Emotions Running High

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am seeking clarity on this.
I sincerely apologize if it seems like I am not moderating threads to yours or anyone elae’s satisfaction. I am in a village in Spain (9 hour’s difference from where I live). I am visiting family and so haven’t had the opportunity to read all the threads for continuity. I only have small opportunities to grab my phone to respond to reported posts. As much as I care about this community, I don’t want to lose the opportunity to catch up and spend time with family.

I also want to get guidance from Corey so we are consistent, but I am not going to interrupt his time with his daughter who just had surgery and his family.

I am doing the best “I” can do to support the Disboards at this time. Some reports are obvious and easy to handle. Some reports are for the type of posts we are accused of overmoderating, and since I am not sure I don’t delete just because the person that reported the post thinks it should be (sorry for the long sentence).

I also do the best I can to treat everyone with respect, or at least civilly, and moderate with the intent to follow the guidelines.

I think clarity will come after Corey has shared his decisions with the moderating community so we better understand the path forward.

Rather than risking penalty just respond in a DM…. I can’t deny having a little fun with the other post. The thread has been understandably heavy, but the sky isn’t falling. Apologies if you didn’t appreciate my lighter tone.
I hear you and I'm sure that was your intent. If the goal is levity, maybe find a good knock-knock joke, share something you've heard in Monsters Inc Laugh Floor or Jungle Cruise, or something else (but my guess is the goal is less about cheering everyone up). Making a joke about consent particularly in the context of people being raped is really gross (and I am genuinely unconcerned if that appears to be a personal attack: some behaviors aren't worth celebrating - you are likely a good person but that action isn't a good action). Making a joke about consent doesn't lighten anything up - it just makes a lot of people around you uncomfortable and wonder if you're inappropriate towards others because many times people "tell on themselves" with comments like this (PW certainly did in many podcasts). It may be that you're an all-around good person who happens to be routinely insensitive in discussions about sexual assault (and if that's the case, maybe this could be a wake-up call). As I said earlier, I found it physically revolting. There's a reason many people point out that good humor doesn't "punch down".

Anyway, in terms of levity, I think that my hope that someone got stuck at the end of "it's a small world" was pretty tame. Feel free to tell me to visit the ending of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride 😉.

I sincerely apologize if it seems like I am not moderating threads to yours or anyone elae’s satisfaction. I am in a village in Spain (9 hour’s difference from where I live). I am visiting family and so haven’t had the opportunity to read all the threads for continuity. I only have small opportunities to grab my phone to respond to reported posts. As much as I care about this community, I don’t want to lose the opportunity to catch up and spend time with family.

I also want to get guidance from Corey so we are consistent, but I am not going to interrupt his time with his daughter who just had surgery and his family.

I am doing the best “I” can do to support the Disboards at this time. Some reports are obvious and easy to handle. Some reports are for the type of posts we are accused of overmoderating, and since I am not sure I don’t delete just because the person that reported the post thinks it should be (sorry for the long sentence).

I also do the best I can to treat everyone with respect, or at least civilly, and moderate with the intent to follow the guidelines.

I think clarity will come after Corey has shared his decisions with the moderating community so we better understand the path forward.
Thank you Mary Jo for stepping up to the plate on this issue. I'm sure it is a difficult position to be in right now and I appreciate your efforts.

I understand the need for guidance, but could you provide the reason my thread below was held for review, and then ultimately deleted? Why would it be threatening or against board policies to have a post about how much we love the new video format? Especially within a forum that is dedicated to DisUnplugged / Youtube content?

1691930719506.png

I understand the need for guidance, but could you provide the reason my thread below was held for review, and then ultimately deleted? Why would it be threatening or against board policies to have a post about how much we love the new video format? Especially within a forum that is dedicated to DisUnplugged / Youtube content?

View attachment 785017
That's a little odd. Now I want to go watch that video tho!

View attachment 785017
I am sorry- I didn’t delete the thread, so can’t comment on it.

View attachment 785017
Would love to know this as well. As it basically now seems like it’s some “Pete lover” who doesn’t want anyone to see that team is already doing things differently and people are liking it. This reeks of censorship on behalf of one ex member.

Mary Jo, honestly just leave it and go enjoy your family. Time in Spain with family is sooooo precious!!

Corey deserves times with his family but YOU DO TOO!!

This is a dumpster fire, but EVERYONE else on the team who is PAID is taking time to travel and enjoy their summer. They are not sacrificing anything.

Go be with your family.

If they have time for pretzels and ice cream, so do you! :)

View attachment 785017
The thread was not deleted and is currently visible. Since I could not monitor things while I was in the hospital with my daughter, I temporarily set new threads on this forum to be approved in case there was something extremely inappropriate that we could not get to in time.

I got the same when I tried to create a new thread, which I now see has been approved 40 minutes later. So it seems someone has turned on Admin Approval for this section. I also created a new thread in the California section which has gone through fine and shows up in the New Posts filter, so the admin approval for new threads is not on my account, but on this entire section.

Its like someone is stealthly doing things to censor and hinder and then when they get called out on it, its removed, reversed so that it can be said nope thats not happening.

Two steps forward, one step back, nodding in agreement that what happened in the past was wrong, but at the same time just carrying on with how its always been, cos, you know, thats how we do things here. The pattern of undermining authority continues, the one upmanship with webmasters, make it pink, make it blue, and all thats left is Cinderella miserable in a destroyed dress.

admin approve.jpg

I got the same when I tried to create a new thread, which I now see has been approved 40 minutes later. So it seems someone has turned on Admin Approval for this section. I also created a new thread in the California section which has gone through fine and shows up in the New Posts filter, so the admin approval for new threads is not on my account, but on this entire section.

Its like someone is stealthly doing things to censor and hinder and then when they get called out on it, its removed, reversed so that it can be said nope thats not happening.

Two steps forward, one step back, nodding in agreement that what happened in the past was wrong, but at the same time just carrying on with how its always been, cos, you know, thats how we do things here. The pattern of undermining authority continues, the one upmanship with webmasters, make it pink, make it blue, and all thats left is Cinderella miserable in a destroyed dress.

View attachment 785028
Read my comment above.

Thanks. I don’t think anyone expects you to give up family time to be here. I’ve never witnessed you being rude or snarky to posters here; I was surprised by the report comment last night though but can understand the frustration with how things are right now. I also think that the criticism from others isn’t necessarily directed towards you. I’m looking forward to seeing future decisions to make moderating consistent across the platform.

I understand. I think maybe it’s best to back off and wait for that direction tho. Maybe I’m not correct in that thinking but when the vast majority are here discussing the inconsistency of this and you and others continue to make things worse it’s a bad look. If something isn’t egregious I don’t see the need to over moderate right now. Enjoy your trip.

All of this chaos and confusion is Pete’s fault. Period.

I actually appreciate this open discussion of moderation. Back in the day you would just get your points or deletion or banning.

I will never understand why anyone reported my post last night unless it was the OP of the post I criticized. No real reason for anyone else to.

I was told to report posts or ignore. I don’t want to do either. We should be able to confront victim blaming and defending of a predator.

If something isn’t egregious I don’t see the need to over moderate right now. Enjoy your trip.
Agree. I actually think that the threads in this sub-area have been well presented and far less controversial and inflammatory than, say, “discussions” about masks. Given the subject matter, this shows a high degree of self-restraint and self-policing. When a Doubting Thomas shows up, they are rebuffed with facts and in every instance the doubter has backed off or backed away. And when poorly received “jokes” are made about the subject matter, the collective displeasure is made known and amends are made. I’m actually quite amazed about how this has all unfolded and I don’t think tight moderation is necessary or warranted to prevent this from going “Off the Rails.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter