate....people flipped out, and I think she panicked a bit and tried to make it go away. I think we all need to remember though that people can learn from situations like this. Who knows, she may decide that she doesn't want to do this anymore.

This whole affair with Werner has shone a huge light on the moderation of the boards, which is an environment that was likely heavily influenced by the guy that's gone. I mean, let's keep things in perspective. A moderator with a trigger finger can try to see if she can do better. It's not like she (allegedly) embezzled 900 thousand dollars and (allegedly) drugged and raped people. I'm also tired of having to say allegedly when I wholeheartedly believe the victims.

I know. I was watching....she tried to "moderate it away", which is something I said in another thread. Again, I think age comes to mind....she made a reference that was totally inappropriate....people flipped out, and I think she panicked a bit and tried to make it go away. I think we all need to remember though that people can learn from situations like this. Who knows, she may decide that she doesn't want to do this anymore.

This whole affair with Werner has shone a huge light on the moderation of the boards, which is an environment that was likely heavily influenced by the guy that's gone. I mean, let's keep things in perspective. A moderator with a trigger finger can try to see if she can do better. It's not like she (allegedly) embezzled 900 thousand dollars and (allegedly) drugged and raped people. I'm also tired of having to say allegedly when I wholeheartedly believe the victims.
It would be different if this was her first incident, but she has been like this for yeaaaars

Her biggest misstep was abusing her power by going back and editing her comment and removing others’ posts that called her out in order to hide and cover up her original statement. Had she confessed, owned it and apologized sincerely in the moment than people could move on.
Instead she scrambled to hide it. No other poster has the ability to do that. The thread was reinstated, but it is not the same thread that existed prior to her machinations. Her eords and actions are completely opposite of what Corey is encouraging. She is clinging to toxic ways versus wanting to create a new culture here that lines up with Corey’s vision.
This too is one of my biggest concerns. I felt I had to follow the thread in 'real time' because I was afraid that I would miss posts that would get deleted-it was happening almost as soon as some posts were made. The webmaster in question has been fairly aggressive, rude, and sarcastic over the last week, which is problematic. But using their webmaster privilege to try to erase some of this problematic behavior and shift the entire 'vibe' of a thread screams abuse of power. Us regular posters do not have the ability to delete posts. And while I understand a webmaster needing to have that power, that power should be used to protect the community, not themselves. The things said were bad enough, but then going back and deleting/editing things in what I can only surmise was an attempt to cover it up is a really bad look.

I also take umbrage with the messaging that we should just get over it. The shiva comment was its own issue (which has already been covered, so I won't belabor that point). But, I also take issue with the general overarching theme. As I said in that post in response, it is none of our places to tell someone else how to deal with trauma. And while we are not victims in the sense that Pete Warner didn't do anything directly to us, it's entirely possible people are feeling secondary or vicarious trauma because of things that have happened to them in the past (I have seen some share that over the past week). Telling people to just get over it or get through it is incredibly dismissive, especially in light of what has occurred.

Once again another professional statement from Corey, he definitely seems to be stepping up to the plate and becoming the leader this company needs. My biggest hope watching this drama from the sidelines is that Corey and leadership don't fall into the lawyer trap which happens so often with small businesses facing similar crises. Lawyers by nature always tell their clients to remain silent, which is great advice for the courtroom but when you're running a company leadership always has to balance legal liability with PR, which is almost always the biggest downside risk with these types of issues. Openness, transparency and clear communication are almost always the best policy to navigate these problems and cost less in the long run. We shall see what they do, but Corey seems to be the kind of leader who gets it at least from his professionalism thus far.

I will add to the chorus to remove that Webmaster from her duties. She is known to be a close friend to John and Kevin, and her bias towards protecting them clouds her judgment and ability to hear dissenting points of view. No one this close to the owners should be in a position of power on these boards save for you, Corey. We don't need to be censored by the owners BFFs.

By the way, Corey, very impressed with your attitude and statements so far. You seem to be the only one treating this with the gravity it deserves and you should be commended for that. I am confident that if anyone can keep this site and community going, it's you.

I’ve been part of this community since before the 1999 server crash and we all had to re-register and start our post count over. I want to say I first joined in 1997 or 98. I eventually became a client of DUT and a listener/watcher of DIS Unplugged. I’ve happily planned vacations, counted down the days, reported on my trips and shed tears during rough times with this community. The DIS has been my Disney home for 25+ years.

The reports of the horrible SA angered and saddened me greatly. My heart goes out to all the victims including those that may not have come forward yet, or never will. Also to those that had to endure the trauma from PW’s harsh and belittling comments and actions just so they could keep a job and provide for themselves and their families. So many cringing moments during the LIVE broadcasts…I won’t go into it further because so many others saw it too and it’s already been discussed in other threads.

Thank you Corey for your professionalism and I believe you are THE person to lead this company and community through the crisis. I do believe the DIS magic can sparkle again.

Last edited:
By the way, Corey, very impressed with your attitude and statements so far. You seem to be the only one treating this with the gravity it deserves and you should be commended for that. I am confident that if anyone can keep this site and community going, it's you.

I echo this 100%. I'm sure your hands are tied on what you can tell us but these posts you start help immensely.

@WebmasterCorey , I just want to say thanks for this post. I think it embodies what people have been hoping to read for several days now. We don't have a lot of answers, and may not for a while, but at least you have acknowledged and written, in black and white, that you are aware of the situation, that you intend to deal with it to the best of your abilities (and have, in fact, already started to do so) but there's a limit to what kind of answers we will be getting due to legal advice. I think a lot of us suspected this was true, but were just hungering to actually have someone *say* it. Thanks for that. I know it must all be hard, but hopefully this will all be worth it in the end.

Sayhello

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter