Enough connection time at Heathrow

Thank you all for your helpful advice, I really appreciate it!

I won’t book the 1 hour layover.

Do you think the 2 hour 25 min layover will be enough time or should I keep looking for other options?
Of course the nonstop is ideal but like you said, you lose a day with your son in Spain, although you'd lose a day anyway if you got delayed. I think the 2.5 hour layover is fairly safe barring you don't encounter anything extreme in terms of delays.

If you aren’t wedded to a specific airline/alliance, try something like Google Flights to see what routing options are available (but then go to the airline’s site to actually book).

In my experience, no. Heathrow is TERRIBLE. Though you'd be going through the EU security line, which seemed to move faster.

We went through Heathrow twice, BOS-LHR-DUB and back, and they made us go through the UK security line, which does not move. They actually made us go rebook our connection before they even let us get in the security line because an hour was not enough time.

We avoid going through Heathrow at all costs now.

Thank you for all the responses!

We are now looking at adding days on both ends of the trip.

We could fly nonstop on Aer Lingus into Dublin arriving in the morning, explore the area all day, and spend a night there.

The next day, we could fly to Barcelona on RyanAir. There are several options that day.

After visiting with our son, we could fly back to Dublin and spend a couple nights there before flying home on a nonstop flight.

This obviously adds more time and cost to our trip, but we can make that work. It seems like it would be more relaxing and a wonderful vacation. We’ve never been to Dublin before, so we are excited to look at this option.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

We could fly nonstop on Aer Lingus into Dublin arriving in the morning, explore the area all day, and spend a night there.

The next day, we could fly to Barcelona on RyanAir. There are several options that day.

After visiting with our son, we could fly back to Dublin and spend a couple nights there before flying home on a nonstop flight.

This obviously adds more time and cost to our trip, but we can make that work. It seems like it would be more relaxing and a wonderful vacation. We’ve never been to Dublin before, so we are excited to look at this option.

This seems like a much better solution. I would avoid Heathrow at all costs if you can. I used RyanAir to go from Kraków to Prague last year and it was fine - just be aware that they will nickel and dime you for everything, especially excess baggage.

I've only been through Dublin myself on the way to Edinburgh but I've heard it's an awesome town. Have a great time.

Well according to the various people on our cruise it's quite common, that's actually how we found out about it was from another passenger who explained the process before that we didn't know and then yeah sure enough that's how it was for us. In any case I sure wouldn't count on a jet bridge with an airport that utilizes other ways because they simply don't have enough spaces for all the planes.

Terminal 5 at Heathrow is the BA hub so will always have a jet bridge for their planes. And for majority of the flights that go through that airport

There is an option to have a 2 hour & 25 minute layover instead.

I’m trying to maximize my time in Spain as I’m visiting my son for only a week.
We go through LHR all the time BOS-EDI. Take the 2 hour layover. Terminal 5 is large a they do not post your gate until the last minute. We have had times when we had Fast track but it was not availabl. We have had times when the escalator was down and there was a massive queue at the lift. Worst case you’ll have a little time to grab a sink, a snack and use the toilet befor boarding. An hour gives you absolutely no wiggle room.

I was talking about landing in Heathrow not leaving it.

Still majority of planes will go to a jet bridge/gate, especially BA flights as they will always go to Terminal 5 as that is their hub/terminal.

Planes can easily wait to get onto a gate/jet bridges, especially the bigger airlines

Still majority of planes will go to a jet bridge/gate, especially BA flights as they will always go to Terminal 5 as that is their hub/terminal.

Planes can easily wait to get onto a gate/jet bridges, especially the bigger airlines
I'd rather let someone know of the possibility than they be surprised. I'm glad someone told us, I bet the girls behind us on the plane wished that too so they could have factored that in.

Just be careful with luggage allowances on Ryan Air - if you have a generous allowance on your long haul you may end up paying quite a bit to get it booked in on Ryan air.

I don't know if you have your heart set on Dublin but there are also Air France Flights to Boston - stopping at CDG. As your on a disney board this might be a chance to pop into disneyland paris for a couple of days. Taxes would likely be a bit cheaper as well.

Just be careful with luggage allowances on Ryan Air - if you have a generous allowance on your long haul you may end up paying quite a bit to get it booked in on Ryan air.

I don't know if you have your heart set on Dublin but there are also Air France Flights to Boston - stopping at CDG. As your on a disney board this might be a chance to pop into disneyland paris for a couple of days. Taxes would likely be a bit cheaper as well.
Thank you for the information.

My husband and daughter-in-law have Irish roots, so we are thinking this would be a great time to go to Dublin for a mini vacation added on to our Barcelona trip.

We will book the upgraded airfare on RyanAir.
Thanks for the heads up.

As pointed out Watch your Luggage weight on Ryanair Very strict

Good news is that From USA you land at terminal 2 , then a 15 min walk Via Passport Check to Terminal
1 for the RyanAir flight

No NEED for UK Sterling £ money as Republic of Ireland Use Euros ( € ) as does Spain

Adapter Plugs .... Ireland & UK use a 3 pin While Europe (Spain ) use a 2 pin Round

As pointed out Watch your Luggage weight on Ryanair Very strict

Good news is that From USA you land at terminal 2 , then a 15 min walk Via Passport Check to Terminal
1 for the RyanAir flight

No NEED for UK Sterling £ money as Republic of Ireland Use Euros ( € ) as does Spain

Adapter Plugs .... Ireland & UK use a 3 pin While Europe (Spain ) use a 2 pin Round
Thank you for all this information!

I bought this adapter set:

Attachments

• IMG_4120.jpeg
    IMG_4120.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 2
I noticed further up that you are only taking carry-on luggage. It might be worth checking the bags - as you can get a 20kg allowance - vs. a 10kg for hand luggage which might not be sufficient.

Also don't rule out aer lingus - by the time you have added fees etc you may be better off cost-wise with them.

I noticed further up that you are only taking carry-on luggage. It might be worth checking the bags - as you can get a 20kg allowance - vs. a 10kg for hand luggage which might not be sufficient.

Also don't rule out aer lingus - by the time you have added fees etc you may be better off cost-wise with them.
Before you book with Aer Lingus read this article and be aware of what times the customs office is open in Dublin (you go through US customs IN Dublin and when you land in the US are treated like domestic passengers)

https://www.businessinsider.in/thel...-at-the-airport/amp_articleshow/103409437.cms

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter