Entertainer at Poly Fired - Lipoa's Return!! & 'Ohana's changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alohaguy, you are a great friend! Lipoa is lucky to have you as one. Congrats to her--sounds like the good guys won!

to add a little more to the story - we spoke with Lipoa again on the phone tonight and got a few more details. First of all, she is ecstatic, and so grateful to be back. It turns out that through her union rep, and attorneys, her situation was slated to be in arbitration with Disney. She was told that this process would take up to three months or longer. However, apparently due to a large volume of e-mails (which she was told was in the thousands) coming through the Polynesian and on to California, her case was expedited.

Disney acknowledged that the incident was not her fault, but that because it involved something that could be construed as 'sexual' in nature, she had to be terminated for them to protect themselves legaly. It was, however, up to their discretion whether or not to hire her back. I find a company like that hiring someone back after terminating them three weeks earlier to be rare, yet, that's exactly what they did. They acknowledged her large fan base, and told her that she was again wanted at the Polynesian and offered her job back.

They sited several reasons: her eleven years of experience at WDW, her three-time award as 'entertainer of the year' - given to only one person in all of WDW, her strong character references from fellow CM's, and her obviously huge following of supporters who expressed themeselves through e-mails, letters, and phone calls.

So, bottom line, she will be working again at Ohana's starting next Tuesday (9th of January).

She has read every post on these boards and expressed to me her extreme gratitude to all those that supported her. She was told that the e-mails made a huge difference in the speed with which her situation was handled, and for that, she is thankfull to everyone who wrote in on her behalf. (We can make a difference.) She also invites anyone who supported her to talk with her at Ohana's so she can personally say thank you.

It is a very unique situation, I think, and uncommon for a company to rehire someone once they've been terminated. And for those that will say there simply must be another side to this story, I think the proof lies in the fact that she will be at Ohana's on Tuesday.

Welcome back Lipoa ... and thanks to everyone who e-mailed for her.

Alohaguy, you are a great friend! Lipoa is lucky to have you as one. Congrats to her--sounds like the good guys won!

Thanks for that thought, Merriwind. But the truth is, I feel it is the CM's like Lipoa that give WDW what magic it has. Over the years my family has come to enjoy the faces we see just as much, or more, than the place itself. In my opinion, as long as Disney retains people like Lipoa (and there are still many), we can all be sure Walt's spirit will continue (I know that's corny, but I think it's true). At the risk of getting overly sentimental, I've felt large changes in WDW over the years (many not-so-good), and something like this lets me believe some of the wonderful things I experienced as a kid will continue to be experienced by my son, and everyone else's children.

I want everyone to know that Lipoa was very touched by the responses of other members of this board - she was nearly in tears when she told me how much everyone's support meant to her.

Happy endings can happen ...

WOW! Fantasic news!!! I have never had the pleasure of seeing her, but followed the story closely. I was saddened to hear she was let go over this situation.

Alohaguy, as I have sat here and read your updates and good news, I am literally in tears. I am so happy that she will be returning to the Polynesian and that they did the right thing!!!

Thankl you for the time and effort you put into keeping your fellow Disers updated. You are a great friend to her and she is blessed to have you and all of her fans that supported her.

WELCOME BACK LIPOA!!!

Congrats to Lipoa!!!! :banana: What awesome news!!! I'm so very happy for her!!!! :goodvibes

THREE CHEERS FOR ALOHAGUY!!! :cheer2: Despite your protestations to the contrary, you are indeed a special friend. 'Hugs' :grouphug: from all of us for your efforts - AND for your very refreshing sentimentality. pixiedust:

THREE CHEERS FOR THE DIS-ERS too! :cheer2: Isn't it incredible what people can do when they're committed to justice. I think Walt would be proud. :disrocks:

Jessica:thanks:

This is wonderful news!!!

My family will be so excited to hear!! We'll be there on Jan 14th celebrating DD's 7th b-day. When I told her Lipoa, (or Hula hoop, guitar lady) as my DD lovingly addresses her wouldn't be there she was sooo bummed!

Can't wait to share the good news!!

I for one am glad she is back!!! Last year she have me and my mom Lei's (which oddly enough are still hanging from the grandfather clock in the living room...)

It's tha CM's that make Disney what it is...not just rides, etc...

I hope that they have offered her some sort of compensation for the pain that was caused....

And for the guy who was taking the picture... next time you want to lay down to take a picture... make sure there aren't 100 kids ready to kick you upside the head... which you probably need after pulling that stunt!!!

Just wonder what he got out of it?

Welcome back Lipoa!!! Will see you in Oct!!!

Am very happy to hear that she was reinstated, and I am glad that her situation was expedited, particularly at this time of year. :)

Man, what great news! This is so wonderful. I am so happy for Lipoa. She deserved much better treatment than she was given, thats for sure. IMO, now they need to ban the dude responsible for taking the picture from stepping foot back on property. But Im sure Lipoa will let bygones be bygones, because she is that type person.

Welcome Back Lipoa!!

I wanted to add, we recieved a e-mail from Lipoa this afternoon. She is so grateful to all who supported her and she said it really helped her get through the past few weeks.

Alohaguy, you have really done something wonderful here in letting us know about this situation. Great job! And way to stick by your friend. We all need friends like you.

bytheblood, jimmytammy, and mickey's sister: thank you all for the very kind words.

jimmytammy - I'm glad she got back to you. I'm sure she'll respond to everyone that e-mailed her, she is incredibly thankful and feels she owes her good fortune to everyone's support.

Im sure Lipoa will let bygones be bygones, because she is that type person.

This is very true. After all she has been put through - all the rumors, the humiliation, confusion, etc. - Lipoa told me she will return to 'Ohana's with her chin up, and her dignity in tact. No one could take that away.

She wrote in a recent e-mail:

"I won't be bitter though....I will only be thankful and honored to be back. I've learned a lot from this experience........more than any school could ever teach me."

She also wanted me to pass along that she promises to do her best to make people happy at 'Ohana's, as she always has, and she is honored and ready for the challenge of returning.

And Tinkrules - Lipoa did receive a settlement package but she cannot discuss the details as per her agreement. She did, however, say that the she is very happy with the offer.

Thanks to everyone again - I have no idea how many of you sent e-mails, but there must have been hundreds, if not thousands, who expressed there support silently, without mentioning it on this board. Lipoa thanks you all!!

I mean this only in jest, but maybe we should all send her some cute Polynesian-style bloomers. LOL

But on a more serious note, I hope that the guy who told the lies and did the complaining did not get anything free from Disney. I have a feeling that is why he started all of this. Or, to speculate even further, he did it on purpose and was in hot water with his wife and it got blown out of proportion.

Just wanted to add quickly - anyone still interested in contacting Lipoa and welcoming her back, feel free to send me a message and I'll pass along her e-mail address. She loves hearing from everyone.

Also, thanks to everyone that has sent me a private message. I appreciate the gestures.

I am happy to see her hired back.

I still just cant fathom why anyone would complain about a picture that they took, when they were in a bizzare postition..... That person is 'off' in my book.

Glad to hear that she was reinstated. It sounds like truth and justice did pervail.
Lipoa, congratulations are your return.

Or, to speculate even further, he did it on purpose and was in hot water with his wife and it got blown out of proportion.

Funny you should say that. That is exactly what my husband said he bet happened. Hubby took the photo, wifey sees it, gets mad, makes home unbearable, he pursues it to get wifey off his back. Ridiculous, petty, and did I mention ridiculous??

I haven't been following this thread since the first week, but I did send a scathing email to WDW and did not receive an email response. They did, however, just call me at home and tell me that they appreciated the concern, blah, blah, blah. I came out and checked the thread to see the latest. I'm so glad to see she was reinstated! :grouphug:

POWER TO THE PEEPS!! :cheer2: :cool1: :cheer2: :thumbsup2 :cheer2:

I'm not a lawsuit happy type, but I almost think she should sue the guy - for loss of wages, if any, and her court costs. I mean, it was malicious, and she shouldn't have had to pay money to defend herself.

It really says a lot about how out of hand things have become when the sight of underwear is deemed to be sexual. We've all seen more (for better or worse) at the beach, pool, etc.

That being said, WDW, because of the hypersensitivity to situations like this, should do something to prevent something like this from happening again. Enforce a "no photography from ground level" rule?? Sounds silly, but what else can they do?

Great news!!!

Less than half-an-hour ago I heard from Lipoa, and she told me that she has been reinstated at Disney. She told me that after lengthy meetings with lawyers and the musician's union, Disney offered her position back. Also, despite all of the embarassment and downright confusion, she is glad to be back.

So, bottom line, Lipoa will be back at the Polynesian!! I don't know the exact date that she will start again, but will post when I find out.

This is a small portion of an e-mail she just sent me:

"Guess what? I've been reinstated!!!!!!!!!! Disney asked me to come back!!!!!!!!! There was a meeting with all the lawyers and everyone and they said they came to a settlement and had an offer for me and I accepted it with Graciousness. I am very very thankful and happy.

I feel that more than anything else, my good name has been restored. And that name is my dad's name and that means the most to me. I am grateful that people will see that righteousness has prevailed and all those ugly rumors they said about me weren't true!!! That was the worst thing for me about this whole fiasco was the rumors I heard about."

So thank you to everyone that showed support - whether any of it was seen by anyone at Disney or not, it doesn't matter, because Lipoa knew of everyone wishing her well and it made it easier for her to get through a difficult time.

So from everyone who wished her well and were stunned to hear of her situation: WELCOME BACK LIPOA!!!

I will post again with more details about how/why she was reinstated, when I get them - I suspect this will include some clear-cut admission of error on Disney's part, how else would they explain reinstating someone that had been terminated less than one month earlier? In the end, it was worth every bit of effort she put forth to fight - sometimes the little guy wins!

ALOHA

I'm glad to hear this. We have always enjoyed her being at Ohana's!

I'm not a lawsuit happy type, but I almost think she should sue the guy - for loss of wages, if any, and her court costs. I mean, it was malicious, and she shouldn't have had to pay money to defend herself.

Lipoa as much as she does have good reason to do this, would not. We have been in contact with her via email, and she is so happy this is behind her, and ready to move on. As alohaguy has stated, she would be happy to hear from anyone here by email to wish her well or congratulate her. He has her email. If you PM him, he can give it to you.

On another note, DW mentioned I should write an email to guest relations at WDW and let them know how pleased I am with the outcome.

And alohaguy, hats off to you once again. Three cheers for alohaguy, hip-hip, hooray! Hip-hip, hooray! Hip-hip, hooray!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter