Enchanted Tiki Room

One thing about the traditional version...it's great for the very young.

I've been going to WDW since I was very small, almost since MK opened. When I was very small, I went on attractions like PotC and HM, and enjoyed them- but the Tiki Room stood out (along with a few others) because there was nothing scary in it.

For me, that was part of why the tiki god version stood in contrast. (in addition to Iago, and the annoying preshow) Not that the tiki god scared me, but for very small kids it reinforced the idea that most WDW rides have a scary element.

I really think Walt wanted to make most of the attractions non scary so small kids could enjoy them.

I think that's part of why TSM is such a big hit. I love rides like EE, but it's great when Disney adds true 'family appeal' attractions.

Count me as one that hated the iago\zazu version. i had never seen the original but i loved that they changed it back to be similar its so calming and relaxing and I always get lets all sing like the birdies sing stuck in my head

however when i went to DCA recently and saw their aladdin musical spectacular the genie grabbed the iago puppet and called him a tiki room reject me and my mom laughed so hard :rotfl2:

I saw this "original/traditional" version of the Tiki Birds yesterday for the first timw since the 1980s. I thought it was great, and I am glad they did away with the New Management.

I think it helps to see it in context ... I imagine back in the 1970s (and before?) this was way ahead of its time. Imagine the era and the level of everyday technology that was available, a TV and radio perhaps? Then imagine guests walking into this beautifully themed tiki room, and it literally coming to life! Moving and talking and singing birds, and gosh even the birdcages rotate in sync, and the audio is coming directly from the birds themselves! And look, now the wood carvings are singing ... and we are surrounded by all of this.

I would imagine it would have been amazing in its time, and historically I still marvel at Walt Disney, and this living, breathing, tiki room is still an example of Disney's and the Imagineers genius. I am not exaggerating, sure i like playing the Toy Story Mania oversized video game, and it's kinda neat (sometimes) to see my head superimposed on the animation in Spaceship Earth ... but for me the Enchanted Tiki Room is the real deal, a perfect example of how Disney uses technology to create art.

Saw the original when I was, much, much younger so I don't remember much.

Saw Under New Management in 2010 for the first time...it was...eh.

I got the biggest enjoyment out of hearing Don Rickles and Phil Hartman (miss that guy) in the preshow.

I can't imagine how terrible the Stitch version is at Tokyo Disneyland.

This January I took my GF to see the original version, partly as a joke. I'd remembered hating it as a kid, I hadn't seen it since the early 1980's. I never saw the New Management one because once you've been scarred, you're scarred for life.

Or so I thought. We sat through the "new" "original" show and loved it. I can't even figure out why, but loved the song and the cheesy jokes. It was one of our unexpected highlights.

I totally missed the memo that they had changed the show back to the original version. I was neutral on the UNM version but missed the original, then I grew to hate the UNM because it made my then-3-year-olds cry hysterically and claw at me to get out of there. I don't think we even went in on our last trip when they were almost 5. Now they're 6.5, the same age I was when I first fell in love with the Enchanted Tiki Room at Disneyland, so I am very excited to take them back and tell them there are no more scary surprises!

I am so glad they got rid of the UNM. Iago was annoying. I grew up with the original and that is the one i prefer.

shellie may said:
however when i went to DCA recently and saw their aladdin musical spectacular the genie grabbed the iago puppet and called him a tiki room reject me and my mom laughed so hard :rotfl2:

Now that's good humor!

I do like the 'something old' is 'something new' part of it. :)

They're using that idea in EPCOT, too, right?...with Michael Jackson, but......:confused3 hah!

:)

when the "under new management" show came. I thought it was cute but being a Disney "purist" I wished for the authentic old version that Walt visualized. When the original show came back I was excited to see it after all these year.

Shy of the full length version of the Tiki Room song, the original fell short. I think it's just one of those things that we outgrow?? The show needed the cute humor and flash the "under new management" version offered. IMHO.

What happened to the fountain part of the show? When did they discontinue that?

In the UNM version, there was a major AudioAnimatronic "tiki god" (Polynesia. by name) in the center of the room.
To install that character, they pulled out the water and other effect mechanisms of the fountain.

When they reverted to the current version of the show, they did not reinstall the fountain mechanism.

Was thrilled to see Iago and Zazu go. That show was The. Worst. It rivaled Dinosaur and Stitch's Great Escape for fastest headache induction. I'm so happy to have the charming original version back, even if it is abbreviated.

:confused3
I just had to share how we're all different and how that happily makes the world go round- we never saw the original show, and really disliked the newly reformatted original show- missed iago and zazu terribly, in fact skipped tiki room altogether on our last trip.

I love dinosaur, it's my favourite ride in ak and stitch is a family favourite for us all.:cool1:

My DD grew up with the "under new management" version and thinks the new/old version now is boring and we've skipped it the last two trips! personally I like them both :)

In the UNM version, there was a major AudioAnimatronic "tiki god" (Polynesia. by name) in the center of the room.
To install that character, they pulled out the water and other effect mechanisms of the fountain.

When they reverted to the current version of the show, they did not reinstall the fountain mechanism.

Thanks! I've been wondering about that for some time.

On a recent trip to WDW we knew ahead of time that the "Under New Management" version had been scrapped. We had enjoyed Iago and Zazu, which I thought added humor and a more upbeat vibe while still preserving parts of the original. That being said, we visited the Tiki Room, with an open mind hoping that we would like the "restored" show.
Now normally I like the classics, as I rarely ever miss the Carousel of Progress ,Hall of Presidents, and even IASW, but I have to say the current Tiki Room is dull with a capital D. It was cool in 1963 when audio animatronics was a new thing, but almost 50 years later (yes it is that old) it doesn't hold any real appeal or possess entertainment value for me. Can't imagine stepping foot in there again, which makes me sad, but here's hoping they come up with a way to capture my interest once again. Until then I will just have to be content listening to the catchy theme song on my iPod.

I absolutely LOVE that the Tiki Room has been restored. Hated UNM, love it all over again now. The only thing I miss is Phil Hartman in the preshow.

I didn't like "Under new management" The songs were 10 years old when it was introduced. I like Zazu but that's it. Iago just annoyed. And they cut the original Tiki birds song. Evil:crazy2:

I prefer the original one. More relaxing and vintage 60's Tiki. Which I love. I'm okay that they cut the sing along part of the Let's all sing like the bridies sing. No one ever did anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter