End of Sept or mid November?

KalamityJane

DIS Veteran
When would you go? It’s cheaper to go in Sept but hotter; Christmas stuff will be starting to go up in Nov and weather may be more tolerable.

We haven’t been back since 2015 (covid plus WDW APs kept us on the east coast), and I’m trying to plan a trip hopefully before my 2yo turns 3 in Dec.

How are the crowds (especially given we’d be near Gay Days or Dapper Days)?

Would you book GCH or DLH?

September is not only ridiculously hot most of the time, but you'll get those Santa Ana winds, and they can be brutal. But crowds may definitely be diminished because schools will have just started back up. November is definitely nicer weather wise, and if you're a fan of Nightmare Before Christmas, they'll have the overlay ready to go at Haunted Mansion. I've always been told that the week after thanksgiving is pretty quiet, so if you're willing to travel right around the thanksgiving craziness, that might be something to keep in mind.

We love going in Nov. The weather is perfect! We’ve been there when Dapper days are going on and didn’t notice a huge difference in crowds. You’re going to get a variety of opinions on which hotel. We prefer DLH. We like the nostalgia. It’s also a little bit cheaper than GCH.

GCH is a nice hotel, and the lobby is gorgeous. The rooms are very nice, but they don’t have the same Disney feel or touches that the DLH has. May or may not matter. I feel DLH is more kid friendly (mine love the lighted headboards, the pool, goofys kitchen). You cannot beat the closeness of GCH, although DLH is just a 10 min walk through downtown Disney.

Watch some videos of room tours!

September is not only ridiculously hot most of the time, but you'll get those Santa Ana winds, and they can be brutal. But crowds may definitely be diminished because schools will have just started back up. November is definitely nicer weather wise, and if you're a fan of Nightmare Before Christmas, they'll have the overlay ready to go at Haunted Mansion. I've always been told that the week after thanksgiving is pretty quiet, so if you're willing to travel right around the thanksgiving craziness, that might be something to keep in mind.
I was worried about the heat! My husband and kids tend to not do as well in heat. We went in the beginning of Oct before and it wasn’t awful but I think cooler may be better. I also adore the NBC overlay on Haunted Mansion!

We love going in Nov. The weather is perfect! We’ve been there when Dapper days are going on and didn’t notice a huge difference in crowds. You’re going to get a variety of opinions on which hotel. We prefer DLH. We like the nostalgia. It’s also a little bit cheaper than GCH.

GCH is a nice hotel, and the lobby is gorgeous. The rooms are very nice, but they don’t have the same Disney feel or touches that the DLH has. May or may not matter. I feel DLH is more kid friendly (mine love the lighted headboards, the pool, goofys kitchen). You cannot beat the closeness of GCH, although DLH is just a 10 min walk through downtown Disney.

Watch some videos of room tours!
We’ve stayed at both and I’m debating just doing a split stay starting at DLH and ending at GCH so we get both (and the longer walk is at the beginning 🤣) Hubby prefers GCH, I prefer DLH. Glad to hear Dapper Days isn’t overly crowded! I was worried it might be too much, and I know that’s the start of the Christmas season ❤️

Depending on when in September you go, you might also be able to go to the Oogie Boogie Bash. We’ve gone over September for the past several years (shutdown excluded), and it’s fun to visit when the Halloween decorations are out. The downside is late September starts to get really busy.

Christmas time is pretty amazing at DL. This is my first time in a long time not going at Christmas time. I’ve always had an amazing time and love the Christmas decor. It is super fun to see the characters and their little winter outfits. I love all the food. I love all the wreaths in each land. Car’s Land is ADORABLE at Christmas. Christmas decorations are simply stunning at Disneyland.

Yes, the fall Dapper Day this year is November 12, which will be Veterans Day weekend and the first holiday weekend. It will be very crowded.
We’re arriving on the 12th but not going to the parks until the 13th- do you think the rest of the week will be crazy, too? Or just the weekend (probably including that Monday)? I mean, we’re going then regardless because this is likely a one and done for us to celebrate my 40th and I want all the holiday overlays but just want to be sure I know what we’re getting ourselves into. 😂 (We‘ll be at DLH 13th-17th, 5 day hoppers with G+.)

We’re arriving on the 12th but not going to the parks until the 13th- do you think the rest of the week will be crazy, too? Or just the weekend (probably including that Monday)? I mean, we’re going then regardless because this is likely a one and done for us to celebrate my 40th and I want all the holiday overlays but just want to be sure I know what we’re getting ourselves into. 😂 (We‘ll be at DLH 13th-17th, 5 day hoppers with G+.)
I think that will be perfect actually! The Monday and possibly Tuesday might be a little busier from Dapper Day folks who extended their trips, and evenings might be a little busy from the locals coming in to see the new holiday decorations and try the holiday foods, but I think it should be reasonable, and far less crazy than the Fri-Sun will be!).

I think that will be perfect actually! The Monday and possibly Tuesday might be a little busier from Dapper Day folks who extended their trips, and evenings might be a little busy from the locals coming in to see the new holiday decorations and try the holiday foods, but I think it should be reasonable, and far less crazy than the Fri-Sun will be!).

I agree.

I've been in November when it's 90 degrees and I've been when it's 60 degrees. It's hard to predict. Last year I went the week after Veterans Day and it was in the 70s and quite chilly at night. I'd choose a week based on whether you like the Halloween or Christmas decorations and treats better.
I've been reading and hearing a lot about how the crowd patterns at Disneyland are changing. Because locals are often blocked out on weekends, there are fewer locals and tourists sharing the park then, and Sundays are notably lower crowd days because tourists are finishing their vacations and locals can't go. I was there last November from Wednesday to Saturday and it was quite crowded, particularly in the afternoons. With Genie+ and a good rope drop strategy, though, we could stay ahead of the crowds.

It's not even close - go in Mid-November. Back when we were homeschooling, that was the time we always went. Christmas decorations were up, weather was great every time, nearly every ride open. Versus Sept with lots of closures, blistering fall SoCal heat (about the only time of year it hits triple digits), and the mix of normal DL and Halloween DL.

Go in November. You won't regret it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter