Enormous Dude

Maybe the airlines need to make the jet bridges more narrow. If you have a tight squeeze walking down the jet bridge you won't fit into your seat. And, before I get flamed, I too am overweight but DO fit totally in my set space.

Gary - Thanks for the update. Sounds like Southwest gave you appropriate compensation and don't worry about people posting erroneous information here; happens all the time.

DMIL was a person of size. Flying home from a cruise she wore a caftan that made her look massive and when we checked in, SWA "suggested" she might need a second seat. We assured them we'd just put a skinny grand kid in the middle seat next to her, and all would be fine. Since DMIL had mobility issues, she used a wheel chair in airports, and DH pushed the wheel chair onboard (medical pre-board.) When I boarded with the designated skinny grand kid, the flight attendants were nervously watching to make sure the grand kiddo was comfortable. I sat next to them in the window seat and everyone was happy.

I realize OP didn't have this option, but just wanted to point out that SWA (or at least the employees we've dealt with) were very aware of people of size.

DH and I just flew home Monday night and one of the last to board was a tall, very broad-shouldered pro baseball player. His connecting flight had been delayed and only middle seats were available. He really needed an aisle seat so he wouldn't encroach on anyone's space. The flight attendant offered free drinks if someone in an aisle seat would move to the middle seat. No one budged. I'm sure it was an uncomfortable 4-hr flight for all three people in that row.

Gary....hopefully you have noticed that the vast majority of posters haven't questioned your honesty. Keep posting.

On another note.....can we stop using the word 'ooze', when discussing fellow human beings? Ooze belongs in discussions about mud or cream puffs!!!

Sounds like the same guy who sat next to me a couple years ago on a flight on Frontier from Denver to Indy. Frontier has assigned seating, and I had an aisle seat. There was a slightly large lady in the window seat. The plane was almost ready to leave, and this huge guy gets on all in a sweaty fluster and takes the seat next to me. It was good I was sitting down first He was sort of on top of me on for the entire flight. I joke that when the plane hit some turbulence I didn't flop around like I usually do. I was cold on the first leg of the flight from SNA to Denver, but this guy solved that problem. I suppose I could have asked to get a different flight, but, it was a business trip, the last flight back to Indy, which isn't served well by Frontier, Sunday afternoon, and I had to get to work on Monday morning.

... I suppose I could have asked to get a different flight, but, it was ...
You don't ask to get a different flight. You ask to get an unoccupied seat on "this" flight and you expect that the airline will cave and accommodate you prior to departure.

When traveling for business, or rather, at any time, you yourself should not jump up and eagerly volunteer for a bump. You do not want this situation to look like raising a complaint in order to score a bump voucher.

Last edited:

no matter what the armrest is going down...and I wish I could think of something to go between the seats to prevent/discourage any overhang. Maybe the laminated plane thingy that is usually in the seat pocket???

I am a person of size. I don't need a belt extender, but I do "overflow" (less than 1 inch) on the next seat. I HATE flying anything except SW. When I fly SW, I pre-buy an extra seat. I am then pre-boarded with the medical pre-boards (to ensure I can get two seats together). I take the window seat and more often than not, the aisle person wants to buy me a drink since they are also reaping the rewards of my purchase. Typically I offer the aisle seat to use of the under seat area of the unoccupied middle seat giving them space for their feet in front of them. I wish I could afford to buy an extra seat for international travel!

You don't ask to get a different flight. You ask to get an unoccupied seat on "this" flight and you expect that the airline will cave and accommodate you prior to departure.
Which is great if there IS an empty seat. Airlines try their best to fill every seat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter