End of the Disneyland Show??

I am so bummed. Although it hasn't been the same since they moved it to Orlando with Tom just on skype. There's so much content out there for just a Disneyland show. Things change all the time. I'm sure they must have reasons, but I'll still miss it. There's plenty of vloggers out there covering new things at Disneyland, but I liked the deeper discussion of it all. Oh well. #bringbacktomtonynancymaryjoandmichael

The OG podcast crew made me fall in love with Disneyland before I ever stepped foot in the place.

Three of them responded to me personally on Facebook with tips before my first trip. Those tips made all the difference.

I still haven't met any of them, and probably never will, but I consider them friends, even from a distance.

I agree - I really enjoyed the format of the OG version - wsa very entertaining, introduced me to Micheal Bowling, and talked about what makes Disneyland special and made me want to go there some day (and we did a few years ago)

I guess maybe the format didn't work for what the DIS Unplugged is trying to do (I know they want everything to be video and obviously they want things that create more business for Dreams Unlimited) but I would welcome a return to what once was

What fascinated me about the OG DL crew was how much detail they seemed to know off the top of their head. Much easier, of course, when you're dealing with two parks and three hotels, as opposed to four parks and 1,764 hotels, but Mary Jo would say something like "It's over by that one tree in New Orleans Square" and Tom would be like "Oh, you mean the tree with the one branch that dips down over the railing?" and Nancy would be like "YES! That's the one!" and Michael would be like "Walt actually snapped a branch off that tree once in 1963 and smacked Marty Sklar across the back with it" and Tony would be like "WHAT'S A GOOD PLACE TO EAT IN BISMARCK I'M AT THE RED ROOF INN".

I guess maybe the format didn't work for what the DIS Unplugged is trying to do (I know they want everything to be video and obviously they want things that create more business for Dreams Unlimited) but I would welcome a return to what once was

It’s not just the format, it’s the interest level in general for DL content. Have a look over at YouTube and you’ll quickly find that the weekly DL shows do generally about a third or less of the views the weekly WDW shows do. It’s not just the Dis team either, it’s an across the board thing that there’s more demand for wdw content than any other park. It’s also worth remembering that each hour long show takes not just the hour for the show; but another hour of setup, post production etc. It’s a lot for a business to put into when the return is so low, and don’t forget that the DisUnplugged is a business channel the same way TheDis is, and the same way TimTracker and countless others are. Yes they’re fans but it’s also their livelihood, and we need to remember that on occasion.

I agree but the Universal show does the same or worse. The DVC show actually doesn’t do any better, except when they are doing specific resort coverage which garners more general interest.

If it’s by YouTube numbers the Universal show would be the first to go, but it’s Craig’s baby. Craig is a passionate fan/expert and it’s based in Orlando, not sure how you improve the views.

The DL video show though arguably has a format that didn’t have much chance for success from the get go.

It's not my position to comment on any business decision that is made, but I respect the decisions. There are many factors that go into these decisions and some of them have been touched on in this thread and others haven't. The changes we made to the show doubled our audio audience from what it was before and performed solidly on YouTube, but if we are going to invest time, money and energy into something we cover then it has to be justified. Remember, DIS Unplugged is just one small facet of The DIS and Dreams Unlimited Travel and even though it's easy to make up storylines based on being able to see a visual number, you're only looking at the tip of the iceberg.

The Disneyland team had their groove niche and gelled well together. Then Pete took it over and booted everyone from their posts it never recovered.

It also was great when Pete is at the helm, but otherwise it was boring and dry. Nothing bad to the replacement team, but otherwise I just didn’t have any reason to tune in and listen.

It's not my position to comment on any business decision that is made, but I respect the decisions. There are many factors that go into these decisions and some of them have been touched on in this thread and others haven't. The changes we made to the show doubled our audio audience from what it was before and performed solidly on YouTube, but if we are going to invest time, money and energy into something we cover then it has to be justified. Remember, DIS Unplugged is just one small facet of The DIS and Dreams Unlimited Travel and even though it's easy to make up storylines based on being able to see a visual number, you're only looking at the tip of the iceberg.
I am looking forward to the last episode of the Disneyland Show. I tend to watch almost every video that the Dis Unplugged makes.

The Disneyland team had their groove niche and gelled well together. Then Pete took it over and booted everyone from their posts it never recovered.

It also was great when Pete is at the helm, but otherwise it was boring and dry. Nothing bad to the replacement team, but otherwise I just didn’t have any reason to tune in and listen.
I enjoyed the original show too, but Pete decided changes had to be made and part of that was increasing a stalled audience by bringing it to video and it did, so I'm not sure why you are telling us that it never recovered? We work long hours to do the things we do, but getting together late on a Sunday night wasn't something that was in the picture to make it work with the original team and when we did record on Tuesday's, most of them were at work and not available unless planned far enough ahead, and even sometimes plans would change at the last second.

I enjoyed the original show too, but Pete decided changes had to be made and part of that was increasing a stalled audience by bringing it to video and it did, so I'm not sure why you are telling us that it never recovered? We work long hours to do the things we do, but getting together late on a Sunday night wasn't something that was in the picture to make it work with the original team and when we did record on Tuesday's, most of them were at work and not available unless planned far enough ahead, and even sometimes plans would change at the last second.

You have opinions I agree and disagree with, and this is mine. Appreciate the effort that goes into everything you do.

disappointing. i would like to listen to other disneyland podcasts if anyone has any recommendations just for me to change things up.
Happy Chanukah, Happy Kwanzaa and Merry Christmas and happy new year , looking forward to enjoying listening to the podcast that you offer for 2020. I began with the dis being my first podcast to listen to but now I have ventured out and enjoy numerous types and genres without relying on one anymore to make my week which has helped with inconsistencies. whatever comes in my feed great, otherwise, i have many others too which makes for more balanced listening for me and less frustrations.

I was a fan of both versions of the show. I am sad to see it go especially as I work towards planning my first Disneyland trip. I do think I preferred the original version though with people based in CA. I love Craig and Ryno but basing a Disneyland show in Orlando just didn't seem to work as well. I do hope Disneyland content continues after this.

I was a fan of both versions of the show. I am sad to see it go especially as I work towards planning my first Disneyland trip. I do think I preferred the original version though with people based in CA. I love Craig and Ryno but basing a Disneyland show in Orlando just didn't seem to work as well. I do hope Disneyland content continues after this.

I wonder if what could work is covering any big Disneyland news on the main Tuesday show and then on the Dreams Unlimited Travel show they could cover planning a trip to Disneyland - maybe record it when Tom Bell or others from out there are in the Orlando area

I do agree having something that helps WDW people plan trips to DLR is valuable but not sure if you need a dedicated weekly show for that

I wonder if what could work is covering any big Disneyland news on the main Tuesday show and then on the Dreams Unlimited Travel show they could cover planning a trip to Disneyland - maybe record it when Tom Bell or others from out there are in the Orlando area

I do agree having something that helps WDW people plan trips to DLR is valuable but not sure if you need a dedicated weekly show for that
Yeah I do hope there are still Disneyland aspects covered. Its the original park and has a lot going on right now that is important to talk about.

While i liked the new format, it was more so because I could watch Ryan and Craig discuss their thoughts on chocolate and I'd prolly watch.

The new show suffered mostly because it's hard to do a show with people over skype/facetime like this.
I know this was essentially what the old DL podcast was (audio only, but still skyping eachother), but it played off worse in this format.

It's too bad Tyler+Katrina were let go/quit, because they could have potentially put together a more structured west-coast version.

I know they tried in his (apartment?), but it visually looked awkward with everyone scrunched together on one sofa.

I agree but the Universal show does the same or worse. The DVC show actually doesn’t do any better, except when they are doing specific resort coverage which garners more general interest.

If it’s by YouTube numbers the Universal show would be the first to go, but it’s Craig’s baby. Craig is a passionate fan/expert and it’s based in Orlando, not sure how you improve the views.

The DL video show though arguably has a format that didn’t have much chance for success from the get go.

Hopefully Universal Edition stays! I miss the trio of when Jenni Lynn and Oliver was there, but i still enjoy their weekly shows. Seems looser than the main DW show

I am so sad about this. DL is my favorite park, and while I’m a loyal listener of most of the dispodcasts, this is the one that helped me most in my trip planning. I’ll get to DL close to every year, but WDW every 5 or so. I was just gearing up to put out a gentle request that the Orlando folks step back a hit and give more space on the show to the folks in California-I love Craig and Ryno on the USO show, and Craig and Michael are an amazing team on Connecting with Walt, but the dynamic just didn’t work for me on the DL team-it ended up being long meandering odd monologues with very little input from the California folks. Oh well! I loved the original team, and would love a DL show that focuses on those of us who travel there. I do recommend Mousetalgia and Disney Dish for some DL content and would love other DL podcast recommendations.

Last edited:
I'm sad to see it go. I preferred the original DL team. I always looked forward to the blue hour on Sunday nights. Disney World and Disneyland give off different vibes and I felt that the DL team did a good job representing DL. I do hope the Dis Unplugged continues to carry some DL news. Perhaps a monthly show? Thank you DL team for all your hard work!

What fascinated me about the OG DL crew was how much detail they seemed to know off the top of their head. Much easier, of course, when you're dealing with two parks and three hotels, as opposed to four parks and 1,764 hotels, but Mary Jo would say something like "It's over by that one tree in New Orleans Square" and Tom would be like "Oh, you mean the tree with the one branch that dips down over the railing?" and Nancy would be like "YES! That's the one!" and Michael would be like "Walt actually snapped a branch off that tree once in 1963 and smacked Marty Sklar across the back with it" and Tony would be like "WHAT'S A GOOD PLACE TO EAT IN BISMARCK I'M AT THE RED ROOF INN".

#accurate
The OG Disneyland team's dynamic was fantastic! I will miss the charm of these shows very much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter