Envelope System

We have been using the envelope system for a few years now. I love it. I have the following envelopes:

Car insurance
Home insurance
Trash removal
Water
Food
Gas
Sports (for my kids fees and cleats/uniforms)
School trips
Haircuts/grooming
Household items
Clothing
eating out
birthday gifts
Doctors/pharmacy
Car repairs
Home maintenance

It may seem like a lot of envelopes but I have an excel spreadsheet to track how much goes in each envelope. It has really worked for us.

We have been using the envelope system for a few years now. I love it. I have the following envelopes:

Car insurance
Home insurance
Trash removal
Water
Food
Gas
Sports (for my kids fees and cleats/uniforms)
School trips
Haircuts/grooming
Household items
Clothing
eating out
birthday gifts
Doctors/pharmacy
Car repairs
Home maintenance

It may seem like a lot of envelopes but I have an excel spreadsheet to track how much goes in each envelope. It has really worked for us.

Do you add money to each category every pay period? Or do you have a system for adding money?

I have "e-envelopes" on a spreadsheet and each pay period I put every single penny somewhere into one of the categories or e-envelopes. Some of our e envelopes, to give you ideas since you asked are: car payment, school & sports (we have 3 school aged kids all in sports, this covers new gear, playing fees, class pictures...), power/gas, cable, hair care, orthodontist, garbage, sewer, water, entertainment.
Yes it might seem like a like of categories, but it helps so much.
To give you an idea, our power company is call Avista. Each month I electronically stick $200 from our first paycheck (we only get paid twice a month) into the Avista e-envelope. Our last bill was actually $244, but it will start to come down now through the summer months. During the summer I tend to pay about $80-120 a month. So I averaged our bills for the last couple of years and it is about $180 over 12 months. (higher in the winter, lower in the summer), but since I put $200 in a month, I have a nice little cushion in the Avista e envelope. I have on several occasions taken the cushions from a category to fund a trip, leaving extra in that particular e envelope of course, I won't ever bleed it dry.
Anyways, that is how I do our personal budget each month and have been doing it that way for many many years. It works for me. :goodvibes

I think this is the way I'm going to go! I appreciate you sharing your system with me!! I'm very organized in most areas of my life, but needed to find a method of organizing our finances. I think this is a great way to do it. I'll sit down with bills and calculator in hand tonight and figure how much to save on average for bills like gas and hydro in e-envelopes, and then create actual envelopes for things like groceries, eating out, kids expenses ... Thank you so much everyone for your responses and advise! It is much appreciated! :worship:

We use a virtual envelope system. The only cash that comes out is for our personal spending money (a budgeted amount each month). We have a very detailed excel sheet that tracks all the monthly expenses--the things that would have been in an envelope--but all of it gets put on the Amex and then that gets paid off every month. Almost everything is set to automatic payment. There is a line item ("envelope") for unepected items and if that doesn't get used then it just rolls over to the next month and extra goes into savings.

To get started, we spent a couple of months just tracking every dollar spent and then we were able to set up the "envelopes" and also see where we could cut back.

an important piece, at least for us, is preparing for big once-a-year expenses so that in the month something like that gets paid, there is no bump in the system.

We've been doing this for several years now, and it got put to the test this past October. My husband had surgery and neither of us paid attention to the finances until after Christmas--we just paid the Amex when the bill came without looking at what we had spent. In January when we finally went in to update the excel spreadsheet and get back on track, everything looked exactly as it was supposed to--no surprises!

Thanks for your responses everyone! I'm not sure if this makes sense, but to me, using the debit card does not equate to using real money. I know that sounds ridiculous, but if I use cash I am MUCH more careful! And any money left over at the end of the month goes into the Disney Fund!!

Yep, makes perfect sense!

I don't think it is ridiculous at all! I think one common problem with debit card management is that it encourages you to make spending decisions based on how much money is in your account. But that doesn't tell you what other things that same money needs to be doing! A zero-based envelope system, whether in cash or digitally managed, helps you to know that it doesn't matter if you have $3000 if that $3000 has the job of paying rent, taxes, car insurance, etc. It's easy to look at $3000 and say, I can afford dinner! With some form of envelope budgeting you don't get the money all mixed up that way, and if there is no money in the "eating out" category/envelope you know you can't afford to eat out. It's made such a huge difference for us, and after some practice, we even became comfortable using credit cards for rewards again safely knowing all our purchases are budgeted and the bill can be paid in full on any given day (and I usually pay it twice a month out of paranoia!!)

I had this problem and it sucked. I always wondered where the heck my money went.

we've been using envelopes off and on, more on now, for 5 years and it make s a HUGE difference for us.

First we have 2 different banks one bank has income auto received and most bills auto debited. The other is for our day to day stuff. From the day to day stuff we have 3 different accounts - day-to-day, cushion, gifts (this is basically just saving for CHristmas b/c it gets so expensive).

From our day-to-day we take out the money each pay period for our envelopes.

We have an envelop for each member of the family. Every single one of us gets the same amount each pay-period, $20. We take half of each child's (7 and under) and that goes to their savings. The rest is for them to decide what to do with (plus we have and extra $20 each pay period that they can earn if they do extra things around the house - washing floors etc). So that's 6 envelopes for spending.

An envelope for pets - dog food costs us $80/month then we know we'll have other things like treats, poopbags, toys, beds etc that need replacing every few months or so. We also have an aquarium that needs a decent amount of cash put into it, but not all the time. So we put $100 into pets each month - whatever isn't spent, just stays there until needed.

We have a car envelope. My gas money goes into here b/c I'm more likely to have time to go in to pay than DH - and his gas is pretty set in stone b/c his vehicle is almost always exclusively for commuting. My gas spending is about $100/month - we put $100/pay period - so twice a month - the rest goes towards potential upkeep. We just had a minor accident with a $250 deductible charge - we had cash for it from months of savings.

We also have a business envelope - I'm saving to start a business, I get $25/month - it's not much, but it's getting me where I want to be.

Gifts - these are for birthday parties, and friends presents, weddings etc. We put $25/month in there. For most gifts we put a cap on how much we'll spend for a certain event - friends/kids birthdays are $25 - (our children get homemade presents so minimal cost most of the time).

Dates - $10-20/month - this is for any outing. Yesterday I took our children to the local nature centre - that came from date money. If we want to order pizza, that's date money, movies etc that all comes from here (no, we don't go out much, but over time we get enough to buy a family pass, then we are able to go out as a family frequently while still saving.

B/c I buy my groceries online we leave that money in our account - we have meal plan so we are able to be pretty exact in our groceries budget. Kids' lessons come out of our account, bills are out of the account. We have exactly enough in our account each month to cover our expected bills - the rest gets put toward debt, or savings. We keep a minimum of $3000 in savings in case we need it. As long as we have that, then the rest goes to debt - the exception being if we know an expense is coming up.

This year we want to finish our basement, do some landscaping, and go to WDW. The trip is most important, so we put money aside for that first. Once it's paid off, then we put mine towards landscaping b/c that's a limited time frame we have to do it. Then we put money aside for the basement. All the while we have money auto withdrawn for debt, and we add at least an extra $10 to each item, as well as an extra $100 to the bill that causes me most stress.

In general we see a lot of money in our hands each day, this give positive feelings, and seeing the debt we're upset about decreasing also leaves us with positive feelings.

I have been doing this for years..........it started when we bought our house end of summer - we knew we wanted a pool the next summer so I started an envelope for the "pool".

27/28 years later - I have a few envelopes

Christmas
Vacation
Car Insurance
DVC Dues
Misc.
Whatever project is next in the house (paint, etc.)
Parties (we have quiet a few during the year (bridal/baby showers,
confirmation, communion, weddings, etc.

It's for big ticket items - right now I have one for my son's wedding.

I just split my check minus my pocket money for the week. It's not much. I work p/t. It might be 10/20/30 a week in each envelope depending on how many hours I work. DH is all straight in the checking so I don't bother to take anything out.

It's great - by the time the incident comes/is due, I have a nice amount set aside. (I used to have more when DH brought home an actual paper check).

Do you add money to each category every pay period? Or do you have a system for adding money?
I know you didn't ask me this, but for me we have some categories that get funded from paychecks only once a month, others twice. We get paid twice a month. So the first paycheck gets separated into certain envelopes, the second pay check of the month goes into some of the same envelopes as the first but not all. For example, the second paycheck funds our mortgage payment (but nothing for that comes from the first paycheck). My othodontist fund is split, I put some in from both pay checks. Vacation money, I pull from both paychecks. Birthday & Christmas category I pull just from second pay check. Really, it's on what you have due at particular times of the month.

I think this is the way I'm going to go! I appreciate you sharing your system with me!! I'm very organized in most areas of my life, but needed to find a method of organizing our finances. I think this is a great way to do it. I'll sit down with bills and calculator in hand tonight and figure how much to save on average for bills like gas and hydro in e-envelopes, and then create actual envelopes for things like groceries, eating out, kids expenses ... Thank you so much everyone for your responses and advise! It is much appreciated! :worship:
That's great! If you are organized in most other area's of life, you will find it very easy to fall into being organized with your budget as well. I'm the same way, I feel like I'm a pretty organized person. I would panic if I didn't live on a budget. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I haven't allotted my money into its proper categories/envelopes. LOL.
You will have to keep us posted, and let us know if it is working for you. Give it some time to get things going. :)

Thanks! I'm working on a new system. I think using plastic was our problem before. I'm trying to use cash except for bills. I need more money or fewer categories, lol!

So sorry I am just responding now, I have been away from the computer for a few days. Yes every week (my husband and I get paid on opposite weeks, his pays for most of the bills). so for the water bill its every three months and I put in the envelope $15 a pay period. When the bill comes I put the money in my account and write the check or pay online. For food I put in $225 on Dh payday and $100 on my payday (with 3 boys I go shopping weekly). For gas same thing I put $100 on DH payday and $50 on my payday. For sports I put $ in the envelope on my pay day. I figured out what the fees are per year for the sports they play, and some travel costs too (Youngest DS is on travel baseball), plus the average cost of cleats and uniforms and divided it by 12. Some months I have a good amount in there but then when baseball signups came in January I took the $ out and put it in the bank and wrote the check. I wish I had done this system a long time ago. Would have saved a lot of headaches.

For every envelope money is put in every pay day from my DH pay. Some envelopes money is put in every week (from DH and my paycheck) like food, gas and eating out.

I have a spread sheet I made for my budget if you would like me to send it to you I'd be happy to email it to you.

I'm just starting a new budget. I'm keeping bill money and savings in the bank. Gas, groceries, spending are all cash. I'm trying to prove to DH that the debit card is the root if our issues! Lol. First week=great start!! Trying to build up a savings. DD needs a car soon and I need a trip to WDW.

The plastic is the 2nd issue. The 1st issue is knowing that there is money in the bank in the first place, lol. :)

Something I would do is this: I would have the good old change jar set up so that at the end of the day, when there is money left, in the jar it goes. If you're diligent about how you use cash over plastic, you can get quite the coin collection in a hurry. This can in turn help pay for something with your vacation.

If you have a local bank like we do here in my area, if you know exactly how much change you have, you can even get a prize when cashing in your coins, it's a little contest, cheesy, but fun.

You guys have been so helpful with your comments and advice! I appreciate you sharing your systems and what works well for you!! Thanks everyone! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter