Epcot, AK and DHS have been slow all summer?

OnSpaceshipEarth

DIS Veteran
My family had a wonderful week-long visit this past July staying at the Poly. Except for the abundant showers in the afternoon we had our usual magical visit. One alarming aspect of our vacation was how EMPTY all of the parks(other than MK) were during our stay. We had made ADR's MONTHS ahead of time because our past experience showed that it was necessary.

WOW...except for Cinderella's Royal Table, all of the restaurants we reserved were half-empty(at best). Epcot(in particular) was EMPTY. Well, I have a friend at work that has a sister that lives in Orlando and she told my friend that DHS/Epcot/AK have been empty ALL summer. She has an annual pass and goes almost bi-weekly and says that she has NEVER seen it this bad.

Anyone know what's going on?

Is Walt Disney World falling back into being a one-day visit for the majority of vacationers. Staying off-site and visiting the Magic Kingdom only? It reminds me of the '70's, tbh.

We were there end of June and the parks were pretty much full and very busy.

I went the last week in August so it is a slower week overall but I didn't think the parks were empty. DHS and AK were pretty busy the days we were there, and Epcot was too.

We were there end of June and the parks were pretty much full and very busy.

@Farah

All the parks...or just the MK?

I was shocked at how the Epcot retaurants were so empty with servers standing around with nothing to do at dinner service when July is supposed to be "peak season". We were at Sci-Fi at 5:30 PM and half of the "cars" empty throughout our experience. We were looking ar each other and saying "What's happening to Disney"? The answer can't be good. Sci-Fi used to be the hottest ticket around(that'ds why we got ADR's 4 months ahead of time).

Maybe its just getting too expensive for a lot of families.

@gratefulfred

I'd accept that notion but I'm hearing that Universal has been packed to the gills this past summer...the restaurants...the parks...and (especially) the hotels. When we took the boat back to the Poly from the MK at nigh there were hardly any rooms *lit up* at all of the resorts. That really was another indication that all is not well at Disney.

I hope I'm wrong.

Even the value resorts can cost close to $1000 for a family of four to stay for a week's vacation. Add to that the cost of park tickets and food, Disney is really putting itself out of reach for a lot of middle class families.

Even the value resorts can cost close to $1000 for a family of four to stay for a week's vacation. Add to that the cost of park tickets and food, Disney is really putting itself out of reach for a lot of middle class families.

That may be part of the problem...but how do you explain Universal doing gangbuster business in it's parks, hotels and restaurants? They are equally expensive.

It seems in these tough economic times that WDW has reverted to becoming a 1-2 day stop with the Magic Kingdom being the only visited park. Sadly...DHS, Epcot and the AK being left in the dust.

That may be part of the problem...but how do you explain Universal doing gangbuster business in it's parks, hotels and restaurants? They are equally expensive.

I really think Disney needs to look at expansion, and more than just Fantasyland. With Universal adding the WWOHP a few years ago with more plans to expand that, and then the recent opening of Springfield from the Simpsons, they've been able to pull in the crowds.

Count your blessings, there is nothing wrong with Disney, was there twice in July, both Tue-Wed trips and it was packed, also twice in August in first week quite busy, end of Aug just a little less busy. If you caught a few slow days be happy.

I guess there are only so many times people are willing to ride the same rides over again when there are new attractions a few miles up I4.

I said a few years ago that all those cuts at Disney may not have an immediate effect. But sooner or later there would be a "tipping point" where there would be a sudden and significant % drop in visitors. Maybe that just happened.

Disney's attitude of "more of the same" (eg "New" test track, double capacity of dumbo etc) is a crazy strategy for any theme park. I'm not sure even the dwarfs mine train is going to really be much new either when it finally opens.

Disney is supposedly about magic and surprise, both of which have been wearing very thin in recent years with all the cuts and more of the same strategy.

We were there from 6/16-6/23 and it was packed the whole entire time, at every theme park, we even made rope drop every morning and it was still crowded.

We, too, were there June 16-21 and the parks were very busy. Lines were long at the most popular attractions, but most of the restaurants were not anywhere near capacity when we ate meals.

Was there in July also for 2 weeks, the first week was definitely quieter than the second week but both still seemed quite busy. However, for us it was much quieter than the last time we had been as we went during the Easter holidays (spring break :duck: ) Epcot was definitely the quietest of the lot though so I loved it! :lmao:

I dont' think they're "dead" or have a very serious problem...but if i recall their numbers have a mixed bag. Money is up comparatively but attendance really isn't.

As a traveler, that's pretty good news...less is always more enjoyable as crowd goes.

But, i tend to agree that there could be a developing problem that disney is aware of but has been hesitant to pay to fix. And maybe why it is a foregone conclusion that they do a large scale addition/redesign for studios and spend more time, money...and what's really needed: dedication to EPCOT and animal kingdom.

They don't really give us much new anymore...and no matter how unfair the suits in the Dwarf Building might think that' is...the minute they decide to build a park they should just plan on spending large construction money for the life of the park to keep people on the hook. They are selling the most frivolous/disposable of consumer products...and if you are doing so you don't get any time to rest on your laurels and "collect"...thats the deal. Their investments in orlando have slowed to a trickle based on their volume and revenue there...be honest and say it. A cutesy little redo of abandoned space with shops and a couple of rehashed replicated rides out of the 1960 WDI playbook at the magic kingdom represents their most dedicated activity in WDW since animal kingdom (and that went off the rails from the get go too...not a crown jewel for disney parks), that isn't cutting it if you want to maintain your position of themepark dominance. Eventually erosion is gonna occur...if only on the margins.

But its not all bad for "poor" disney...they use particularly WDW for a large amount of operating capital and stock bump...and they charge basically as much as they want (which probably IS part of the problem...i'll get to that)...so they still are reaping the benefits.

But luckily for us they'll throw money at the parks to try and get them back up...instead of bleeding them into decay (a la six flags who even has done alot of investment themselves)...the empire will strike back. And they can because they are a corporate entertainment juggernaut that has never been worth more (if you believe in the "value" that the pack of criminals known as "finance" peddle on the rest of the world). Disney has an interest to keep their gravy train on the tracks...so good days for the customer could be ahead. The period since animal kingdom has been the most stagnant time in the history of disney parks for some of the sites...notably the Flagship and Paris. They just haven't done what they need to do (and spend) to keep the places fresh. If the market determines everything...then they should be in decline, all things being equal.

But as much as they throw how much they've "spent" at investor events and press functions...they really have done the cruise control thing in florida for along time. Eisner lost his mojo and Iger is real proud of himself for basically squeezing the oranges to get a little more juice out of them. Iconic entertainment giants...they are not.

But i also think they've priced some people out...prices always rise...but they've really gone a little haywire the last five years or so. Realistically, they should have probably froze or even reduced during the condo scam bubble collapse...but they kept chugging along with increases as if nothing had happened...while also complaining about having to discount.

The other thing...and this isn't disney but everywhere...is the "recovery" is a hoax. Its not for the greedys that screwed everything up in the first place...but the middle class (disney's core business)- whatever that is - hasn't seen and increase in disposable income in decades and a good wall street created credit scam on the global scale does damage to the average american that isn't able to recover from. That's just the US...the world economy gets yanked around even more than americans do by the decisions americans make. They're lucky to creep back to the pre 2000 level (relative to inflation) before massive, easy, stupido debt was dumped on the entire system. we all know the factors: housing gambling, massive consumer society credit debt, massive college debt, and the shifting of almost all paying wages overseas if possible...

The average joe isn't doing better...his house hasn't regained its value...he's not making more now than he did 5 or 10 or 20 or 30 years ago when looked at as part of the system.
And perhaps that is out of disney's control. But it's real, if you can find the information, read it for yourself, and process it like a math/science equation...which deal in facts.

Disney really SHOULD be suffering...they haven't done what they have needed for awhile.
Here's hoping that they - grudgingly of course - just swallow it and make more effort to do so.

Count your blessings, there is nothing wrong with Disney, was there twice in July, both Tue-Wed trips and it was packed, also twice in August in first week quite busy, end of Aug just a little less busy. If you caught a few slow days be happy.

All the parks, or just Magic Kingdom?

Disney has increased prices by a good 10% per year for at least the last 3 years, we used to go 3 times a year, now we will likely go once. Disney is screwing up their pricing, people will still go but they won't go as much imo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter